Yingluck picked No 1 party list candidate

Lite Beer

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume the vast majority of posters here are from western style democracies. Yet I find it odd that some here have no problem with Thailand being run by a criminal fugitive. I wonder if they would be fine with this type of government in their home countries?

The other side is ran by a nutjob who is currently on trial for the murder of over 80 Thai civilians, for a 140+ Rai land corruption case where he transferred state land in Koh Samui to rich families and family members.

Oh, and he's also the biggest flip flop in world history.

- i will stop when the amnesty bill is dropped.

- i will stop when the government resigns.

- i will stop when new elections are held.

- oh wait I don't want new elections, want my people's council to rule Thailand

- i want to dissolve the Royal Thai Police and replace it with my own people's guard.

- i don't accept the new election date that was announced by Royal decree.

Can you guess his name?

Yingluck has kept all her promises. She has dissolved the house and called for new elections which is what normal countries do.

Everyone rooting for the nutjob is out of his mind.

I hope for you, that you are just trolling.

A sentence like: Yingluck has kept all her promises. is outrageously ...

If TS want to choose his own grandmother at the head of the PTP up to him

if TS want to choose his mia noi to become the next PTP leader, again up to him

If the PTP members doesnt agree, they are free to leave the boat.

If you dont agree, you can ask your wife to enter politics and create a new party, the people will chosecheesy.gif

<snip for brevity>

Aren't we all supposed to pretend to believe, that Thaksin doesn't own & completely-control PTP, and the government ?

Or has the story-book been revised, yet again, I wonder ? wink.png

I'd just point out, as others will no doubt also do, that only yesterday caretaker-PM Yingluck made a brave speech, telling the country how her family don't want or seek political-power, yet within hours she is nominated as the top party-list candidate on PTP's election-list ! facepalm.gif

Unbelieveable how the lies and spin just spew forth, expecting the sheeple to swallow it all whole.

As you rightly suggest, PTP is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Shinawatra-clan, who think they can do anything or say anything, and get away with it. As you also say, if the Red-Shirts don't like it, they can sod-off somewhere else. I only wish they would do so, and form their own real for-the-poor party, but the lure of the money will continue to prove too strong, I fear. sad.png

• Like 1

This is an incredibly inflamatory step. I'm not buying into right or wrong of Thai politics but making this statement, at this time, is either really dumb or really provocative. Wonder which one it is?

Is it? Now the Thai electorate know from the start the choice they have. Pheu Thai, with Yingluck Shinawatra (you may recoil in horror) as candidate for Prime Minister (if elected) or um er ... possibly Abhisit, if the Democrats don't try and ferment a coup by boycotting the election, or possibly an appointed government for an indeterminate (probably very long) term. The latter will of course all be excellent blokes because they will have been chosen by Suthep and whoever it is who is financing him.

One side has been pretty open so far. They have told everyone where they stand. The others- well, it is a power grab in progress.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, it is an incredibly inflammatory step. The protesters are protesting against the Shinawatra clan, and what happens? An election is called and Yingluck is placed as No.1 on the party list. How can that do anything but inflame the protesters?

its called democracy, not my business not your business, and she will win because it's called democracy

you don't like it? mai bpen rai let the Thai people choose who THEY want at the BALLOT BOX

Typical in-yer-face PT move that demonstrates a pig-headed, ostrich in the sand, attitude. Obviously haven't learnt a single thing from 250,000 voices on the streets.

They might have waited a few weeks before announcing that they are still very much the Shinawatra political party. A little tact might have avoided adding fuel to the fire.

Idiots.

its called democracy, not my business not your business, and she will win because it's called democracy

you don't like it? mai bpen rai let the Thai people choose who THEY want at the BALLOT BOX

That doesn't stop it from being inflammatory.

If she wants the protesters to stay on the streets, then that's up to her.

Unbelievable, stupid and arrogant.

Your describing Thai people in general not just the politicians.

Certainly most of the Thais I've had disagreements with, thankfully, have not argued with logic or ANY sense of fairness.

A corrupt red shirt government would eventually, like most other countrys have, end up modernising Thailand.

The elite have made it clear only a corrupt yellow shirt government can keep Thailand living in their past.

With a red shirt government I'm now paying 300 baht to have my toilet cleaned!

