The dreaded visitors " Home Guests "

BB1955

Easy solution bro, one bedroom becomes the man cave. No one enters without permission.

i would be insane without mine.

That is what I use my computer, my TV, My air are all in my bedroom which is off limits to all in the house except my wife! anyone that chooses to talk, knocks first only because I enjoy my privacy.

We differ greatly on visitors, as I always enjoy my wife's family visits, and ask people to visit as much as they can, I also enjoy my wife's friends visits as we have a great big house, for the new year my brother and his family will visit, along with his sister-in-law and her family and his FIL, we are planning a big New Years party.

I do draw the line on dogs in the house, or dogs period as I do not keep any, If someone were to bring one without permission, it would stay in a fenced area in my back yard, no other options.

Cheers

Re the TV etc., I have a friend who has a similar situation to the OP. Friend just walks into the TV room, instantly turns off the TV and motions for his chair to be vacated, then he just sits there. He says on several occasions he's also walked into the room with the TV, grabbed the remote, turned the sound off then walked out of the room with the remote and taken it to his computer den which is well known to be totally off limits to all. Visiting groups now rare and gone quickly.

Another friend is quite lucky that his Thai wife and kids actually prefer western food rather then Thai food. His wife is tolerant of family / friends just arriving but makes it very clear she is cooking all western food this week and she doesn't like strong smells in her house. Family and friends drop in but are gone quickly.

Another friend was near the end of his tether with large noisy family groups etc., arriving unannounced and taking over the house. Then there was an incident where his brother in law bought a young live crocodile (about 80 cm long) and had is running free in the room he was occupying. He didn't tell anybody. The lady of the house opened the room and instantly spotted the crocodile. She was very very pissed, especially since she had two young toddlers in the house. She instantly summonsed all the visiting group and told them 'leave now and don't come back'. They never did return.

And your point is? I do not have any of the problems you stated to, as you quoted my post, what has your friends situations to do with my post?

I am very lucky as many of my Thai neighbors also have, great family members that have skills in social behavior, and in the 13 years in Thailand I have not had or witnessed those type of problems you stated to, Other then the numerous drunk Farang's behavior I witness while living and prior to leaving Pattaya!

Cheers

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the answers are related to growing a pair, and insist it is the Falang's right to be a dictator over the Thai household, I do not do anything different in Thailand than I did back in the old country, what worked for me then works for me now!

I view visitors as a blessing, people with whom you can share your hospitality with, to have a good time and offer then the same liberties they offer you when you visit them. I appreciate my wife's family that have never caused me problems and are extremely helpful in any thing we do, I have certainly gain more from them, than I have given to them. Why is a wife's family to be viewed differently in Thailand, then how you interact with the wife family in the home country, to me there is no difference as I by marrying my wife I agreed to become a part of her family and she a part of mine.

Those that are control freaks, that dictate who can come to their house, who your wife can associates with or whomever must have the final say on any issue in their relationship, does not mean you have a pair, it only means you did a very poor job in marrying a women you do not trust.

My wife is my equal and we share everything we have together, including decision making as it is our house and our lives that we share. Her family is my family, her daughters are my daughters in a life we share together. I in Thailand do just as I did in the home country, and reserve a part of our house for my privacy, where I can work or relax without interruptions, worked good for me in the old country works for me here.

Sharing is the cornerstone of a successful marriage and my wife ideas/input to me is more important that anyone else, and it works great for us.

Cheers.

If that works for you then great.....by the way you say you share everything with the wife? Even the bills? the building of the home costs?

If so has she got a sister wink.png

I share everything with my Thai wife as I did with my wife back in the home country. I unlike many of the control freaks that have posted, treat my Thai wife with the same love and respect I treated my other wife with, there is not one bit of difference, she is my wife.

Now ask me if my wife in the home country shared the bill's and building of the house cost, or how a gold digger back in the home country ended up with the house in a US divorce court?

Every thing that Falang's state about the foolishness of building a house for your wife and family, and your inability to own that house in Thailand! Happened to me in the home country, on a much bigger cost of financial loss.

