Is the PDRC about to blow its undeniable support?: Thai politics

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Is the PDRC about to blow its undeniable support?

Attayuth Bootsripoom

BANGKOK: -- So far, it's still uncertain which direction Thai society is heading in. But one thing should be pondered: how did the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) led by Suthep Thaugsuban, former Democrat MP, manage to gather so massive a number of protesters to join the rally on Monday?

An undeniable factor is that the demonstrators shared dissatisfaction with the government, controlled by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from behind the scenes. The government fuelled the dissatisfaction with several actions that came close to showing how it had been corrupted by power.

And the last straw that prompted people to fill Bangkok's streets was the passage of the amnesty bill by the House to whitewash Thaksin.

Although some refused to accept it, the Monday rally drew the highest number of protesters in Thailand's history. Most of the demonstrators were from the middle-class and were willing to join Suthep on the streets, although Suthep was not the type of politician liked by the middle class.

A simple answer is that middle-class people have become fed up with the current ruling system. They would like to see corruption rooted out from the country and would like the country to be ruled by "good persons" they can trust. Most of all, they would like to see swift changes and they are often carried away with beautiful words.

Suthep knows what the middle class wants. So, he used these flowery words to explain how he could bring about change to the current system. This way, he won the hearts of the middle class, but they failed to check how the goals Suthep talked about could be achieved.

A key question was what Suthep would do next after he had won over this middle-class support. The proposal to establish a People's Council without a legal base would not convince the people for long.

Moreover, the government had already returned a ruling mandate to the people by agreeing to a snap election. However, the PDRC rejected the election and is continuing to seek a People's Council. This would prompt the community to weigh the pros and cons and choose which proposal would be best.

The middle-class cherish their rights - but the reform model of the PDRC would take away these rights on the grounds it wanted to improve the rules before allowing an election. This would prompt a lot of people to question whether to continue supporting Suthep's cause.

This is because the People's Council would, by all measures, not be far different from a council of dictators - as the people would have no chance to elect its membership. Its name says the council belongs to the people, but its members would be selected only by PDRC leaders.

Now that the current demands of the PDRC are different from those set when Suthep started to lead the protest, the PDRC leaders may begin reviewing as to whether they should push on with this path. If they continue, the chances would be high for them to fail. Remember the old saying: the more greedy you become making a bet, the more chances you will lose.

But if the PDRC leaders select a good moment to end their campaign, real political reform might take place. The rally has already shown that the people's power is important like never before. At least, the people's power has led to a change in the government.

The PDRC should not let this fight become futile through the stubbornness of its leaders.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-12

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words quit while the wind is at you back and it may well carry you further... push you luck and the wind is likely to change and blow against you.

well written and noted piece. The pieces are moving on the board, i hope we have much much longer before they must come into full play. wai.gif

Edited by englishoak

…. people that no one would have thought would come out and protest in the streets have done so, primarily because of the amnesty bill and also because they are tired of seeing and hearing this buffoon run their country by proxy.

The real turnout manifested when all the characters from 2010 were added the bill. Prior to that, it was the usual suspects camped out at Urapong.

Perhaps drunk with what they believe is power. However, the turnout for the major protest was quite poor. The Nation seems to want to talk-up the numbers. After weeks of planning, 100,000 people is not huge in a city of more than 8,000,000 ( and many of the supporters came from other parts of the country). PDRC is completely out of touch with the sensible majority of the Thai population; they do not want an unelected committee running the country but WOULD like these issues resolved through dialogue and elections.

The numbers were big, no doubt. But not the biggest protests in Thai history. The Nation's own most respected reporter, Noppatjak, doesn't think there were as many there as there were on Nov 24th. Most press agencies are claiming 140 - 150,000 whereas Nov 24th was 180,000, which would make it - probably - the biggest protest since Black May 1992.

Anyway, it's a bit silly to play the numbers game. As Abhisit said back in 2010: “Each side, each political party has a lot of support,” Abhisit said Saturday. “The issue is not about showing numbers or strength in some kind of demonstration. It’s about how we can solve the differences to the best interests of the country.”

• Like 2

I think their imagined support is simply another take, a reversal, on 'you're either for us, or against us', a classic in flawed logic.

Then there are the many thousands that showed simply because of "The Event" nature of the protests. Facebook is awash in selfies from the event.

I know 3 PTP voters who protested and they have vowed to never vote for any party with a Shin involved in the future.

Sorry to p**s on your box of fireworks... But that is the actual reality.

I have heard of no Dem supporter abandoning their chosen party.

I think their imagined support is simply another take, a reversal, on 'you're either for us, or against us', a classic in flawed logic.

