30 Baht health insurance in case of accident?

rebo

Suffering a broken rib after flipping over with my mountain bike on a single trail my condition didn't increase much within the past 7 days. So I thought about checking out my new 30 Baht health insurance, and let the hospital make some x-ray-pics and let a doc have a qualified look at them.
Now my wife told me better not to mention that my accident happened on a bicycle because as far as she knows the 30 Baht insurance wouldn't be effective in case a vehicle was involved.

Does anybody really know wheather this is true or not?

A bicycle is probably not considered a vehicle for this as they are talking about the fact that the 30baht schemes do not covver accidents which should be covered by the Compulsory vehicle insurance paid when vehicles are registered.

• Like 2

A bicycle is probably not considered a vehicle for this as they are talking about the fact that the 30baht schemes do not covver accidents which should be covered by the Compulsory vehicle insurance paid when vehicles are registered.

Thanks for your comment, Harrry; this is what I would think, too. But "probably" means "I'm not really sure", doesn't it ...?

You know, I'm not in the mood to spend an entire day waiting in a hospital only to hear at the end "Solly, Sir, can not do ..." And I also don't feel like telling them a BS story about falling from a tree or so ...

Maybe here is someone who had a bicycle accident himself or his wife or some relatives and received 30 Baht insurance treatment ...?

Thanks for your comment, Harrry; this is what I would think, too. But "probably" means "I'm not really sure", doesn't it ...?

You know, I'm not in the mood to spend an entire day waiting in a hospital only to hear at the end "Solly, Sir, can not do ..." And I also don't feel like telling them a BS story about falling from a tree or so ...

Maybe here is someone who had a bicycle accident himself or his wife or some relatives and received 30 Baht insurance treatment ...?

By my experience that information is not correct, Last month my wife was involved in a serious motor bike accident and was hospitalized at our village hospital for 6 days, the 30 baht medical plan paid for all the medical expenses related to the accident, except the cost of the private room which we had to pay!

She is still under medical care and Physical Therapy sessions and daily visits to the hospital to change the dressing on her injured foot all paid by the 30 baht plan.

While she was in the hospital ward paid for by the medical plan, I was appalled by the number of women in the ward as a result of motorbike accidents, daily new victim were admitted to the hospital

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

As seen in the below the care is to be covered by the motor insurance. In big hospitals a person for the insurance will assist in filling the forms which will cover up to 12500baht or 100000baht after it goes to court if the court says you are not to fault.

You are liable to pay until the claim is paid.

http://www.nhso.go.th/eng/Files/Userfiles/file/Thailand_NHS_Act.pdf

Section 12 In the case where a victim, caused by a motor

vehicle under the Protection for Motor Vehicle Accident Victims Law,

whenever, enjoys the right of Health service from a Health care unit

pursuant to this Act, the said Health care unit shall notify such event to

the Office. The office shall be entitled to the reimbursement from the

Victim Compensation Fund, not exceeding such amount as prescribed in

the Protection for Motor Vehicle Accident Victims Law, and shall submit

such amount of reimbursement to the Fund in order to be transferred to

the said Health care unit.

In the case where an insurance company or the Road Victims

Protection Company is liable to pay the compensation to a motor

vehicle accident victim who has enjoyed the right of Health service in

accordance with paragraph one, the Office shall have powers to issue an

order requesting the said company to pay such Health service expenses,

not exceeding the amount in accordance with the conditions of the

insurance policy.

Payment of Health service under this Section shall be deemed

payment of the medical care compensation pursuant to the Protection for

Vehicle Accident Victims Law.

By my experience that information is not correct, Last month my wife was involved in a serious motor bike accident and was hospitalized at our village hospital for 6 days, the 30 baht medical plan paid for all the medical expenses related to the accident, except the cost of the private room which we had to pay!

She is still under medical care and Physical Therapy sessions and daily visits to the hospital to change the dressing on her injured foot all paid by the 30 baht plan.

While she was in the hospital ward paid for by the medical plan, I was appalled by the number of women in the ward as a result of motorbike accidents, daily new victim were admitted to the hospital

Cheers

That is great news about the workings of the "30 Baht Plan." I wouldn't have expected it to cover accidents but I have no complaints if it does.

Wish it had been around a year ago when I tore ligaments in my shoulder whilst getting out of our Spa. Cost me about 8-thousand baht for an MRI and then a whole lot more for an operation to put pins in my shoulder. The Doctor, the Hospital Staff were all excellent, even though I had a shared ward where I was the only Ferang amongst a bunch of guys, who ALL had Motor Cycle injuries.... I'll never let my daughter on a motorbike after what I saw in the hospital.

Back to the 30-Baht plan.....so far, so good. Just hope they continue with it, whichever Political Party is in Government.