With the yellow shirt government I only had to pay 200!

Thats not fair!

Keeping the peoples level of education practically the lowest in Asia, and treating them like mushrooms is the elites way of keeping the Thainess we all mock, at a level that makes Thailand an Ex-pat heaven.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

If the red shirts had there way and educated the people, we'd be having to pay a lot more for our beautiful girlfriends.

I'm with the yellow shirts on this.

Keep Thailand backward.

Its what makes the Thainess we all love and can appreciate!

The yellow shirts understand, poverty is a wonderful aphrodisiac.

And that is what the average guy loves about Thailand.

Thank God for the Thainess we all mock.

I assume the vast majority of posters here are from western style democracies. Yet I find it odd that some here have no problem with Thailand being run by a criminal fugitive. I wonder if they would be fine with this type of government in their home countries?

The other side is ran by a nutjob who is currently on trial for the murder of over 80 Thai civilians, for a 140+ Rai land corruption case where he transferred state land in Koh Samui to rich families and family members.

Oh, and he's also the biggest flip flop in world history.

- i will stop when the amnesty bill is dropped.

- i will stop when the government resigns.

- i will stop when new elections are held.

- oh wait I don't want new elections, want my people's council to rule Thailand

- i want to dissolve the Royal Thai Police and replace it with my own people's guard.

- i don't accept the new election date that was announced by Royal decree.

Can you guess his name?

Yingluck has kept all her promises. She has dissolved the house and called for new elections which is what normal countries do.

Everyone rooting for the nutjob is out of his mind.

excellent and truthful post

but we see the rich amart clinging desperately to their 'dream' of a non-democratic country led by the elite in Krung Thep and whipping up the mob to believe they are a part of some 'retaking of the country' when in fact they are ripping down the walls of democracy to replace it with the bars of dictatorship

democracy is letting the people decide not a 100,000 crazed mob and if this country had a truly independent Police and Army this would have been quelled days ago but the amart meddle and manipulate as usual

democracy is letting the people decide not a 100,000 crazed mob and if this country had a truly independent Police and Army this would have been quelled days ago but the amart meddle and manipulate as usual

I wonder if you would have posted the same thing back in May of 2010 when Bangkok was on fire after being held hostage for 2 months?

I hope the next pm of Thailand will sue all youre asses for libel and defamation and have the news section on this site shut down for good.

But ... but ... Thaksin promised there would be no revenge or retribution, do you mean to suggest that that was all just a "white lie', quelle horreur ! facepalm.gif

Mind you, going by the way Thaksin's cousin has been handing-out the threats at CAPO, this would only be more of the same, wouldn't it ?

Yay for Red Free-Speech/Thought ! bah.gif

Of course they wouldn't, but it would be no surprise that a lot of them live in Nakhon Nowhere and the 500 baht payment to their wife for the vote is a boost to their income., or they have some sick attraction to Thaksin in a dress.
For some of them it would be a significant income boost at that ! (At least a couple of extra coldies on the steps of 7/11 crew will really notice the difference). ;-) Edited by neverdie

I wonder if you would have posted the same thing back in May of 2010 when Bangkok was on fire after being held hostage for 2 months?

he didn't call elections

he sent in the Army

quiet a different response don't you think?

he didn't call elections

he sent in the Army

He offered to call elections, which the reds accepted, but the man in Dubai pulled the rug out from under the deal. As far as I can tell these demonstraitions have been peaceful except for the red thugs shooting people near Ramkhamhaeng. Quite different from people openly calling for the burning of Bangkok from the red rally stage. If Abhisit should be faulted for anything concerning that mess, it should be for not sending in the army two months earlier.

he didn't call elections

he sent in the Army

Abhisit offered elections, which the red shirts rejected. They were also using automatic weapons and grenade launchers, which the present protesters are not. Does that help put the response into context for you?

Honestly I don't know how some people acquire such a selective recollection of history, but it is quite tiresome. I can only assume weren't actually here and/or drank the Shincorp propaganda Kool-Aid

• Like 2

he didn't call elections

he sent in the Army

Abhisit offered elections, which the red shirts rejected. They were also using automatic weapons and grenade launchers, which the present protesters are not. Does that help put the response into context for you?