Then there are the many thousands that showed simply because of "The Event" nature of the protests. Facebook is awash in selfies from the event.

I know 3 PTP voters who protested and they have vowed to never vote for any party with a Shin involved in the future.

Sorry to p**s on your box of fireworks... But that is the actual reality.

I have heard of no Dem supporter abandoning their chosen party.

While I don't doubt your information, you surely realize that this is an infinitessimally small sample size. And it's in Bangkok. Hardly representative. Which is the whole point of the opposition to the PRDC.

• Like 1

Perhaps drunk with what they believe is power. However, the turnout for the major protest was quite poor. The Nation seems to want to talk-up the numbers. After weeks of planning, 100,000 people is not huge in a city of more than 8,000,000 ( and many of the supporters came from other parts of the country). PDRC is completely out of touch with the sensible majority of the Thai population; they do not want an unelected committee running the country but WOULD like these issues resolved through dialogue and elections.

The numbers were big, no doubt. But not the biggest protests in Thai history. The Nation's own most respected reporter, Noppatjak, doesn't think there were as many there as there were on Nov 24th. Most press agencies are claiming 140 - 150,000 whereas Nov 24th was 180,000, which would make it - probably - the biggest protest since Black May 1992.

Anyway, it's a bit silly to play the numbers game. As Abhisit said back in 2010: Each side, each political party has a lot of support, Abhisit said Saturday. The issue is not about showing numbers or strength in some kind of demonstration. Its about how we can solve the differences to the best interests of the country.

Agree with most of that...I draw the line when the protesters start dragging innocent people off buses and out of taxis. Mr Abhisit is tacitly complicit in those events. For some bizarre and very ill-considered reason he himself led the march on the US Embassy 2 weeks ago. Hasn't been seen since, except for a wedding ceremony, instead leaving things to the attack dogs. Fortunately most Thais are too smart to go along with street thuggery ....the dramatic shift in public support reflects this Edited by Prbkk
  • Like 1

The current government has bent over backwards to facilitate dialogue, to avoid violence, to keep the economy functioning. Sadly a small group of fanatics and despots seem determined to engage in brinkmanship and push Thailand to the edge. Every Thai I speak with about the situation, expresses extreme frustration that certain groups are pushing PDRC proposals as consensus rather than what they represent on truth: a full-frontal assault on democracy. MDM Shinawatra must be allowed to rule as caretaker until the election on Feb 2. If that does not happen, Thailand will have given in to mob rule and have taken a giant step backwards in the eyes of the international community

Where do you get your numbers from? AFP, PTP, BBC ? Must be more accurate.

No talking down here thumbsup.gif

The current government has bent over backwards to facilitate dialogue, to avoid violence, to keep the economy functioning. Sadly a small group of fanatics and despots seem determined to engage in brinkmanship and push Thailand to the edge. Every Thai I speak with about the situation, expresses extreme frustration that certain groups are pushing PDRC proposals as consensus rather than what they represent on truth: a full-frontal assault on democracy. MDM Shinawatra must be allowed to rule as caretaker until the election on Feb 2. If that does not happen, Thailand will have given in to mob rule and have taken a giant step backwards in the eyes of the international community

You conveniently fail to say who started this brinkmanship and not only on one front. Sad to say you are biased and delusional, very much like your hero overseas. Thai politics needs a comprehensive shake up and before any election, otherwise we are stuck with the same corrupt system and then the same corrupt politicians. This is what Suthep, in his rather ham fisted way, is trying to prevent. There also needs to be comprehensive checks and balances installed with every Government Department liable to audits, not only of their fiscal dealings, but their performance as well. This way, the many inefficient beurocrats can been weeded out when they fail to perform or are found fiddling the books.

And to shake politics you would put a dictatorship?

Suthep Thaugsuban had managed to secure himself a huge number of supporters nationwide, but has now managed to talk himself right out of favour again.

The police and especially the army have decided to take a backstage seat during these political disputes, which has been agreed and approved right from the top. The army and police will only intervene if the protesters become out of control and start violence first, something that Suthep Thaugsuban has been trying to influence his supporters to do, but they are slowly wising up to his ploy. The yellow shirts may consider they have a a lot to shout about, but the majority are not the mindless bunch of thugs out for total rule and violence as many may believe.

The Western powers, especially the United States are firmly backing the Yingluck Government and support for Suthep Thaugsuban is dwindling fast. All he can do now is shout the odds and make idle threats.

There will be no coup and the protest will slowly fade into obscurity and this is one main reason why the red shirts and Government supporters are keeping a low profile in Bangkok. They are playing the old strategy game with Suthep Thaugsuban, which is, give em enough rope and they`ll hang themselves.

Just watch this space.

