Issans finest - the Eton

David48

Eton Photos - vote for 12 of them.  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's some Etan's hard at work some were coming in carrying well over 3 ton of timber on the weighbridge you could hear them coming to the yard for a mile away.

Hard work transshipping to our Hino had fun that summer.

Couple of pictures of an engine for those that are interested.

All taken in Roi Et

post-43467-0-47486900-1386865177_thumb.j

post-43467-0-91674400-1386865199_thumb.j

post-43467-0-08032700-1386865241_thumb.j

post-43467-0-97201500-1386865282_thumb.j

post-43467-0-45320800-1386865297_thumb.j

post-43467-0-31214600-1386865316_thumb.j

post-43467-0-62422200-1386865739_thumb.j

This was all in Roi Et in 2008.

post-43467-0-65902900-1386865826_thumb.j

post-43467-0-87442800-1386865854_thumb.j

Edited by Mali1964
  • Like 2

Mate ... thanks for those kind words above ... warmly welcomed.

But, just so there is no misunderstanding ... these are not my photos.

They belong to many of the members here.

Just that I'm good at the back office stuff and had the idea to bring them altogether.

Most of my original content is in the Farming Forum.

With the voting issue ... I will look into that and hope to remedy if there is a problem.

Myself and the photo contributors just wanted, in an enjoyable way, wanted to share a

subject which isn't about things that sometimes divide us, woman, money, divorce etc,

but something fun, pleasurable ... hopefully made you feel good.

Someone in the village has a home-built Isaan equivalent copy of a 'Hummer'. Something to be seen. I keep my camera handy but he hasn't been round for a few days.

Of course, remove the pick-up bonnet/hood and put in a small tractor, with or without wheels, is fairly common, but don't expect to go too far too fast. Well, they don't anyway around here.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the links

I am at home recuperating from open heart surgery, nothing serious, had a congenital heart valve defect , that would need to be repaired at some point in my life, finally got a brake between work projects, and had it done,

But because of it I have to spend a couple of months at home, and I am climbing the walls.

I am so bored I am considering replying to posts in the General section:lol: Any way this Thread and the links you all send me made my day,

David you started trouble, I would love to have one of these Etans, Unfortunately I have no use for one, Trying to think of reasons why I should get one:lol:

Now I am home-sick for Thailand:(

I did a search on YouTube " etan truck Thailand" and had a number of good returns, most of them are in Thai , but non the less enjoyable to watch.

Here is one of them

[/media]

[/media]

Nothing serious, only open heart surgery!

Wish you well lol

• Like 1

Where is "Issan"?

Back of beyond(tee noooon).

North east Thailand bordering Cambodia & Loes, Nakon Ratchasema is its largest city, may be to be the new capitol 1 day they say.

NAH-------- Udon Thani for capital

Strong hint: the politicos are buying up land around Korat.

Me? I live in the 'Bermuda Triangle' between Khon Kaen,, Kalasin and Roi Et

Here is an other one being put through it's paces,

I am always impressed by the resourcefulness of the Thai people,

these are remarkable machines

[/media]

[/media]

The Thais think outside our constrained European box. Or lateral thinking?

They always seem to come up with a simple solution instead of over-engineering.

Now, if I could only get the wife to learn how to use a computer...

• Like 2

Could not agree more

When ever in Thailand I take great pleasure working with my father in law in his small farm,

In his late 60's He is retired, from a government job, nothing spectacular, but between that and me and my wife , they certainly don't need to work.

Yet he grows all his rice, bananas, papayas, vegetables, and makes his own coal.I am amazed at his ability to make something out of nothing' the man is amazing.and that's not limited only to him, I see it all around me from everyone in the village.

It always gets my goat, when I read posts from people who know nothing about these people, yet are always criticizing Thais,

take any one of them ,and put them in Thai shoes and they would not last a minute.

Now, if I could only get the wife to learn how to use a computer..

Be careful what you wish, once you get her on, you might not be able to get her off the computer, I speak from experiencetongue.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

Could not agree more

When ever in Thailand I take great pleasure working with my father in law in his small farm,

In his late 60's He is retired, from a government job, nothing spectacular, but between that and me and my wife , they certainly don't need to work.