Honestly I don't know how some people acquire such a selective recollection of history, but it is quite tiresome. I can only assume weren't actually here and/or drank the Shincorp propaganda Kool-Aid

nice story

the truth was he should have just 'done it' (as Yingluck has) and of course he never won an election so had no mandate but besides that he used the Army to kill innocent people have not seen any evidence of that with Yingluck

after all this killing he LOST the election

This move shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. Thaksin has can't trust anyone outside of his family to run the government the way he tells them to. The experiment with Samak pretty much made that clear to him.

So, who could he choose to be the next PM? Aside from Oak, his own children don't seem to be interested in politics, and even Oak's biggest fan wouldn't claim that his is PM material. Somchai is weak and was quite obviously relieved to be kicked out of office. Payup has frequently been described as the least intelligent of the Shin clan, Yawapa would be perfect, but she is unlikely to add lustre to a campaign or have the personal popularity that Yingluck has. Yawapa's daughter is still too young, cousin Chiasut is too old. That leaves Yingluck or cousin and Foreign Minister Surapong. While Surapong has undoubtedly proved his loyalty again and again, Yingluck's image and popularity wins out again.

People have, with quite a bit of justification, criticised Yingluck's lack of involvement in Parliament and other governmental duties. While I personally suspect that she doesn't get involved in the details of governance because she knows that she would be out of her depth, this has actually helped keep her personal popularity intact. Given all of these facts, it was inevitable that Thaksin would choose her to be PM again.

Looking at the actions of the PT party, they are clearly totally owned and controlled by Thaksin. Their slogan: Thaksin Thinks, Phua Thai Acts is simply the truth. All of the talk about democracy and elites in the past 6 pages of this thread are pretty much irrelevant to what really powers Thai politics. There are two competing personality cults in Thailand and as long as the Thaksin personality cult is dominant in Issan, he and his party will be elected.

I find this choice to be tactically challenging, to say the least!

We all know, what is behind this choice, but it would have been much wiser to pick someone else!

But then again: "wise" and "Thailand"....

• Like 1

nice story

the truth was he should have just 'done it' (as Yingluck has) and of course he never won an election so had no mandate but besides that he used the Army to kill innocent people have not seen any evidence of that with Yingluck

after all this killing he LOST the election

Another one that doesn't understand how a parlaimentary system works. MPs elect the PM, not the electorate. The electorate votes for the MPs. In fact Abhisit has won a few elections in his constituency. Yingluck has never even ran in a constituency. Google is your friend. I suggest you use it. There's alot of information to be had on the internet free of charge.

Entry into politics

Abhisit began his political career in the 1992 general elections that followed the coup, becoming a Bangkok MP for the Democrat Party. He was re-elected to the same seat in the 1995 and 1996 general elections. In the elections of 2001 and 2005, he returned to parliament as a Party List MP for the Democrat Party. He has served as Democrat Party spokesman, Government spokesman, Deputy-Secretary to the Prime Minister for Political Affairs, Chairman of the House Education Affairs Committee, and Minister to the Prime Minister's Office.

I thought that choosing Yingluck and some of the Redshirt Leaders as Partly List MPs and using the "Thaksin Thinks, Phua Thai Acts" campaign motto would be a disaster for them during the last election.

I couldn't have been more wrong.facepalm.gif

We will see what happens during the next election, given my dismal record for past predictions, I won't even try to guess what will happen in February. Of course Yingluck & Co will need to stay in power in order to influence the vote and we will probably see a lot of squabbling over that! To paraphrase the old Chinese curse: We live in interesting times.thumbsup.gif

Negative commentators should note that the Shinawatra's are the safest option for Thailand until the country settles down to paying it bills on time and a true democracy. Just as in the 1997 when Thailand was rushing around like a chicken with it's head cut off until Thaksin Shinawatra was appointed prime minister. Not only was Thaksin able to borrow the necessary money to turn a crisis into a go forward and conquer for the Thailand situation his actions soothed nerves of every other Asian nation facing the similar financial calamity.

Negative commentators should note that the Shinawatra's are the safest option for Thailand until the country settles down to paying it bills on time and a true democracy. Just as in the 1997 when Thailand was rushing around like a chicken with it's head cut off until Thaksin Shinawatra was appointed prime minister. Not only was Thaksin able to borrow the necessary money to turn a crisis into a go forward and conquer for the Thailand situation his actions soothed nerves of every other Asian nation facing the similar financial calamity.

