Immigration opens applications for Permanent Residency

Notification of Immigration Bureau
Admission of application for residential permit in the year B.E. 2556(2013)

According to the notification from Minister of interior by approval of the cabinet issued on November, 14 B.E. 2556 (2013) regarding quota of aliens to have residence in the Kingdom for the year 2013 the following stipulations are applied.
1. 100 persons of each nationality, Colony or colonies of each country shall be considered as one country while each Sovereign state shall be considered as one country and 50 persons for stateless people.

2. The application can be submitted on the date 11- 27 th of December B.E. 2556 (2013) during office hours.

3. Place to submit the application:
In Bangkok :
- During 11-27 December, 2013 contact at Imperial World Ladprao, 5th Floor (Immigration Service Center for 3 National Legalized Labors) Click here to view a map
- During 16-27 December, 2013 contact at Sub-division
1 ,Immigration Division 1, The Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty The King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary,5th December, B.E. 2550 (2007), Building B, 2 Floor, Counter D, 120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Thungsonghong Sub-District, Bangkok 10210

In other regions : At local or near by Immigration Office/Checkpoint,

Edit:

Map for ladprao office here: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/Eng.imperial.jpg

For the requirements for PR look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camerata-s-Guide-Permanent-Reside-t74654.html

• Like 1

The link: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/Eng.imperial.jpg Not Found

The requested URL /en/Eng.imperial.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache/2 Server at bangkok.immigration.go.th Port 80

Try: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/Eng.imperial.jpg

The link: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/Eng.imperial.jpg Not Found

The requested URL /en/Eng.imperial.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2 Server at bangkok.immigration.go.th Port 80

Try this one: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/Eng.imperial.jpg

Seems a little silly for this year as nothing will be done

Not sure what you mean. Certainly the applications will be filed and Immigration will process them, regardless of the political situation. It has been taking several years to get the minister's signature lately anyway. So the fact that the minister has just become a caretaker minister makes no difference to this year's batch.

Good luck to all applying this year.

waiting for my approval already 7 yearssad.png

Have you contacted immigration about it. They completed all the pending applications up to 2009 last year.

It's things like this that makes me have a real 'love/hate' relationship with Thailand. I'm married, support an extended family, have Thai friends, a home -- I live here. I'm not going back to my country of origin. This is where I live. But they just make it so difficult. It's just frustrating and disheartening. I'm sad for the country. So much beauty and so much.....other 'stuff'.

This should be of no interest to you. My understanding is being married you can bypass the PR and go straight to citizenship. I have looked at the process and as long as you have a job and pay taxes for three years it seems straight forward....

Have you contacted immigration about it. They completed all the pending applications up to 2009 last year.

It's things like this that makes me have a real 'love/hate' relationship with Thailand. I'm married, support an extended family, have Thai friends, a home -- I live here. I'm not going back to my country of origin. This is where I live. But they just make it so difficult. It's just frustrating and disheartening. I'm sad for the country. So much beauty and so much.....other 'stuff'.

Yes, but try the USA or the land of Oz and I bet you would say the same thing. You know Thailand is your home and so does all you know. Be patient they need your kind here.

Well, I got mine in 1988 and never regretted it. And for once I think it is a privilege which you would not obtain in many other countries. The difference to citizenship is in the land owning and the voting. You forget about stay visas, 90 days notifications and residence confirmations for banks, vehicle purchases etc. etc. You can buy condominiums in the Thai allotment and do not need to transfer the funds in but pay with locally earned money. Work permit is a walk in the park as - by law - they have to let you work to earn a living since they granted the right to stay indefinitely.
You'll need an endorsement and a re-entry permit (which is valid for a year) IF you want to leave the country. You may, however, not be out of Thailand for more than 364 days in one go and have to return within the validity of the re-entry visa otherwise the RP expires.

If you are not going anywhere then you do …… absolutely nothing. There is a brownish police book which needs to be presented and stamped every five years to confirm, that you're still living at the given address. You go onto a blue house register and life is a breeze. Well worth the official fees of THB 194'000 (single) or half if married to a Thai spouse.

• Like 2

This should be of no interest to you. My understanding is being married you can bypass the PR and go straight to citizenship. I have looked at the process and as long as you have a job and pay taxes for three years it seems straight forward....77 given out last year good luck better chance becoming a fortune 500 CEO

Been there every 6 month to renew my non-imm. Always ask about the progress. Mostly get no reply, or a smile, or been told "soon".

Although a few problems with PR from 06, things seem to be catching up. Its a shame that there are so many negative comments. Citezenship here is by far a lot easier than many "Western countries". Three extensions with a job paying tax etc etc with a grasp of the language and you can apply....thats not difficult. I personally think its easy and my app goes in next year.

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 1

Look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camerata-s-Guide-Permanent-Reside-t74654.html

In short: you need to work in Thailand for at least 3 years and be on yearly extensions of stay for at least 3 years and be able to converse in simple Thai. Income is an important factor, if not married advised is an income of at least 80,000 a month (from within Thailand).

Admission of application for residential permit in the year B.E. 2556(2013):

It is up to everybody personally to decide, if it is worth to apply for this RP. I don't think it is as difficult in other countries like in Europe or the USA (equals Green Card???).

And what about people beyond the age of working? How can they apply? Nada, "we didn't expect that" will be the likely answer to such a question. Even though such people don't take away a job for a Thai...

In any case, they made it exclusive by jacking up the price a couple of years ago from around 50K to 200K, when it is granted. That was the point in time, when I buried the thought of doing this, even if I have had good prospects. 40 years of a regular Non-Im for a year until you break even with the cost of the RP. And what do I know, what next year will be? Maybe another xenophobic guy like Taksin et al at the helmet and then what?

