Lack of tourists

Paangjang

Anybody else noticed the lack of tourists? I mean its supposed to be high season. There were less at this weeks Sunday market than 2 months ago... I presume it's related to the protests in Bangkok. Not sure what other reason it could be.

• Like 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya seems packed.

I guess other parts of Thailand are more affected by the protests, because the tourists going there are more, erm, information sensible or risk-averse.

Then of course, there are also Chinese who don't care too much.

Edited by manarak

Now, Winnie, give the guy a break! He is just expressing the usual anecdotal observation, as we all do!

All in all, my impression is that this political outburst (and it won't be the last for quite some time) has received quite balanced reporting in the internationally broadcast media. I do not include provincial media in other countries. I have noted that reporters generally point out that protests are channeled locally in Bangkok, which may or may not be an inconvenience --- so long as some idiot doesn't decide to occupy an airport! That really puts a dent in vacation plans. (This potential threat is what leads various other country consulate officers to drink!)

It is true that many, many people just read travel brochures and 15-second "pop" news at home, and I do (sort of) feel sorry for them. New world travelers are especially vulnerable. In the case of Chiang Mai, this will scare off a lot of tourists who have been stimulated only by a popular movie about Thailand. Regrettable.

On the other hand, I would not recommend traveling to the Central African Republic in the near future.

• Like 1

Anybody else noticed the lack of tourists?

Thailand did say they'd had something like 300,000 cancellations costing the economy $600 million or something.

I suppose after reading the O/P's observations they were forced to abandon the don't-ask-don't-tell strategy.

Edited by Suradit69

So who could the Thai people blame for lack of tourists they could try themselves at long last they have successfully managed to chase away tourists in reasonable numbers they can give themselves a large pat on the back for this, now to get rid of the expats and that will be the job completed.

For what it's worth, the Thai guy i buy my freshly-made orange juice from in the local market said today that tourist numbers have been down this year AND last - and he is situated on a corner where he sees everyone who walks through what is a well-promoted 'ethnic' market in a city. Just a local measure, but one i trust.

• Like 1

Now, Winnie, give the guy a break! He is just expressing the usual anecdotal observation, as we all do!

All in all, my impression is that this political outburst (and it won't be the last for quite some time) has received quite balanced reporting in the internationally broadcast media. I do not include provincial media in other countries. I have noted that reporters generally point out that protests are channeled locally in Bangkok, which may or may not be an inconvenience --- so long as some idiot doesn't decide to occupy an airport! That really puts a dent in vacation plans. (This potential threat is what leads various other country consulate officers to drink!)

It is true that many, many people just read travel brochures and 15-second "pop" news at home, and I do (sort of) feel sorry for them. New world travelers are especially vulnerable. In the case of Chiang Mai, this will scare off a lot of tourists who have been stimulated only by a popular movie about Thailand. Regrettable.

On the other hand, I would not recommend traveling to the Central African Republic in the near future.

Well my friends I will chirp in my 2 cents worth!! In Chiang Mai there are fewer tourists this year! I own a restaurant/bar and have managed to increase my business by over 20%! Now ask yourself this question! I have 20% less guests how am I going to make it through these tough times! In my case, it was providing a quality product (Food),at a great price!! Drinks do not factor into my success! So if you have the food, then you need to back it up with a friendly staff and good atmosphere! Also the propieter should be there to greet guests once in a while and engage in some friendly chats! Be amazed what you learn from other people in all walks of life!

I guess what I am trying to convey it is not the quantity but rather the quality that gets you through the difficult times!!

Leo is starting to kick in !!

Ciao!!

• Like 2

There were a TON of tourists at Suvannabhumi when I arrived at about noon from Taiwan on Sunday 8/12...two separate immigration intake areas were filled up (when did they even open the second one?!) and I had about 20-25 minute wait in line, up there with the longest I've ever had.

I'll say it again. Tourism numbers are higher than ever. There are so many Chinese tourists here right now it is unbelievable. I have no idea where the people who claim a lack of tourism are looking but it makes no sense when I hear people say this. I was out last night. First I tried to go to the NAP Festival but after about 40 minutes of driving around and burning up gas I gave up as it was absolutely impossible to find parking. Each and every soi was absolutely packed with tourists. The g/f got out and asked a guy if we could park in a spot near a hotel and the guy said that there were not enough parking spots for the guests and many Thai guests were very unhappy about not being able to park. He told her that this was the busiest the hotel has ever been in the 3 years he has worked there and that he has never seen so many tourists attend the NAP Festival before.

Then I went to a restaurant in the city. The restaurant was absolutely packed with people - mostly Chinese tourists. When we sat down the waitress informed us that the wait to get food could be as long as 45 minutes or longer as they had so many orders and were short on staff. My kid could not handle that so we decided to leave, stop at Muang Mai Market for fruit and go home. Guess what? Muang Mai Market was packed with Chinese tourists taking photos of, and buying fruit!

Edited by elektrified

the face or rather faces r changing ...lots more chinese now r travelling ...they r now the no 1 tourists number wise ..mate works in a hotel in cairns its gone from 5%bookings from china to 95% in less than ten years ...he says they r tight fisted lousy tippers ...he loved the yanks or rather now regrets bagging them ...

A friend of mine wanted to cancel until i assured him it was ok. Took him to MBK, Auttaya, Ko San, and Soi Cowboy. Each place had less foreigners than any time I had visited them before.

When the four of us (him, his g/f; me, the missus) went into a place on Cowboy (his g/f request honest thumbsup.gif ) we were the only four people there. This on a Friday night in December.......

Edited by yourauntbob
  • Like 1

We dont see a lot of tourists out at Mae rim but I have noticed the last few days a lot more vehicles on the road into Chiang Mai. Not sure if there are more festivals or sales going on but the backlog of traffic can get quite long at times.

Agree, there appears to be more and more Chinese in town therefore the chance of hitting one increases....they have absolutely no road or traffic sense facepalm.gif