Elderly foreigner hurt in bike-car smash in Phuket

Lite Beer

As everywhere in the world (also England,Australia,Africa,America,Europe...)there is priority of the right (except otherwise indicated)

So if you see dammage on the left side of a car ,99% this car was in his right.

In thai traffic rules is stipulated: motorcycles can only drive in the left hand side of the street .Occupying max 1 meter of space.I a car is parked in this space ,the motorcycle is not allowed to pas the parked vehicle on the right,but has to stop and Walk arround the car on the left side .

This is the thai law,check it out in the books.Dont ask a police man ,they know nothing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

sweetbee, on 13 Dec 2013 - 17:20, said:

I come to the scene some minute after it happen, worst! It was a Kawasaki versys not a Honda CBR and the tank was 10 meter away from the bike.

Oh, never mind, close enough. Normal reporting from Phuket and Pattaya. After all this is Thailand and ThaiVisa, so we don't need much accuracy to determine what happened, right Gweiloman?

I have to wonder how fast he was going if the gas tank was so far away.

• Like 2

lucjoker, on 13 Dec 2013 - 17:25, said:

As everywhere in the world (also England,Australia,Africa,America,Europe...)there is priority of the right (except otherwise indicated)

In thai traffic rules is stipulated: motorcycles can only drive in the left hand side of the street .Occupying max 1 meter of space.I a car is parked in this space ,the motorcycle is not allowed to pas the parked vehicle on the right,but has to stop and Walk arround the car on the left side .

This is the thai law,check it out in the books.Dont ask a police man ,they know nothing.

Totally confusing comments. Can you give a link to the Thai version of the laws? I think the Google translation will make more sense than what you wrote.

Pretty clear who's at fault here. I honestly don't expect to be nor do I want to be still driving when I'm 88.

☝️The driver turned in front of the motorcyclist who was doing a reasonable speed...driver probably at fault.

✌️The driver turned in front of the motorcyclist who was doing a reasonable speed...motorcyclist probably at fault.

Not so easy to be sure who is at fault.

I do agree with the last part. It's pretty hard to drive when you are ashes scattered to the wind, where I expect to be at 88!

<where I expect to be at 88!>

Which is what I hope to be long before 88.

I come to the scene some minute after it happen, worst! It was a Kawasaki versys not a Honda CBR and the tank was 10 meter away from the bike.

Oh I see. That's why the tank was thrown that far.

If it was a Honda, the shouldn't have thrown.

Drivers with that kind of motorcycle, I seldom see them driving slowly as if they want to show that they are spectacular.

But I pity them both because I also experienced motorcycle accidents.

Gweiloman, on 13 Dec 2013 - 15:36, said:

Pretty clear who's at fault here. I honestly don't expect to be nor do I want to be still driving when I'm 88.

You must have more info than what is written or is it psychic powers that led you to conclude the clear determination of fault?

Yep........thumbsup.gif

Are you saying that the car driver is at fault because of his age ?

Hope both of them are ok, and the Thai guy riding the bike was lucky to have been wearing a helmet. Look at the pic of the bike riding behind the smashed up car and bike. Some people never learn really.... You should always wear a helmet if you are the rider or passenger. They do save lifes !

Driving a little slower would also be helpfull

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy

Car turned right from southbound lane; bike in northbound lane crashed into left front of car. Normally when a car turns a corner, it goes pretty slow. From the looks of the bike and the car, the bike was travelling at a much higher rate of speed. So, the statements that the bike had the right-of-way are questionable. The car driver maybe didn't see him because he was coming so fast or misjudged his high rate of speed. Either case is very possible in Thailand, as we have all seen these bike riders being unbelievably reckless.

88 is nothing nowadays--many persons are still capable-on this occasion I DON"T know. at 88 I want to be shot by a jealous husband.cheesy.gif

JohnPark, on 13 Dec 2013 - 16:53, said:

Car was at fault 100% guys never notice us on our bikes. And 88 is way too old to be driving IMO.

Age doesn't make a good or bad driver. We don't know but maybe he is a better driver than you.

I know he isn't. He caused a crash.

• Like 1

Car turned right from southbound lane; bike in northbound lane crashed into left front of car. Normally when a car turns a corner, it goes pretty slow. From the looks of the bike and the car, the bike was travelling at a much higher rate of speed. So, the statements that the bike had the right-of-way are questionable. The car driver maybe didn't see him because he was coming so fast or misjudged his high rate of speed. Either case is very possible in Thailand, as we have all seen these bike riders being unbelievably reckless.

Although if you are turning across the line of traffic you are at fault, as you SHALL give way, even if the oncoming vehicle is going fast, BUT at an intersection one should slow down, on main highways there should be more underpasses/overpasses. take the 331 Sattahip to Kabinburi--intersections are a joke.