But then again, as long as so many people apply, they can set the price up and upper, that is called a market-driven price... As for me, I prefer to leave the country every 3 months, just for the change of environment. A week here or a week there, outside Thailand, why not? The world is bigger and has more on offer than only Thailand...

Sam M.

My understanding is being married you can bypass the PR and go straight to citizenship

Very frustrating about the need for males to be married to a Thai. I'm happily divorced (2 times) from Thai ladies and would rather cut my own wrists with a rusty ploughshare than marry another!

I'd apply tomorrow for citizenship if it weren't for that rule. (According to the points system, I would get a high score on all other counts).

One of my ex's said she's marry me again if it helped to get me citizenship, but I think her husband would complain about this....

Strangely (or not), many of the local Thais in my community assume that I already have Thai citizenship, (my ability to eat spicy somtam, sing off-key karaoke and play the Khaen seems to help).

Simon

• Like 1

For many years applications and application fees were taken, and no one was given permanent residency. meaning it is only a scam, this has changed?

Absolute nonsense - you have no idea what you are talking about.

At the time of Application you only pay a small Deposit (I think Baht 7,000.- ) and the Police Department responsible will not even accept your Documents - and therefore the Deposit - unless they think you have a real chance of eventually obtaining Permanent Residence.

Patrick

Well, I got mine in 1988 and never regretted it. And for once I think it is a privilege which you would not obtain in many other countries. The difference to citizenship is in the land owning and the voting. You forget about stay visas, 90 days notifications and residence confirmations for banks, vehicle purchases etc. etc. You can buy condominiums in the Thai allotment and do not need to transfer the funds in but pay with locally earned money. Work permit is a walk in the park as - by law - they have to let you work to earn a living since they granted the right to stay indefinitely.

You'll need an endorsement and a re-entry permit (which is valid for a year) IF you want to leave the country. You may, however, not be out of Thailand for more than 364 days in one go and have to return within the validity of the re-entry visa otherwise the RP expires.

If you are not going anywhere then you do …… absolutely nothing. There is a brownish police book which needs to be presented and stamped every five years to confirm, that you're still living at the given address. You go onto a blue house register and life is a breeze. Well worth the official fees of THB 194'000 (single) or half if married to a Thai spouse.

It is true that you can buy condos without having to transfer funds from overseas but I don't think you can buy from the Thai quota. I believe that the Condominium Act only specifies Thai nationals for that, not PRs. Getting a WP is no longer much different. In 2011 the Labour Ministry succumbed to pressure from Immigration to require 4 Thai employees per WP to close the loophole of people using 90 day NON-B visas to avoid getting 12 month extensions which was where Immigration imposed the 4 Thai employee rule. Whether inadvertently or not that eliminated the privilege of PRs to operate their own small business without any Thai employees. I actually went to the Labour Ministry to enquire about this and they confirmed that there are no longer any privileges for PRs in applying for or renewing WPs. They even pointed out that the requirement to give priority to Thai workers applied equally to PRs as any other foreigners but that those with Thai spouses have the privilege of only needed B1m paid-up capital per WP.

You forgot to mention that you can apply for Thai citizenship without being married to a Thai, get married without an affirmation of freedom to marry from your embassy and own a gun!

I am still happy to have PR but am realistic about its benefits.

Admission of application for residential permit in the year B.E. 2556(2013):

It is up to everybody personally to decide, if it is worth to apply for this RP. I don't think it is as difficult in other countries like in Europe or the USA (equals Green Card???).

And what about people beyond the age of working? How can they apply? Nada, "we didn't expect that" will be the likely answer to such a question. Even though such people don't take away a job for a Thai...

In any case, they made it exclusive by jacking up the price a couple of years ago from around 50K to 200K, when it is granted. That was the point in time, when I buried the thought of doing this, even if I have had good prospects. 40 years of a regular Non-Im for a year until you break even with the cost of the RP. And what do I know, what next year will be? Maybe another xenophobic guy like Taksin et al at the helmet and then what?

But then again, as long as so many people apply, they can set the price up and upper, that is called a market-driven price... As for me, I prefer to leave the country every 3 months, just for the change of environment. A week here or a week there, outside Thailand, why not? The world is bigger and has more on offer than only Thailand...

Sam M.

There is no age restriction but you do need to submit 3 complete calendar years' of tax receipts from employment in Thailand covered by a valid WP for that period and a letter from employer confirming your employment. Job changes within the period are accepted, as long as there are no gaps. Once your application has been accepted and you have been interviewed it is quite all right to retire without becoming disqualified.

Like many government fees and qualifications the price for this tends not to be increased for many, many years and then the price is whacked up to catch up with inflation. When I first enquired, the minimum salary required to apply for citizenship was B7,000 per month which not even enough to get a WP. By the time I got around to applying about 9 years later I needed B80,000. Until 1998 the lump sum required to qualify for a retirement extension was B200,000. Then it was increased to B800,000 and has been there for 15 years, so will probably up for adjustment in line with inflation before too long. Same for family member extensions but they usually grandfather those already in.

Many farangs are retired in Thailand and/or married to Thais but it is important to understand that the vast majority of applicants for PR do not fit this profile. Most are Asian, particularly Indians and Chinese, who have moved to Thailand for better business prospects and many arrive already married to partners from their country. They have decided to settle in Thailand permanently and have often started their own businesses or come to join businesses started by relatives who came earlier. For those without Thai spouses PR is their only route to Thai citizenship, the ownership of their own businesses and the creation of a secure future in Thailand for their children and retirement and marriage extensions don't cut it for them. So basically the Thai government has plenty of demand for the product it is offering, however flawed it may be (and it is), and couldn't care less about the situation of farangs who don't qualify, can't afford it or aren't interested. Sorry to say that but it's the truth.