I am red green color blind.Can I still drive in thailand?

Well here in LOS the traffic lights aren't the standard 3 light stack with red on the bottom.

Am I missing something as I haven't been back to to states in 20 years but when I left red was on the top and green on the bottom same as here. Actually looking through several country traffic lights, that is the standard. Or is my sarcasm detector on the blink. smile.png

220px-Modern_British_LED_Traffic_Light.j

To get a medical certification, I had to "pass" the color blindness test (the number made up of colored dots in the book thing) before seeing the doctor.

To get your license, first thing they do is test you with the red, green and yellow lights. These are random order, random position lights flashing on a display, so you can't memorize what positions represent what colors in advance.

Irregardless of how Thai's drive, how the lights are arranged, you'll have to get past these two hurdles to get a driver license.

To get a medical certification, I had to "pass" the color blindness test (the number made up of colored dots in the book thing) before seeing the doctor.

To get your license, first thing they do is test you with the red, green and yellow lights. These are random order, random position lights flashing on a display, so you can't memorize what positions represent what colors in advance.

Irregardless of how Thai's drive, how the lights are arranged, you'll have to get past these two hurdles to get a driver license.

Yes. The only way way I can see you might get through this problem is if your 'translator' was on hand and very quietly spoken. You also have to pass the 'peripheral vision' test too though, and as it's also colour based you may struggle.

[Just adding verbs and punctuation]

Edited by Slip

Well regardless of what most people think, persons that are Red/Green color blind can see the color of the lights as well as a normal person. The only trouble they have is with the different shades of red and green, some greens look grey and some reds look brown, like in car colors of suit colors. I quite often got the ladies at the stores to mix and match my suit and shirts. The numerical color chart book is a good example as non color blind people can see the number 18, but persons who are color blind can see the 8, not the 1 or if shown an 8 it may look like a 3.

I am red/green color blind and with some difficulty can read the huge colored dots at the Chonbury registry.

Best thing is to go down to the registry and have a look at the color chart on the wall. They are big dots. I hope it's still there. Another thing it was a bit faded as well from memory. That is assuming you are from down that way.

Edited by OZEMADE

You will fail the test, because they do color blind test(well use to)

The only way to stay semi legal that i can think of, is using your home license and IDP

You won't fail any test, don't listen to this rubbish. I am red-green colourblind also.

See there is a word called "conditioning" which most of humans have been exposed to. From childhood we have been exposed to people telling us this is green or red that it becomes the norm.

And do a google search and see just how many males are actually red-green colour blind. The results would mean that 50% or more of the male races would (technically) not be able to drive a car.

Clearly in Thailand, this conditioning has been put aside.

I am also red/green colour blind. It wasn't a problem in Australia because a colour test isn't given, at least in my home state. I was failed on my first Thai test because I couldn't pass the colour test, the second time I had two people, my girlfriend and a falang in front of me who were whispering to me the colours. The Thai who was conducting the test got pissed off and said he'd fail me if anyone called out the colour, but by then it was too late as I'd already named about 6 colours with help. Don't know how I'll go when my 5 years is up.

Edited by giddyup

Well here in LOS the traffic lights aren't the standard 3 light stack with red on the bottom.

Am I missing something as I haven't been back to to states in 20 years but when I left red was on the top and green on the bottom same as here. Actually looking through several country traffic lights, that is the standard. Or is my sarcasm detector on the blink. smile.png

220px-Modern_British_LED_Traffic_Light.j

555 Just checking to see if anyone was on the alert! thumbsup.gif

Yes you can just don't get discouraged when yellow color will be the only one that you recognize at the traffic light, not knowing that its about to turn green or red.

Yellow is just another shade of green.......isn't it? blink.png

• Like 1

Yes you can just don't get discouraged when yellow color will be the only one that you recognize at the traffic light, not knowing that its about to turn green or red.

Yep it is really green with a little blue missing.

You will fail the test, because they do color blind test(well use to)

The only way to stay semi legal that i can think of, is using your home license and IDP

You won't fail any test, don't listen to this rubbish. I am red-green colourblind also.

See there is a word called "conditioning" which most of humans have been exposed to. From childhood we have been exposed to people telling us this is green or red that it becomes the norm.

And do a google search and see just how many males are actually red-green colour blind. The results would mean that 50% or more of the male races would (technically) not be able to drive a car.

Clearly in Thailand, this conditioning has been put aside.

"You won't fail any test"? That's absolute <deleted>! I failed my first Thai test purely because I couldn't identify the colour of the dots the examiner was pointing to, and I only passed the second test because I had my GF behind me whispering what colour it was.

Yep a very high risk of failing the test. For me the colour chart was easy because i could see the difference in the shades the guy was pointing at on the chart... so the darkest one was red, the next dark was green and the lightest was yellow. The thing that will probably trip you up is the pheripheral vision test where they also use colour. I found this absolutely impossible and failed it around 10 or 11 times. My translator had to have a conversation with the testing official and a suitable contribution to the Christmas party fund raising effort was agreed upon in order to get me through.

As some of the other posters have pointed out you will probably fail the colour blindness test used for most medicals in Thailand as its the antiquated circle with dots in test. I am red-green colour blind and fail this test, but I've passed other colour blindness tests. In my case the nurse simply gave me the answer. As I have a driving licence from the UK the only other test involving colours involved a traffic light which is straight forward. Basically you may need some 'help' with the colour blindness test as part of the medical

thanks. So do you mean that if i cant pass the color test i will not get a license for all thailand?thanks again

There are also horizontal signal lights often with arrows... :D

Yep a very high risk of failing the test. For me the colour chart was easy because i could see the difference in the shades the guy was pointing at on the chart... so the darkest one was red, the next dark was green and the lightest was yellow. The thing that will probably trip you up is the pheripheral vision test where they also use colour. I found this absolutely impossible and failed it around 10 or 11 times. My translator had to have a conversation with the testing official and a suitable contribution to the Christmas party fund raising effort was agreed upon in order to get me through.

I failed the colour test (once) but when I did get through on the second attempt (with a lot of help) I didn't have any problems with the peripheral vision test. Strange eh?

It's nothing a bit of cash won't sort out.

totster smile.png

Agree

A cash offer certainly didn't work for me at the Transport Dept. in Pattaya. I think there are too many eyes watching there when you do your test. In a rural area probably a different story.

Good one. It took me a while to get your joke, but well done. :)

Yep, that pheripheral test is tough. Myself and two Thais failed it. We did it again and I failed again. The supervisor was called out and I managed to guess three in a row so she let me pass. When I go again I'm going to practice beforehand. Before you do the test try to notice which color is brightest because its difficult to see any color difference once you start.