hua hin immigration

ableguy

Just got back from immigration in Hua Hin. Went to get visas transferred into a new passport { retirement )

Ladies out front very helpful had the correct forms for me and did some photo copying, Go inside officer does the work and then asks me for 500 baht, I said what for ? he explained it was for the work done so I asked for a reciept he nodded and told me to go sit down while he passed the paperwork and money to the desk behind him. 5 minutes later he called my girl friend over and indicated for me to stay sat down and told her no reciept will be given as really he should not do this work , stated really I had to go to Chang Wattana to get this done but being a good guy he wanted to save me the gas money and cost of a hotel and said the 500 baht is not just for me everybod shares it in the office. My reaction as my gf new it would be was to demand my money calling him a thief blah blah, however wisely she dragged me out and simply said accept it this is Thailand.

Any comments ???

She's right this is Thailand, it's wrong but what can you do, fight it and end up with a big problem, far easier to accept it and enjoy the rest of the day!

You will get some who will say " I would not pay it, it is stealing"blah blah, how many people would report this sort of thing to the authorities and leave there name and address? I think the answer would be none!!

Edited by dogpoo

Nothing you can do, I went to HH Immi about 6 years ago to get stamps transferred and was charged the same

It's rubbish that you have to go to Chang Wattana but to be honest I wasn't to bothered about paying the 500, I didn't fancy a trip to BKK to get my stamps sorted

HH Immigration transferred my visa from the old passport to the new one by hand for no fee and with no hassle. I have gotten better service from the immigration personnel here than I have from anyone else in Thailand in the last ten years.

• Like 2

HH Immigration transferred my visa from the old passport to the new one by hand for no fee and with no hassle. I have gotten better service from the immigration personnel here than I have from anyone else in Thailand in the last ten years.

Same for me in October no charge no problems (must look too poor to pay any adjustment fees)

A friend of mine told me that an officer at HH offered to do an extension of stay without the financial letter from his embassy in exchange for substantial 'gratuity'. We farangs accept corruption because of the same reasons as Thais - it's a matter of expediency.

Transferred mine over a few years and no charge. The one thing that keeps me here in Hua Hin is the efficiency, courtesy and fairness of the Immigration people. I've been here 15 years and pretty much lived everywhere and Immigration here is undoubtably the best I've come across. 10/10 for me.

• Like 1

I don't say they are not efficient, but some are corrupted : 2 months ago , the officer, on the left desk , in front of the seats, asked me first 300 bahts for a passeport transfert: when he saw I took a 1000 bahts banknote from my pocket, he changed one's mind , and he asked 500 bahts;

I know a guy who has been asked ( with an other officer ) some extra money to have thai wife visa faster: because he refused, he had to come many times more to bring papers which normally are not necessary.

I never go to HH immigration office with pleasure, even if I recognize that they did a good job so far with me

there is an email address on a sticker in the window that would allow one to vent off some steam if one wanted to

not sure where the email would end up, and if anyone would actually care, but it may make you feel better

A friend of mine told me that an officer at HH offered to do an extension of stay without the financial letter from his embassy in exchange for substantial 'gratuity'. We farangs accept corruption because of the same reasons as Thais - it's a matter of expediency.

Very common practice and is how most of the people who don't have the funds in the bank or from a pension manage to stay here

I don't say they are not efficient, but some are corrupted : 2 months ago , the officer, on the left desk , in front of the seats, asked me first 300 bahts for a passeport transfert: when he saw I took a 1000 bahts banknote from my pocket, he changed one's mind , and he asked 500 bahts;

I know a guy who has been asked ( with an other officer ) some extra money to have thai wife visa faster: because he refused, he had to come many times more to bring papers which normally are not necessary.

I never go to HH immigration office with pleasure, even if I recognize that they did a good job so far with me

Same desk could be same guy, looked like wearing a cheap wig ?

First time I went some years ago I got a witchy-looking woman who pushed a photo at me and asked if I wanted to buy her house. She followed up with, "You have fren'?"

I gave her 2000 for my extension and had to ask clearly for my 100 baht change which she simply assumed was a tip for doing her decently-paid job.

Never had any bother since, though.

Edited by johnnyk