Issans finest - the Eton

David48

Eton Photos - vote for 12 of them.  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gentlemen, we need your help.

Currently we are choosing the best 12 images of the Eton.

PHOT0134.JPG

Not the normal Farm use ...

It's a ripper of a vehicle and I'm sure you see many of them around the Rural areas.

Over in the photography Forum there's a thread started by Ron19 where the guys post images of their Etons.

Now we've decided to pick the best 12.

It's a poll ... you can vote multiple times ... vote 12 times ... that would be great.

The ones we selected represent the versatile Eton and many of it's uses ... not just the prettiest picture.

If you have a good image, please post it ... we have a few spare slots.

We will leave this open for a few weeks.

I hope you enjoy them and Vote often ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tywais
Fixed poll

Photogenically some of the best pictures of the vehicle are static and devoid of people - not interesting except to petrolheads. Looks like everyone else agrees as the votes are going for the ones with people and in their correct rural environment.

Would have loved to have had my camera around when that jazzed up version in the opening post hit the road. New Orleans Thai-style

• Like 2

David thank you for taking the time to post these wonderful pictures, I have being noticing your posts and post replies and all of them reflect well on you.

What prompted your avatar change? could it possible having something to do with your GF expecting twins and you no longer being "hansom man"laugh.png

Congratulations , I hope everything goes well in the pregnancy and you are soon playing with a couple of healthy , happy , little buggers.smile.png

Time to be changing the GF to SWAMBO (She Who Always Must Be Obeyed)tongue.png

For some reason I could not vote, every time I try it says "Oops, something went wrong, you must vote in every category" but I Vote for number 28, Santisuk is right, the human element adds an intangible something that makes the picture more attractive, at least it does to me,

I can never resist a Thai smile.

​These vehicles are very interesting,I have also seen them in the rural roads of Isaan

I did a Google search on "eton truck" and all I could find was info on the Eaton truck corp but no info on these vehicles, if any one could sugjest a better search term, or some links I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Mate ... thanks for those kind words above ... warmly welcomed.

But, just so there is no misunderstanding ... these are not my photos.

They belong to many of the members here.

Just that I'm good at the back office stuff and had the idea to bring them altogether.

Most of my original content is in the Farming Forum.

With the voting issue ... I will look into that and hope to remedy if there is a problem.

Myself and the photo contributors just wanted, in an enjoyable way, wanted to share a

subject which isn't about things that sometimes divide us, woman, money, divorce etc,

but something fun, pleasurable ... hopefully made you feel good.

• Like 1

​These vehicles are very interesting,I have also seen them in the rural roads of Isaan

I did a Google search on "eton truck" and all I could find was info on the Eaton truck corp but no info on these vehicles, if any one could suggest a better search term, or some links I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Can't help you there but ... in the Farming Forum there is a dedicated thread on the ownership and operation of them.

A post from that thread to give you a flavour. This is the link ... thai-farm-trucks

The price varies , enormously, depending in the level of sophistication and equipment installed. Mine is built to full roadworthy standard, in terms of electricals and brakes ,etc..Many ,regrettably aren't and are a health hazard!! Mine is now 3years and 8 months old. ! And cost a bit over B 100,000.At the time. It is equipped , also, with electric start.And a 14 horsepower Kubota engine. Most here have only a 10 horsepower engine and no electric start.I bought a secondhand pick-up chassis with a 5 speed gear box and had the body etc., built on it.By a man who builds them for a living. You need to find someone who is experienced in building them.BIG Farang cannot drive them - too fat to fit behind the steering wheel. I believe I am the only Farang in Thailand who both owns and operates one. I do drive it 70 kilometres to our nearest Makro, takes a little less than 1 and a half hours. It is not only a work horse, but is my daily transport. I cart heaps on it . It has extra springs, so I can put 3-4 tonnes on its back. It moves Cassava, Paddy, Cement, Sand, Gravel, Steel, Breeze blocks , All Fencing materials, Eucalyptus, Etc..It has a 3 metre body. Some have only a 2 metre body.3 metre easier to load, don't have to load so high . Good Luck, they are excellent vehicles. Most useful, Bill

The OP of that thread yesterday posted that he has just taken delivery of his machine, so that's a good place to start for information.

Also, Ron19 was the major contributor photographer of these images, and together we complied this thread and has some images of them at the Factory where they are built.

Hope that helps ...

• Like 1

The photos are great but the vehicles look far too smart and roadworthy. There are none as good as that in my area. Most of the ones I see look as if they will fall apart any minute!

I'll see if I can get some photos and post

Just in passing I am reliably informed (by my SWAMPO!!!!!) that the correct name for these vehicles is E-tan

• Like 1

Great photos thank you David48,Ron19 and any others who contributed. I am surprised to see some with lights, but maybe not switched on at night as they always appear rapidly out of the dark doing 10 kph! But part of the charm and as I look out of my window in Australia at clean modern roadworthy cars and trucks I feel very homesick and nostalgic for up country Thailand!

• Like 2

A nice lot of pictures. I have seen these vehicles on the road lots of time in Issan. The engine sounds like a one cylinder Lister. Anyone know what engine it is in these Etons?

From what I have seen they are mainly Kubota single cylinder diesel motors with a smaller percentage of Yanmar motors.There maybe some other makes but I haven't seen any.What I have seen though is a small number of four cylinder motors fitted.