Chinese Good Luck Cat

sunoco27

Could it be because the word for fish, or is it carp, sounds like money or luck or something- and well ,,,, Cats like to/ good at catching fish ,,, so the cat is not waving he is doing the catch of the luck/ money?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They aren't really 'waving.' They are 'summoning.' "Drawing in..."

In the West, when we want someone to come to us, we motion to them with our palm facing up bringing our hand from away from us towards us in an upward motion. In most of Asia, and most definitely in Japan, when they want someone to come closer, they gesture in a downward and inward motion with the palm facing downward... just like a cat trying to catch something.

Several shops in the Warorot market area sell these. For some strange reason Hubby thinks they're really cute and had a collection. That is until we got a real cat, who delighted in pushing them off the shelves. I think the waving arms drove him (the cat) to distraction. I tend to agree with the cat on this home decorating decision.

Edited by NancyL

They aren't really 'waving.' They are 'summoning.' "Drawing in..."

In the West, when we want someone to come to us, we motion to them with our palm facing up bringing our hand from away from us towards us in an upward motion. In most of Asia, and most definitely in Japan, when they want someone to come closer, they gesture in a downward and inward motion with the palm facing downward... just like a cat trying to catch something.

Yes. Watch Asians who don't speak Thai bargain in Thai markets.