Pattaya = Thailand?

busgen

Living in and around Pattaya for some years now I have the strong idea that Pattaya is absolutely not Thai.

More and more I discuss, with Thai and Farangs, about the fact that Pattaya is a very sick city and needs treatment.

Pattaya is a city which contains inhabitants from all over Thailand (Thai) and all over the world (foreigners). This results in an amazing mixture of cultures, believes, back grounds and strange ideas.

The prove that Pattaya is more or less a geographical cancer is that there are social casualties every day, Thai as well as foreigners.

Pattaya is a magnet for people (Thai as well as foreigners) who like to live on the dark side of live.

Pattaya is a place where Thai can make easy and quick cash and where foreigners make that possible.

Of course, there are numbers of people who live in Pattaya, happy and forever. They usually live on 'the other side of Sukhumvit' in a nice piece of property.

In the 1980's, Pattaya had approx. 6,500 born Pattayans. Of course has grown slightly over the years, but at this moment Pattaya can accomodate about 600,000 people. It's like you take a dwarf and put a pick up truck on his back: the load is too heavy!!!

Well, dear readers, I can go on and on............but let me get one thing straight: I love Thailand and especially the E-San, but whenever I have to go to Pattaya it is as entering another world.

Living in and around Pattaya for some years now I have the strong idea that Pattaya is absolutely not Thai.

More and more I discuss, with Thai and Farangs, about the fact that Pattaya is a very sick city and needs treatment.

Pattaya is a city which contains inhabitants from all over Thailand (Thai) and all over the world (foreigners). This results in an amazing mixture of cultures, believes, back grounds and strange ideas.

The prove that Pattaya is more or less a geographical cancer is that there are social casualties every day, Thai as well as foreigners.

Pattaya is a magnet for people (Thai as well as foreigners) who like to live on the dark side of live.

Pattaya is a place where Thai can make easy and quick cash and where foreigners make that possible.

Of course, there are numbers of people who live in Pattaya, happy and forever. They usually live on 'the other side of Sukhumvit' in a nice piece of property.

In the 1980's, Pattaya had approx. 6,500 born Pattayans. Of course has grown slightly over the years, but at this moment Pattaya can accomodate about 600,000 people. It's like you take a dwarf and put a pick up truck on his back: the load is too heavy!!!

Well, dear readers, I can go on and on............but let me get one thing straight: I love Thailand and especially the E-San, but whenever I have to go to Pattaya it is as entering another world.

Just as a matter of interest, why have you started a new topic when there are at least 4 topics on this page alone solely dedicated to critsicing Pattaya, and most of the others have digressed into Pattaya bashing?

Does everyone who has something negative to say about Pattya have to start a new topic?

BTW You couldn't put a pick up truck on the back of a dwarf, because he has already been swallowed by a hippo.

Next time get your facts straight. :o

Fascinating stuff old boy..... :o

Fascinating stuff old boy..... :D

Isn't it just.............. :o

Fascinating stuff old boy..... :D

Isn't it just.............. :o

My 50 satangs worth................. :D

This pathetic attempt at Pattaya bashing and the nonsense expressed therein bears all the hallmarks of an invidual who has lost his way, is racist and really knows nothing of Pattaya and the area and the reasons why multicultural cities flourish.

I doubt that you have ever been to Pattaya and enjoyed this vibrant and expanding city which many of us love and see flourishing with offerings of both good investment opportunities and enjoyment for millions of tourists and visitors.

If you have been to Pattaya or as you say `live in and around Pattaya` then I suggest that you do something positive, get out a bit more and go and enjoy life.

This pathetic attempt at Pattaya bashing and the nonsense expressed therein bears all the hallmarks of an invidual who has lost his way, is racist and really knows nothing of Pattaya and the area and the reasons why multicultural cities flourish.

I doubt that you have ever been to Pattaya and enjoyed this vibrant and expanding city which many of us love and see flourishing with offerings of both good investment opportunities and enjoyment for millions of tourists and visitors.

If you have been to Pattaya or as you say `live in and around Pattaya` then I suggest that you do something positive, get out a bit more and go and enjoy life.

Well its Thailands fun city

Disneyland for the desparate and dateless single man.

Sure it sounds trite but many people have found a new lease of life...thats nice.

Some havent and it eventualy kills them.

For me its love hate.

Why not have a topic?. :o:D

Yank-bashing was more entertaining.... :o

That's banned on the grounds of racism..

That's why the Bashers love bashing Pattaya. They can let off steam to their hearts' content and no-one can accuse them of racism, flaming, polical incorrectness or any other forum misdemeanour.

These poor unfortunate wretches, with no sense of humour, who hate seeing people enjoy themseleves, are green with envy every time they see a fifty plus, pot bellied farang walking down the road arm in arm with some gorgeous young scantily clad young lady (who will become the next fantasy of their nightly tossing), and with a massive chip on their shoulder, have found the perfect avenue to unload that bitterness that is building up in their disturbed minds.

