Income verification letter timing

How long is the income verification letter valid?

I've searched, but I find conflicting information on this.

I normally do my retirement extension on or around 10th of January, with a letter from the UK embassy dated something like 5th of January.

My visa expires on 23 January.

As I understand it, I can apply for the extension 30 days before the expiry date.

So if I get my letter from the UK embassy next week (which I have to do by post). It would be dated around the 19th or 20th of December.

How long would that letter be valid for?

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated

Yes, it is good for 6 months now.

I live up north and it is always a chore for me to go to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok once a year to get my letter.

I am one of those who would like to avoid the big cities of the south if possible.

Last time I went, I was informed that not only is the letter good for 6 months now, but also that American Services goes to different larger cities in Northern Thailand once a year to provide services like Income letters locally.

If you are American, check their website. If they will be in your area within 6 months of when you require it, it can save you a trip to Bangkok.

• Like 1

Even though the latest rule is 6 months, it really depends on the current rules in place at the immigration office that you use. My office required that it be issued within 30 days of application so it's best to check with the office that you use in advance.

Even though the latest rule is 6 months, it really depends on the current rules in place at the immigration office that you use.  My office required that it be issued within 30 days of application so it's best to check with the office that you use in advance.

When was that?

Immigration headquarters earlier this year sent a letter out stating it was 6 months.

"Even though the latest rule is 6 months, it really depends on the current rules in place at the immigration office that you use. My office required that it be issued within 30 days of application so it's best to check with the office that you use in advance."

That was also my understanding in previous years, hence my question.

It was two years ago, November 2011, during the floods. I was in Bangkok on other business and went to the embassy in early September and got the letter and when I went to extend my permission to stay in early November, even though they were in temporary offices and getting to Bangkok was next to impossible, they would not accept the letter because it was older than 30 days. I had to go back and get a "fresh' letter to do the retirement extension. Since then I always get one within 30 days to avoid any hassle. Maybe they have updated the rules but that's how it was then in Nakhon Sawan. It so easy to pick up the phone and ask rather than take a chance and, if they say "No", you won't win the argument.

Unfortunately the rules are made by the officer that handles your extension. If he/she is not aware of the 6 month validity or has specific orders from his/her boss that they can only accept one issued within the last 30 days, you're between a rock and a hard place. It's best to check first rather than waste the time and money of having to get another income affidavit!

With absolutely no disrespect intended, It won't do you any good to tell the officer that ubonjoe said that the rule had been changed to six months!

The change this year came about after they changed it to 15 days and the US embassy got involved which resulted in it officially being changed to 6 months.

This is the thread in which these changes were discussed:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644827-immigration-extends-validity-of-income-verification-letter/#entry6482717

The attachment to post #10 includes a memorandum issued by a (the?) Deputy Commissioner in the Immigration Bureau instructing immigration offices to accept Embassy income confirmation letters which were no older than 6 months.

I suggest that those seeking retirement extensions on the basis of such letters include this memorandum in their bumper-bundle of supporting docs and, if challenged by an Immigration Officer as to the period of validity, wave it under their nose.

Personally I have had not experienced any difficulty in obtaining my past 2 retirement extensions from my local immigration office (Maptaput) on the basis of Embassy income confirmation letters which were 2 months old.

Edited by OJAS

Sorry Joe, didn't mean to "stir the pot"! But if the man/woman sitting looking at you across the table and the man/woman that is sitting at his/her desk in the office says it's 30 days, it's 30 days!

You can wave a copy of the letter in their face, you can yell at them and call them idiots or you can get up and shoot them the moon, but if he/she says it's 30 days then it's 30 days. So, again, If you intend to use a letter older than 30 days, I would call and check before you go to be sure that they will accept it. What's so hard about checking first?

• Like 1

Yes, it is good for 6 months now.

I live up north and it is always a chore for me to go to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok once a year to get my letter.

I am one of those who would like to avoid the big cities of the south if possible.

Last time I went, I was informed that not only is the letter good for 6 months now, but also that American Services goes to different larger cities in Northern Thailand once a year to provide services like Income letters locally.

If you are American, check their website. If they will be in your area within 6 months of when you require it, it can save you a trip to Bangkok.

Yes, I usually wait for them to come to Pattaya rather than go to the embassy in Bangkok. Just did my extension renewal in Jomtien with a 3 month old embassy affidavit ... no problem.

In post #10 frodo77 said that yesterday they told him 30 days, In post #17, suradit69 said that he did his yesterday with a three month old letter, both at the Pattaya office. There doesn't seem to be any consistency from officer to officer at the same location let alone office to office. We can continue with the he said, she said BS, but if it's older than 30 days you should check first to see if it will be accepted otherwise you're at risk! I quit on this one!

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

In post #10 frodo77 said that yesterday they told him 30 days, In post #17, suradit69 said that he did his yesterday with a three month old letter, both at the Pattaya office. There doesn't seem to be any consistency from officer to officer at the same location let alone office to office. We can continue with the he said, she said BS, but if it's older than 30 days you should check first to see if it will be accepted otherwise you're at risk! I quit on this one!

Being told and getting the extension are a bit different. Perhaps the told was advice.

My advice is to get the letter close to the date when you plan on applying for the extension unless there is a good reason to get it earlier. Such as the case of the US embassy's out reach visits or a trip to Bangkok for other reasons.