Aussie Squad

Simmo

Goalkeepers: Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast Mariners), Stan Lazaridis (uncontracted), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Craig Moore (Newcastle United, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England), Josip Skoko (Stoke City, England), Mile Sterjovski (FC Basel, Switzerland), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol, England)

Forwards: John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Josh Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden, Germany), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Cup fever is escalating in Australia.

The Greek team arrived in Melbourne a few days ago to chaotic scenes at the airport. (Melbourne is the second biggest Greek city in the world by population)

The teams play a friendly at the MCG on Thursday night. A crowd approaching 100,000 is expected to attend.

World Cup paraphernalia are selling at record levels all around Australia as Aussies are starting to realise they will be participating in the biggest sporting event on the planet next month.

Mark Viduka has been named as captain of the Australian team.

World Cup paraphernalia are selling at record levels all around Australia as Aussies are starting to realise they will be participating in the biggest sporting event on the planet next month.

...and will the Aussie powers-that-be have to spend another fortune giving away free shirts to make it look like the fans have some passion? - Lions Tour 2001 springs to mind :o:D

...and will the Aussie powers-that-be have to spend another fortune giving away free shirts to make it look like the fans have some passion? - Lions Tour 2001 springs to mind :o:D

I thought Aussies don't like wearing shirts...

Beer, or boxes of plonk maybe?

Edited by OlRedEyes

No need to stir the passions with this one Jack old mate. It's huge.

I've been known to wear my beverage at various times.

Boxes of plonk, never see them anymore. All exported to Britain these days.

Goalkeepers: Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast Mariners), Stan Lazaridis (uncontracted), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Craig Moore (Newcastle United, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England), Josip Skoko (Stoke City, England), Mile Sterjovski (FC Basel, Switzerland), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol, England)

Forwards: John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Josh Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden, Germany), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England).

If you want to do something....do it correct :D

COACH: Guus Hiddink (The Netherlands) :o

LaoPo :D

No need to stir the passions with this one Jack old mate. It's huge.

That's the spirit :D

The World Cup-bound Socceroos farewelled Australia with a victory full of poise and promise over European champion Greece at the MCG.

A stunning Josip Skoko strike gave the Socceroos a 1-0 win - the quality of the goal matching the quality of the Australian performance, especially in the first half.

Greece managed just one serious attempt on goal for the entire game as a confident Socceroos side thrilled a record 95,000-plus crowd with fluid, attacking football.

Australia took a deserved lead after just 15 minutes, when midfielder Skoko unleashed a left-foot volley from the edge of the penalty box. Man-of-the-match Skoko, Jason Culina and Vince Grella ran the midfield as the home side bossed the European champion throughout.

Fatigue, self-preservation and several substitutions helped created a less disciplined second half performance from the Socceroos as they prepare for only their second appearance at a World Cup finals next month.

The win was the first of Australia's three lead-up matches prior to its World Cup opener against Japan on June 12. And there was plenty to boost their confidence of the Socceroos being able to cause an upset.

But Skoko - who was substituted after an hour - said there was plenty more work to do. "It was a good performance if you also take into consideration how hard we've been working the past three days in training," Skoko said. "I think there's a lot of work to do still, but we showed tonight we're well on the way."

The Wigan midfielder's goal provided the match's highlight as he netted a stunner from a well-worked Marco Bresciano corner.

The Socceroos should have also had a penalty late in the first half when referee Mike Riley was the only person in the stadium to miss a blatant shirt tug by Greek centre-back Sotirios Kyrgiagos on Australian skipper Mark Viduka.

Greece lifted its game in the second half, after making four substitutions, including bringing on regular skipper Theo Zagorakis. But it still couldn't penetrate Australia's defence, even after the Socceroos made four substitutions of their own during the period.

Coach Guus Hiddink sprung a selection surprise prior to kick-off, dropping goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer - the hero of the two Uruguay playoff wins - to the bench for AC Milan `keeper Zeljko Kalac. Kalac had little to do, forced into action only twice in the match.

The Socceroos leave Australia on Friday for a pre-World Cup training camp in Holland.

They play two more friendlies prior to their tournament opener against Japan - tackling Holland in Rotterdam on June 4 and Liechtenstein in Ulm, Germany, on June 7.

©AAP 2006

Totally dominated the European champions in the first half with no Kewell or Cahill. Fought and defended well in the second half as they came into the game.

No injuries and top performances from some of the fringe players like Skoko & Sterjovski.

We're on track for at least 1 upset I hope.

Send us a box of Grange if you see one, Croc....... :D

Send us a box of Grange if you see one, Croc....... :D

OK, thats a promise. :D

:D Wow...95.000 people for just a friendly training match....unheard of.

LaoPo

In Melbourne you can get a crowd of 50,000 for the world knitting championships!

The crowd for a fight between you and a big Croc would easily draw 200.000 :o

LaoPo

LaoPo

In Melbourne you can get a crowd of 50,000 for the world knitting championships!

The crowd for a fight between you and a big Croc would easily draw 200.000 :o

LaoPo

I am the big croc!

LaoPo

The crowd for a fight between you and a big Croc would easily draw 200.000 :D

LaoPo

I am the big croc!

:o:D:D

Krys the crocodile, Normanton, Queensland

Krys the crocodile is reputed to be the largest crocodile ever caught (shot probably) anywhere in the world. (8.63m or 28 foot 4 inches, July 1957)

You're lucky Croc,................. 'Krys' is dead already..... :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

LaoPo

The crowd for a fight between you and a big Croc would easily draw 200.000 :D

LaoPo

I am the big croc!

:o:D:D

Krys the crocodile, Normanton, Queensland

Krys the crocodile is reputed to be the largest crocodile ever caught (shot probably) anywhere in the world. (8.63m or 28 foot 4 inches, July 1957)

You're lucky Croc,................. 'Krys' is dead already..... :D

LaoPo

I've seen the fibreglass replica, in Normanton I think. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when alive. Scary!

The rest of your post loaded after mine. it was Normanton.

Edited by Old Croc

In a warm up friendly yesterday Japan drew with Germany 2-2. Japan apparently controlled most of the play.

Australia meets Japan in it's first world cup fixture.

Does this mean that Japan are very good or are Germany very poor?

In a warm up friendly yesterday Japan drew with Germany 2-2. Japan apparently controlled most of the play.

Australia meets Japan in it's first world cup fixture.

But....coming Sunday the Aussies play against Holland in Rotterdam/Holland a friendly match :o

LaoPo

have the Aussie TV schedulers decided which sport to show the second that the Aussies get knocked out and pretend football (oops soccer) does not exist and is a sport for poofs anyway??

:o so true

... but apparently their going to 'see everyone off' anyway :D