Perfect ain't it! So bash away guys :D You must feel better already. :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Mobi hit it pretty close. SOME guys are NOT allowed to go to Pattaya. They seem to have fallen into the old trap. (She who must be obeyed). :D

EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!! :o

Mobi hit it pretty close. SOME guys are NOT allowed to go to Pattaya. They seem to have fallen into the old trap. (She who must be obeyed). :D

EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!! :o

....and some of the bashers on here are `blokes` whose boyfriends won`t let them go to Boyztown :D

These poor unfortunate wretches, with no sense of humour, who hate seeing people enjoy themseleves, are green with envy every time they see a fifty plus, pot bellied farang walking down the road arm in arm with some gorgeous young scantily clad young lady.

Perfect ain't it! So bash away guys :D You must feel better already. :D

That reminds me, got to go see a certain young lady tonight, maybe take her to dinner and a movie, maybe stroll along certain areas just to stir up some of those unfortunate wretches :D

(then again, I'm not 50+, and am only carrying a little extra insulation around the middle, so maybe those people won't be as envious ?) :o

EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!! :D

....and some of the bashers on here are `blokes` whose boyfriends won`t let them go to Boyztown :D

:o

As a recently-single, 30-something American with a nice chunk of change, Pattaya is like the promised land to me. Granted, I've seen little else of the LoS though other than 3 days worth in BK which was virtually almost all in malls there, otherwise Gulliver's. Then there was Chiang Mai for Songkran. I'm sure there's so much more to Thailand than Pattaya, and in no way do I consider Pattaya the quintessence of it. That'd be like considering Las Vegas the capitol of the USA. They're both fun places to visit, but I couldn't live for long in either (this also coming from a New Yorker, mind you) It'd be just too much excess for me to handle for a length of time and I'd inevitably burn out. :o

Ok ... So we chose Pattaya rather than Thailand. So what's your next whine ? :o

Naka.

These poor unfortunate wretches, with no sense of humour, who hate seeing people enjoy themseleves, are green with envy every time they see a fifty plus, pot bellied farang walking down the road arm in arm with some gorgeous young scantily clad young lady

Not really Moby, I usually look and see a financial arrangement, I'm sure most Thais see the same thing. Come back when you are 50 year old pot bellied farang with no money, walking down the road arm in arm with some gorgeous young scantily clad young lady. Then I might be jealous.

As a recently-single, 30-something American with a nice chunk of change, Pattaya is like the promised land to me. Granted, I've seen little else of the LoS though other than 3 days worth in BK which was virtually almost all in malls there, otherwise Gulliver's. Then there was Chiang Mai for Songkran. I'm sure there's so much more to Thailand than Pattaya, and in no way do I consider Pattaya the quintessence of it. That'd be like considering Las Vegas the capitol of the USA. They're both fun places to visit, but I couldn't live for long in either (this also coming from a New Yorker, mind you) It'd be just too much excess for me to handle for a length of time and I'd inevitably burn out. :o

Neat post. Fun parks are great to visit but who'd want to live in one ?

Not really Moby, I usually look and see a financial arrangement, I'm sure most Thais see the same thing. Come back when you are 50 year old pot bellied farang with no money, walking down the road arm in arm with some gorgeous young scantily clad young lady. Then I might be jealous.

What if I'm still here 5 years from now, with a little extra padding around my waist, and still walking down the street with the same "gorgeous young scantily clad young lady" ?

These poor unfortunate wretches, with no sense of humour, who hate seeing people enjoy themseleves, are green with envy every time they see a fifty plus, pot bellied farang walking down the road arm in arm with some gorgeous young scantily clad young lady

I thought most marriages were a financial arrangement :o

I thought most marriages were a financial arrangement :D

hmmm Tell us more :o

hmmm Tell us more :D

Ask John1000 in the Dilema (sic) thread. He seems to be at the but end of some interesting financial arrangements - might end up without enough to make any new ones, poor chap. :o

quote Kerryd

What if I'm still here 5 years from now, with a little extra padding around my waist, and still walking down the street with the same "gorgeous young scantily clad young lady" ?

unquote

I hate to say it Kerry, but are you sure that the same lady will be quite as gorgeous and quite as scantily clad in 5 years from now?

It might be time to make some new financial arrangements :D

hmmm Tell us more :o

Reminds me of a conversation I had on a troop train years ago in Germany (not that long ago !)

Talking about a recent trip to Amsterdam and visiting the world reknown Red Light District. One of the guys made a comment about paying for sex.

I asked him, "Are you married ?"

"Yes" he replied.

"Then you are paying for it every day of you life, and you're not even getting "any""

He got a sad look on his face and said "You're right"

(I guess his old lady was having a lot of "headaches" at night recently)

My 50 satangs worth................. :o

Cheap skate. My 10 bahts worth........................ :D:D

Personally Pattaya isnt for me, but each to their own. I still enjoy reading about all the trials and tribulations that go on in Pattaya. :D

Edited by daleyboy

i think you have all missed the point of the bashers , be they pattaya bashers , koh samui bashers , or thailand bashers , and that is the fun to be had by the bashers during the bashing process at the expense of the defenders , i.e. the bashees

it has got nothing to do with the supposed object of the bashing etc., but all to do with the fun of the wind up and the leading on of the aggrieved inhabitants of the region under siege.