UK education of 16 year old Thai

Not sure if this belongs here. I have the visa appeal for the wife's son in January. He is 16 now. The plan is, if he wins the appeal, I assume he will as Trenton Oldfield won his appeal, that he will complete this years schooling in Thailand in March then come to the UK in April.

I therefore assume that he will then have to enter compulsary schooling in the UK for one term wheich will be pointless as all the other 16 year olds will be preparing for GCSEs and sitting them in June.

The question is what does he do next. He could do a vocational course at the local college in September which seems the best bet of waste a year at school and see if he can get some GCSEs next year. Seems improbable as he will have missed a whole year.

Clearly the ECO didn't consider this last year when the visa application was turned down.

Quite annoyed because the rejection last year has well and truly screwed up his future education but I am assuming that the expected outcome was that he just stayed in Thailand.

Anybody else had a 16 year old come to the UK and what did you do about education?

Worth talking to the school and college. A lot depends on the standard of English spoken. There are resources available to schools for additional tuition but these may be limited in areas with significant numbers of pupils speaking English as a second language.

The type of schooling he has received in Thailand will have a major impact on the likelihood of gaining GCSE's in the UK. Our lot had private education in Thailand but even this was completely different to teaching methods in the UK. True international schools will probably follow western education more closely.

Not an easy age to bring a child to the UK but should be fine!

• Like 1

I would definitely check about transfering credits, or whatever high school systems use. After working in the Thai system a few years, I'd be surprised if western education would consider Thai grades equal. The Thai system doesn't allow kids failing grades, no consequences for cheating, no checking for cheating, hmm? what else?

If the lad really wants to continue his formal education, maybe the best choice will be a combination of private tuition and home learning. He will have a hard enough time acclimatising to the cultural differences anyway, without being subjected to the additional, harsh environment of a secondary school. Fellow pupils that age can be distracting at best, or at worst cruel to anybody 'different'. After that period of cultural acclimatisation, he should be ready to take full advantage of tertiary education.

Wish him every success in his chosen path.

• Like 2

I would definitely check about transfering credits, or whatever high school systems use. After working in the Thai system a few years, I'd be surprised if western education would consider Thai grades equal. The Thai system doesn't allow kids failing grades, no consequences for cheating, no checking for cheating, hmm? what else?

A lot will depend on the child's ability in engish and if he has been undertaking formal studies in english language across many subjects. I work in an English Program and I use Singaporean books based on their version of the GCSE's. My good grade 10 students would easily cope with the UK maths curriculum at IGCSE level. Students alsouse similar books for science.

It's also possible for the OP to have his son start studying for GCSE's now, as plenty of books are available, along with all past exams online, and courses run in BKK (for IGCSE). This is providing his english level is adequate. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Remember that it may be compulsory for him to be in some form of education or training until he is 18; depending on his date of birth and which part of the UK you live in.

See School leaving age.

Speak to your local education authority.

BTW:-

That the idiot Oldfield won his appeal does not mean that your step son will win his. Apart from the fact that each appeal is considered on it's own merits, Oldfield is a UK resident who appealed against a deportation order issued after he was convicted of a criminal offence. Your step son is not (I hope) a criminal and is appealing against an entry clearance refusal. Totally different.

The ECO would have considered whether or not your step son met the requirements of the immigration rules for the visa applied for. For reasons you have consistently refused to tell us, the ECO decided that he didn't. The boy's education once in the UK is not a requirement of the immigration rules and so would not have been a consideration.

That the idiot Oldfield won his appeal does not mean that your step son will win his. Apart from the fact that each appeal is considered on it's own merits, Oldfield is a UK resident who appealed against a deportation order issued after he was convicted of a criminal offence.

Nice to know we agree on Trenton Oldfield. You should never bite the hand that feeds you and his crazy antics

spoiled the race.

I have to say I'm a bit of a pessimist so when a Thai friend decided to bring her 15 year old non English speaking

son to the UK several years ago I thought it would not work out. However the boy worked hard,learnt English and spent his weekends working in a chip shop. He then got another evening job when he turned sixteen and to cut a long story short he got his O and A levels, saved £20k and returned to university in Thailand when he was 19.

It can be done.

As an Aussie ... may I take the opportunity to apologise for Trenton Oldfield.

The worst of the worst, takes the p*** out the generous UK system.

He based his appeal partly on a claim that his British wife, Deepa Naik, and their five-month-old daughter would face discrimination if they were forced to move back with him.

"Australia to Deepa... is a particularly racist country," he said.

Me thinks he had a smart Lawyer ...

Sorry about that chaps ... wai.gif

That the idiot Oldfield won his appeal does not mean that your step son will win his. Apart from the fact that each appeal is considered on it's own merits, Oldfield is a UK resident who appealed against a deportation order issued after he was convicted of a criminal offence.

Nice to know we agree on Trenton Oldfield. You should never bite the hand that feeds you and his crazy antics

spoiled the race.

I have to say I'm a bit of a pessimist so when a Thai friend decided to bring her 15 year old non English speaking

son to the UK several years ago I thought it would not work out. However the boy worked hard,learnt English and spent his weekends working in a chip shop. He then got another evening job when he turned sixteen and to cut a long story short he got his O and A levels, saved £20k and returned to university in Thailand when he was 19.