• Like 1

Surely the Thai people can see that the leaders of PDRC have become drunk with power? The PDRC have changed from what they originally protesting about so the question is How can these people be trusted to run this Country. .... PS ; No Thai person should be forced to leave their own Country let alone a complete family.

I agree... but who has been 'forced' to leave?

Assorted criminals including politicians, gangsters, monks and delinquents leaving the country to escape jail time is not the same as being forced to leave.

I would be interested to know which group of Thais you are talking to. In my office department (Bangkok) most, if not all, supported the demonstration against the amnesty bill. Yes, they are now frustrated with Suthep to varying degrees as they do not know when it will end and do not trust him. But they are all very clear that Thaksin needs to be removed from the picture and barred from being involved in politics permanently if we are to see an end to the divide. For this last reason, despite their frustration and lack of trust in Thep, they do not want elections in February. They first want the ground work putting in place to prevent parliamentary dictatorship and then elections. If this means bearing with Thep for the time being then so be it.

• Like 1

I would be interested to know which group of Thais you are talking to. In my office department (Bangkok) most, if not all, supported the demonstration against the amnesty bill. Yes, they are now frustrated with Suthep to varying degrees as they do not know when it will end and do not trust him. But they are all very clear that Thaksin needs to be removed from the picture and barred from being involved in politics permanently if we are to see an end to the divide. For this last reason, despite their frustration and lack of trust in Thep, they do not want elections in February. They first want the ground work putting in place to prevent parliamentary dictatorship and then elections. If this means bearing with Thep for the time being then so be it.

"... they do not want elections ..."

Thank you. I have nothing to add.

Ooh cherry picking. Aren't you clever ? I would suggest you read to the end of the paragraph. I believe it includes the words ..in February..........and then elections."

The amnesty may have been 'withdrawn' for now but it is not dead. And whilst Yingluck has said she won't try and bring it back, just wait till day 180, at 3am it WILL be rammed through if PT are still in power. Mark my words....The Shin's have had a good run and become filthy stinking rich at the expense of the country. Enough already. Bugger off !

The amnesty may have been 'withdrawn' for now but it is not dead. And whilst Yingluck has said she won't try and bring it back, just wait till day 180, at 3am it WILL be rammed through if PT are still in power. Mark my words....The Shin's have had a good run and become filthy stinking rich at the expense of the country. Enough already. Bugger off !

You`re right and if not careful she will bring this country into a civil war.

The problem is that the Shinawatra family will always get the majority vote, so in their case being a democracy is very convenient for them, and then we have the opposition who stand for most of the South and the Thai business elite who will always be the minority, so have little chance of getting into power during Government elections.

And this is the political dilemma that Thailand has been facing since Thaksin Shinawatra was voted into power and after he was ousted that has virtually split the country into two.

I have no ideas how to rectify this situation and I cannot see any easy solutions except that all parties concerned must try and agree to some compromise rather than a winner takes all philosophy, which is prevailing at this particular time. All parties have to sit down at the negotiating table, talk and come to some mutual agreements, this is how a proper democracy is run and the views of all the population must be taken into account.

Edited by Beetlejuice

You conveniently fail to say who started this brinkmanship and not only on one front. Sad to say you are biased and delusional, very much like your hero overseas. Thai politics needs a comprehensive shake up and before any election, otherwise we are stuck with the same corrupt system and then the same corrupt politicians. This is what Suthep, in his rather ham fisted way, is trying to prevent. There also needs to be comprehensive checks and balances installed with every Government Department liable to audits, not only of their fiscal dealings, but their performance as well. This way, the many inefficient beurocrats can been weeded out when they fail to perform or are found fiddling the books.

The protesters want to change the system so why do you red supporters keep saying they want to install a dictatorship? The answer is pure & simple fearmongering.

Don't you think it's better than having any of the

"Shinawatra" scums? they've taken over excessively

they've put their hands into anything n everything...it's just

simple deduction! At least Suthep dared voice

n stand up at last someone did. Where else you

others nag n nag n gossip n do nothing no wonder

the situation is what it is today! Excuse the

the saying "all fart but no shit!!!"

So wake up guys, be thankful for a step at a time!

The protesters want to change the system so why do you red supporters keep saying they want to install a dictatorship? The answer is pure & simple fearmongering.

Labeling me red supporter is the best you can do?

My posts supporting Abhisit and rejecting Thaksin shows the opposite, but maybe it costs too much for you to abstain yourself to put the red supporter rant in any post where someone have a different idea from yours.

Words that Suthep and his adepts are repeating from days are public. Is up to you to understand or just tell who is opposite them does "fearmongering".

Maybe you should enlighten me why I should not worry.