The income I have is considered Family income the same as my income was considered for the 20 years i had my stay at home wife in the states! If you do things differently that is up to you and how you deal with your situation!

Why do you not just leave it at "If that works for you great"

Cheers

• Like 2

Take the batteries out of the remotes and put a password on the computer and as soon as they arrive go out and come back next morning!

I sound like a bit of an ogre perhaps, but now my wife respects my wishes.....

Perhaps my trick is ME! biggrin.png

I have to laugh at how pathetic people like you are. You are the reason why foreigners in Thailand get a bad reputation.

The stereotypical fat old farang who marries a bargirl and cannot speak a word of thai outside of "checkbin krap"

Then to make matters worse you can't even integrate into your own family? I couldn't even imagine treating family like you do at home. Can't even look after guests (your family no less).

You want to know why you are not accepted in Thailand and why your family treat your house like crap when they visit? Because you are an ignorant self-absorbed <deleted> that has no consideration to put any effort into Thailand, Thai Culture, or your Family.

The worst part is you are oblivious to this and sit up on your high horse and just think you are above them, and it is just their fault for being Thai.

I've never had guests or family act like this, but then again I don't live my life like you do, and I treat people the way I would like to be treated..

Check Bin is two words,not one!coffee1.gif

Simply start shouting at them, they will leave never to be seen again.

Yes, direct confrontation works miracles when dealing with rude Thais. They will never bother you again.

A large number of people here are polite and would never impede on other people's privacy, but as anywhere there are bad apples which need to be kept at bay.

Many of the answers are related to growing a pair, and insist it is the Falang's right to be a dictator over the Thai household, I do not do anything different in Thailand than I did back in the old country, what worked for me then works for me now!

I view visitors as a blessing, people with whom you can share your hospitality with, to have a good time and offer then the same liberties they offer you when you visit them. I appreciate my wife's family that have never caused me problems and are extremely helpful in any thing we do, I have certainly gain more from them, than I have given to them. Why is a wife's family to be viewed differently in Thailand, then how you interact with the wife family in the home country, to me there is no difference as I by marrying my wife I agreed to become a part of her family and she a part of mine.

Those that are control freaks, that dictate who can come to their house, who your wife can associates with or whomever must have the final say on any issue in their relationship, does not mean you have a pair, it only means you did a very poor job in marrying a women you do not trust.

My wife is my equal and we share everything we have together, including decision making as it is our house and our lives that we share. Her family is my family, her daughters are my daughters in a life we share together. I in Thailand do just as I did in the home country, and reserve a part of our house for my privacy, where I can work or relax without interruptions, worked good for me in the old country works for me here.

Sharing is the cornerstone of a successful marriage and my wife ideas/input to me is more important that anyone else, and it works great for us.

Cheers.

If that works for you then great.....by the way you say you share everything with the wife? Even the bills? the building of the home costs?

If so has she got a sister wink.png

I share everything with my Thai wife as I did with my wife back in the home country. I unlike many of the control freaks that have posted, treat my Thai wife with the same love and respect I treated my other wife with, there is not one bit of difference, she is my wife.

Now ask me if my wife in the home country shared the bill's and building of the house cost, or how a gold digger back in the home country ended up with the house in a US divorce court?

Every thing that Falang's state about the foolishness of building a house for your wife and family, and your inability to own that house in Thailand! Happened to me in the home country, on a much bigger cost of financial loss.

The income I have is considered Family income the same as my income was considered for the 20 years i had my stay at home wife in the states! If you do things differently that is up to you and how you deal with your situation!

Why do you not just leave it at "If that works for you great"

Cheers

it is indeed great that this works for you....

however you didn't answer the question, you proceeded to go on the attack about your ex farang wife who rinsed you of your property back in the US, was she the mother of your children, did you cheat on her, if she never worked when you met her....then she isn't going to start once you marry her...

you are in no better or worse position than you were back in the US if you have married, have children and bought/built a house in Thailand....you could lose it all again in the blink of an eye....

so basically you have an income and you share it with your thai wife....if that works for you then that is indeed great thumbsup.gif