It can be done.

In 1990 I took the wife's then 14 year old son to the UK. Was told by embassy (then) that 16 was the cut-off age whereby the child was no longer considered dependent.

He didn't do too well in final 18 months of UK school, as spoke no English on arrival, but has a job, Thai wife & two daughters & still in UK.

• Like 1

Education is now compulsory until the age of 18 now in the UK. It's changed in the last couple of years.

Should correct myself, in England it's now compulsory to be in education/apprenticeship/work of over 20 hours a week. Apparently, the welsh, irish and scottish governments are ok with their youngsters leaving at 16 and doing nothing!

spoiled the race.

It can be done.

In 1990 I took the wife's then 14 year old son to the UK. Was told by embassy (then) that 16 was the cut-off age whereby the child was no longer considered dependent.

He didn't do too well in final 18 months of UK school, as spoke no English on arrival, but has a job, Thai wife & two daughters & still in UK.

Good to see a few success stories. A friend of my wife has been in the UK for 9 years. She brought her 10 year old daughter with her. The husband was not bothered about the kid, only his own son born the same year. Daughter is now 18, left school and doing nothing, except hanging out with her mates. She's a nice kid, but just didn't take to school and had no help or encouragement from the 'father'.

Iam very interested in this topic as I have a similar situation which is causing me some sleepless nights. I had to return to the UK for work ( hopefully for only a couple of years) and wish to bring wife, 4yo son and stepdaughters 10 and 16 yo over to join me next year. The two youngest are not a problem as they could enter school but the 16yo is. At that age she would struggle being thrown into a British school.

Im not sure what is the best option as her English is not great and also would wish her to be able to enter Thai university is a couple of years. Maybe crash course in English then some sort of college is the way to go.

I may be getting a much better paid job in Germany which would really compound the problem (they have no German language ability whatsoever).

I was in a similar position when my wife and I married in 2000.

My step daughter was 9 and my step son 16 when we did so, and whilst it was a given that the girl would come to the UK we agonised a great deal over the boy.

After much consideration, and of course taking his wishes into account, we decided that his interest would be better served if he remained in Thailand with his aunt, my wife's sister, where he finished high school and then attended university in Bangkok.

The girl fitted into an UK school very well; with help from her teachers and fellow pupils, and is currently at university in the UK.

I was in a similar position when my wife and I married in 2000.

My step daughter was 9 and my step son 16 when we did so, and whilst it was a given that the girl would come to the UK we agonised a great deal over the boy.

After much consideration, and of course taking his wishes into account, we decided that his interest would be better served if he remained in Thailand with his aunt, my wife's sister, where he finished high school and then attended university in Bangkok.

The girl fitted into an UK school very well; with help from her teachers and fellow pupils, and is currently at university in the UK.

I am thinking he might settle into a college and do a vocational course better that going to school. If they accept credits and he can move on to A levels with out GCSEs so much the better but doing a year in a class with kids all a year younger doing GCSEs in the hope of passing seems risky to me.

I disagree. I suspect he will need to do the GCSE's and spend a year getting used to the language before moving to A levels.

They are a challenge for most kids. My sons went to boarding school from the age of 11 and did not find them a pushover so for a Thai kid coming to the UK without English as a primary language is really hoping for a lot.

Kevin, credit where it is due: the above post makes a valid point.

Unless the boy has very good English he is going to struggle, even at GCSE level.

How is his English?

My daughter went to state schools and had virtually no English when she arrived. She needed, and received, English lessons and help at first, obviously. She worked hard and gained good results at both GCSE and A level and is, as I said, now at university.

But I fear that your step son, at 16, is too old to qualify for the assistance she received.

Have you spoken to your LEA?

Edited by 7by7

I'm not sure his LEA can offer much advice until the child/young person arrives in the UK.

Given how much they are being stretched at the moment with migration from the Baltic states

I doubt they can offer any serious career advice.

At the age of 16 I fear you've left it too late and the child might fare better in the Thai system.

You have to look at how he might progress here against Thailand and a decent degree.

Education is now compulsory until the age of 18 now in the UK. It's changed in the last couple of years.

Should correct myself, in England it's now compulsory to be in education/apprenticeship/work of over 20 hours a week. Apparently, the welsh, irish and scottish governments are ok with their youngsters leaving at 16 and doing nothing!

I'm sorry to disagree with you but if by Irish you mean Eire that is not the case. Education is a high priority now and apart from a 'course registration' fee of 2,250 Euro, with plans to raise it to 3,000 Euro by 2015, education to university graduation is free. Edited by Jay Sata

I'm not sure his LEA can offer much advice until the child/young person arrives in the UK.

Given how much they are being stretched at the moment with migration from the Baltic states

I doubt they can offer any serious career advice..

LEA's do not offer career advice, never have; that's not their function.

But they are the people to talk to, at least initially, about finding a school place for the boy and what he may or may not be entitled to; e.g. remedial English.

What have the Baltic states got to do with anything in this topic?