Could anyone tell me if me and my wife are entitled to this 30 baht plan?

For your info, we are both farang and on retirement visas. We also have our own property and live in Hua Hin.

If the answer is in the affirmative, how and where do we go about registering for this service?

Thanks in advance.

Could anyone tell me if me and my wife are entitled to this 30 baht plan?

For your info, we are both farang and on retirement visas. We also have our own property and live in Hua Hin.

If the answer is in the affirmative, how and where do we go about registering for this service?

Thanks in advance.

I sugest you have a look at the thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671391-affordable-health-insurance/

In brief you can if you live in the right district as there is variation on how the policy is interpreted.

It is not the UCS but a seperate scheme with similar benifits.

As seen in the below the care is to be covered by the motor insurance. In big hospitals a person for the insurance will assist in filling the forms which will cover up to 12500baht or 100000baht after it goes to court if the court says you are not to fault.

insurance policy.

Motor vehicle being the operative word here.

In any event, the reimbursement issue is between the NHSO and the Victim Compensation Fund. The patient simply gets admitted and cared for .

insurance policy.

In any event, the reimbursement issue is between the NHSO and the Victim Compensation Fund. The patient simply gets admitted and cared for .

Trying to understand, this means I definitely don't need to pay more than 30 Baht for the treatment of my bicycle accident, right, Sheryl?

insurance policy.

I am sure they would get cared for and well at a Government Hospital. I am not sure about the bill though as when I had my accident it was only 13000 baht and I had to pay only 500 baht. I was visited in the ward by an official who gave me a form and told me to get my wife to make a police report on my behalf. On giving it to him before discharge he approved it and we were out.

On the 30 baht plan I have had thai friends tell me they had to pay and get reimbursed but I do not know if this is general.

I notice the 30 baht plan for foreigners specially ruled out Motor Vehicle Accidents.

I was mostly replying to kikomans post.

I had allready said I did not think a bicycle is a vehicle for this.

I thought the 30 baht plan was for Thai citizens only. Am I wrong with this assumption?

No..You are correct.

There is now a newer plan originaly for people from neighbouring countries that enables foreigners to pay 2200 baht a year plus 600baht for a medical which then allows them to get allmost the same benifits for 30baht.

It is new and some places have it available and some not. It will either become more general....or more expensive or be dropped but it does exist now.

• Like 1

Cheers

Why were you appalled? Have you not seen them driving one handed down the potholed roads chatting on their mobiles, driving one handed while holding an umbrella, driving one handed while holding a new born baby in the other? And, most of them without helmets. I have seen a few wear helmets, only to remove them after passing the police helmet check point!!!!!!!!!!

A high motorbike accident rate is the only expected result from such idiotic habits.

The only thing that surprises me is that so few actually have accidents.

For what it's worth many of the BUPA plans pay only 50% if you are injured in motorbike accident...I think the most expensive BUPA remove that restriction though.

Not so.

This is a very confusing article in the BUPA plan.

I relates to a ''Personal accident'', meaning if someone dies, for which the plan provides a lump sum benefit, depending on the plan.

If the death is as a result of a motorbike accident, only 50% of this benefit will be paid out to the succession of the deceased.

I thought the 30 baht plan was for Thai citizens only. Am I wrong with this assumption?

No..You are correct.

There is now a newer plan originaly for people from neighbouring countries that enables foreigners to pay 2200 baht a year plus 600baht for a medical which then allows them to get allmost the same benifits for 30baht.

It is new and some places have it available and some not. It will either become more general....or more expensive or be dropped but it does exist now.

A couple of days ago, on my advice, a farang friend went to Nakhon Ping Hospital CM early afternoon asking for an afternoon appointment some days hence to enroll in this scheme.

He was told to come back at 8:30am.

Long story short:

When he returned at 8:30am he was informed the scheme was cancelled for new applicants on 2nd December sad.png

I have no further information and no idea if I can renew next year.

Has anybody succeeded in enrolling at Nakhon Ping Hospital after 2nd December inst., or any hospital in CM for that matter?

Edited by oTwoPies

Cheers

Why were you appalled? Have you not seen them driving one handed down the potholed roads chatting on their mobiles, driving one handed while holding an umbrella, driving one handed while holding a new born baby in the other? And, most of them without helmets. I have seen a few wear helmets, only to remove them after passing the police helmet check point!!!!!!!!!!

A high motorbike accident rate is the only expected result from such idiotic habits.

The only thing that surprises me is that so few actually have accidents.

Funny that, i was thinking the same thing today, riding carefully along in the rain, i was overtaken by several women either holding an umbrella in left hand or holding their left hand over their eyes so they could see where they were going, but i have got a very good visor on my crash helmet, none of them even had a helmet.