Really?

The Shinawats intend to run up bills not pay them and Thaksin's rice scheme Asia's biggest economic cock up since Mao's Great Leap Forward.

If you are looking for a sound Finance Minister Thailand has one and his name is Korn. Of course he'd have to 'do a Tarit' first so that's a non starter unless the Dems can win the election.

OMG. Your posts just get weirder and weirder.

I would of thought everyone who hates this Government would have been very happy with this choice- we have been told over and over that everyone hates this Government, TS, Yingluck etc, so i would have thought this an ideal opportunity for the Democrats to come back in power with an overwhelming victory in elections..................................

Of course she is a party list candidate. Can't have her facing an electorate that might ask questions about perjury, parliamentary attendance or lack of it, committees she chairs without attending or accepting responsibility for, the costs and benefits of her incessant travel, her lack of veracity and consistency about her brother's influence, how much she has benefited from the rice scam, how much she would have benefited from the amnesty cash return flow on, etc.

These are personal issues before they question her party's policies, economic mismanagement, corruption and willingness to plunge the nation into debt.

As a party list candidate she is guaranteed a seat, even if she never uses it, if her party gets only a small number of votes. In systems without a party list, PMs who have proven themselves far from ideal have been given the boot from supposedly safe seats. Here, scum like the Shin clan and Chalerm are guaranteed election. If that doesn't suck, what does? 

I'll tell you what I think sucks. Forcing an elected government from office by mounting increasingly disruptive protests with a mob, which whilst substantial is nevertheless a fraction of the governments electoral majority, and buoyed up the knowledge that the Police are hamstrung by fear of what will happen if they act effectively. That sucks.

Trying to replace an elected parialiament with an appointed council. Don't bother who is appointed, nobody's going to get a say. That sucks.

Fascist power grabs. They suck.

What I also think sucks is replying to my post with an off-topic rant, which relates to almost none of the points I made.

I don't support appointed MPs, either in a council or by party list, though a council would possibly have fewer scum and criminals than the PTP party list.

It wasn't a rant. You asked what sucks I told you. If you don't want to hear don't ask

I have a little heads up from a "politica" buddy in Bangkok, that this time, there are going to be a few rule changes to put it in concrete how to play the "political' game.

Vote buying, party lists , parliamentary immunity, defamation and media control and freedoms are all up possibly for modification.

On the basis that NO political party wants to grab hold of these issues, the "council" might just do it. I wouldn't believe that Suthep and his bunch are going to try to turn the clock back until I see it for sure. Turn it back to what? As though what went on before really functioned.

• Like 1

Of course she is a party list candidate. Can't have her facing an electorate that might ask questions about perjury, parliamentary attendance or lack of it, committees she chairs without attending or accepting responsibility for, the costs and benefits of her incessant travel, her lack of veracity and consistency about her brother's influence, how much she has benefited from the rice scam, how much she would have benefited from the amnesty cash return flow on, etc.

These are personal issues before they question her party's policies, economic mismanagement, corruption and willingness to plunge the nation into debt.

As a party list candidate she is guaranteed a seat, even if she never uses it, if her party gets only a small number of votes. In systems without a party list, PMs who have proven themselves far from ideal have been given the boot from supposedly safe seats. Here, scum like the Shin clan and Chalerm are guaranteed election. If that doesn't suck, what does?

I'll tell you what I think sucks. Forcing an elected government from office by mounting increasingly disruptive protests with a mob, which whilst substantial is nevertheless a fraction of the governments electoral majority, and buoyed up the knowledge that the Police are hamstrung by fear of what will happen if they act effectively. That sucks.

Trying to replace an elected parialiament with an appointed council. Don't bother who is appointed, nobody's going to get a say. That sucks.

Fascist power grabs. They suck.

The reason the people had to take to the streets is because the PTP Government refused to step down after a shameful set of events over the previous couple of weeks - any other country after such a debacle the government would have resigned without any pressure, most people shit then get off the pot PTP stayed on the pot and the stink was rotten to the core

Not to mention all the other stuff associated with this government

OK so you deleted my post whilst I was still writing it. Perhaps you'll be kind enough to point out what the point is of blocking content that doesn't sing the same song as the rest of the commentators?

Edited by indyuk