• Like 1

You must have more info than what is written or is it psychic powers that led you to conclude the clear determination of fault?

Certainly no need to have jury trails any longer. They can just send a picture of the crime to your house, and you can convict on that alone. It will save a lot of time and money.

Yes i agree, because he is 88 is not an issue.

Some people at that age are better drivers than some in the twenties.

Wait for the full facts to come out before you finger point at somebody.

Not doubt some 88 year olds do. Not this bloke apparently. He just had an accident (by the way there is no such thing as an accident). Drive to stay alive, not just because you have the right of way....or not.

Regardless of who is at fault, I hope both recover. That's just a horrific crash for a motorcyclist. It looks like the motorcyclist came off the bike, and hit the driver side front window. I drive both a car and a motorcycle here, and as a motorcycle driver, that picture just gives me the chills. Scary!

Hopefully the bike rider was aware enough to grab the driver by throat as he passed through the window.

if he is making a right turn it means he came from the left for the motorbike. Right have right of way in Thailand , only nobody really knows it.

Surely not correct as the article says the car was turning right from the southbound lane and the motorcyclist was travelling north - so the car was intending to cross the north bound lane so should give way to northbound traffic.

• Like 1

You have a picture of a car in your avatar. Presumably that means you drive as well. God help us all

• Like 2

Right of way does not depend on speed. Right of way means right of way.

• Like 1

Please show the traffic rule that states that motorcycles can only travel in the left hand lane. if this is the case, how can a motorbike turn right?

I don't know any details about the junction, are there traffic lights there?

Oh I see. That's why the tank was thrown that far.

If it was a Honda, the shouldn't have thrown.

Drivers with that kind of motorcycle, I seldom see them driving slowly as if they want to show that they are spectacular.

But I pity them both because I also experienced motorcycle accidents.

You obviously don't ride a (big) bike nor know anyone who does. I know plenty of people who ride big bikes but I seldom see them trying to show that they are "spectacular". What do you mean by that anyway?

On the contrary, people who ride big bikes tend to be more careful and educated and dare I say it, more intelligent (if you take ALL bike riders as a group). Why do I say that? Very simply because a big bike costs more and in general, one needs to have the attributes that I mentioned above to afford to purchase a big bike.

Before any one starts flaming, please note the intentional use of the word "tend".

Not sure I understand all the comments on who is at fault. The car made a right hand turn across the path of

an oncoming scooter who has the right of way going straight in his lane. It is irrelevant how fast the bike was

going. Up to the car driver to judge if there was enough room/time to cross in front of the scooter or wait and pass

after the bike goes by. The only issue up for debate is (not fault as it was clearly 100% the drivers fault) but

why the driver crossed in front when he did. Did he not see the bike, (vision issue, not paying attention,

or did he misjudge the speed (closing rate) of the bike and thought he had more time, possibly a reaction

time issue, he did not react quickly enough pressing down on the gas pedal to get across before the

bike came along. Some drivers are unsafe at ant age, some should stop driving at 75 others are perfectly

capable at 90. But here the driver made a mistake. It was not clear for him to make a move across the lane.

Best post to date on this thread. I commend you sir for having the patience to exhaustively detail out what obviously happened.

• Like 2

So you were there then....you actually saw the crash?

Otherwise your comment is aegist in the extreme and pretty prejudious against older people. Do you beleive that a driver of 38/48/58/etc would have avoided the accident? So, again, all young drivers under a certain age are ace drivers and all of them should be on the roads? Or just could the young bike rider have been travelling at sucicide speed, as I have seen all too often? The biggest cause of fatal accidents are males under 25...not older men over 80.

I do not know the driver but I would never assume that his age was the cause of the accident....he had the sense to try and avoid the crash so he can't be as senile as you beleive.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand all the comments on who is at fault. The car made a right hand turn across the path of

an oncoming scooter who has the right of way going straight in his lane. It is irrelevant how fast the bike was

going. Up to the car driver to judge if there was enough room/time to cross in front of the scooter or wait and pass

after the bike goes by. The only issue up for debate is (not fault as it was clearly 100% the drivers fault) but

why the driver crossed in front when he did. Did he not see the bike, (vision issue, not paying attention,

or did he misjudge the speed (closing rate) of the bike and thought he had more time, possibly a reaction

time issue, he did not react quickly enough pressing down on the gas pedal to get across before the

bike came along. Some drivers are unsafe at ant age, some should stop driving at 75 others are perfectly

capable at 90. But here the driver made a mistake. It was not clear for him to make a move across the lane.

Ukic......of course speed is relevent! What the heck!!!

So the rider goes along at 50 kph....and all is well. he and drivers can react. double this, as I have seen too often, and you have no chance.

Speed is the biggest factor and is the most relevent.

100 kph by the way is 28 m per second.

My guess...and it is purely an uneducated and ill informed guess, is that both are to blame.

• Like 1