Yet he grows all his rice, bananas, papayas, vegetables, and makes his own coal.I am amazed at his ability to make something out of nothing' the man is amazing.and that's not limited only to him, I see it all around me from everyone in the village.

It always gets my goat, when I read posts from people who know nothing about these people, yet are always criticizing Thais,

take any one of them ,and put them in Thai shoes and they would not last a minute.

Now, if I could only get the wife to learn how to use a computer..

Be careful what you wish, once you get her on, you might not be able to get her off the computer, I speak from experience:P

Message understood but it will never be her thing.

I guess you meant FIL making his own charcoal? Even mine doesn't do that a it's so cheap at the village store.

But I must agree, their improvisation and 'making something out of nothing' are impressive to a professional engineer.

Edited by Bpuumike

Not wanting to be a language nazi, but they are called 'e tuk' in lao. Is eton Thai? Apart from that I hate them all, clog the roads driving at 5mph, Damm their colorful painted chassis LOL

The are called by different names in different parts of thailand and for instance it is " Rot Thailand " in my neck of the woods.

Edited by Ron19

from this threads and other threads I read in the farm forum There seems to be some confusion as to what these things are called,I don't profess to be any kind of expert on the subject, in fact I only became interested in them recently because of this thread.Since then I got intrigued by the subject and having some spare time in my hands did some research.

For me the true indication of what they are called is what the Thais call them, I did a search on YouTube to see what name tags Thais use when posting their videos and pictures on Google. I did a search under all the different names and got nothing, then I did a search for "Etan Thailand" and got a ton of returns most in Thai, so I would say that most Thais , at least the ones who post on YouTube and Google use the meta tag "Etan"

• Like 1

Not wanting to be a language nazi, but they are called 'e tuk' in lao. Is eton Thai? Apart from that I hate them all, clog the roads driving at 5mph, Damm their colorful painted chassis LOL

did you vote which one you hate the least?tongue.png

• Like 1

did you vote which one you hate the least?tongue.png

Vote, are you kidding me! According to the Official Oracles of Knowledge & Wisdom in the General & Thai News Forums, nobody up here in the wilderness votes without having their palms greased. So come on, cough up the cash and my voting button will be whatever you want it to be.....BTW I'm open to a bidding war for my vote too LOL

• Like 1

The are called by different names in different parts of thailand and for instance it is " Rot Thailand " in my neck of the woods.

Depends where you are.

I read recently there are some 70 dialect/languages spoken here.

The wife can speak standard Thai, has a fair grasp of Lao and of course impenetrable Isaan.

I'm still not sure if Phoo Thai is Isaan or not?

• Like 1

Depends where you are.

The wife can speak standard Thai, has a fair grasp of Lao and of course impenetrable Isaan.

I have a hard enough time learning Thai with out having to learn Laos and Isaan also.

As it is ,several Isaan words have crept in to my vocabulary,

I dont go in to Bangkok a lot any more, Usually only to catch a flight back to the Us, personalty if I never went yo BKK again, it would be to soon,

but I am sure if I was to attempt my Thai there, ( aside from my accent, who seems to get a laugh from everybody.everywhere) I am sure I would get some funny looks as they wonder what the heck language I am speaking.laugh.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

Depends where you are.

I have a hard enough time learning Thai with out having to learn Laos and Isaan also.

As it is ,several Isaan words have crept in to my vocabulary,

I dont go in to Bangkok a lot any more, Usually only to catch a flight back to the Us, personalty if I never went yo BKK again, it would be to soon,

but I am sure if I was to attempt my Thai there, ( aside from my accent, who seems to get a laugh from everybody.everywhere) I am sure I would get some funny looks as they wonder what the heck language I am speaking.laugh.png

Straying off topic as per usual.

Yes indeed, what little Isaan I know I automatically use in BKK so am probably considered a country hick.

The wife has no problem switching between Thai, Isaan or Lao.

On the other hand, I have no problem switching between English, German, Spanish, Bahasa and even French when needs must.

Just a heads up ... the Eton wheels are furiously turning behind the scenes.

And it's Ron19 doing the driving and the heavy lifting.

A little patience please as we sort out the appropriate formats for the Calendar.

Don't forget to vote for your favourites and you can, in one session vote for many Etons ... as we will choose the best 12 from your support.