chow box

dazk

I tried it once when it first opened, it was awful, but i gave it the benefit of the doubt because it was their first week. A friend tried it last week. he is a chef and ran a few restaurants in the south of England. In his opinion it was probably the worst takeaway food he has ever had in Thailand.

• Like 2

I tried it once when it first opened, it was awful, but i gave it the benefit of the doubt because it was their first week. A friend tried it last week. he is a chef and ran a few restaurants in the south of England. In his opinion it was probably the worst takeaway food he has ever had in Thailand.

That's quite a statement!

No I haven't been and won't be going. Sometimes I DO listen to OTHER people. whistling.gif (Mark the date?)

That area of town is hotting up so they might have a go with at least more one offs. It is attractively designed but you can't eat design.

Edited by Jingthing

They might benefit when the huge condo nearby fills up, but I agree with the comments never see anyone in there, I suppose if the food is that bad word has got around.

BTW there is a new chippie opened around the corner from there , but be warned the fish is OK, but they use tasteless frozen chips

Being empty is not necessarily an indication of poor food. I've "discovered" a number of restaurants over the years that have been great and empty. I do understand that people think it's risky to enter empty restaurants. Not only the question why aren't there customers but also the valid concern that they even have fresh food in stock.

In the case of Chowbox they might have miscalculated the demand for their type of Westernized "Chinese" food served in such an upscale looking location in Pattaya. Their location is fine for now and will get better, so I wouldn't blame their low volume just based on location.

Edited by Jingthing

I had hope for the place and tried it early on. I would not even call it "Westernized Chinese food" as that would be a huge compliment. To me, I thought it was Thai food posing as Chinese food. My guess is that the "chef" is Thai and knows what is best for foreigners and can't grasp why any foreigner would want authentic Chinese food or Westernized Chinese food, so makes it Thai style, which is crap IMHO. It looks great inside. The China Garden over in Soi Buakow is much better if you want Westernized Chinese food (try one of their black bean dishes), but, even then, it is not good Westernized Chinese food like you might find in most places in the USA. IMHO, we still do not have even one Westernized Chinese food place in all of Thailand that is worth going to. I find that almost astonishing. Yes, I have eaten at several places in "China town" in Bangkok, and have yet to find any food that is similar to Westernized Chinese food in the USA. But, I know some people will argue otherwise. I am talking about Westernized Chinese food that has nothing to do with dumplings, noodles and odd soups.

• Like 2

Yeah I think you are probably correct that there is not even one decent Westernized Chinese place in Thailand. In Pattaya, it's quite a challenge to locate even good Chinese Chinese food, though plenty of Thai Chinese options (which is not so much my bag).

I don't know if it's really astonishing though.

BTW, I actually like GOOD Westernized Chinese food, not nearly as much as authentic regional Chinese Chinese food, but good being the key word.

Edited by Jingthing

Wife and I visited this restaurant last week. She went with a rice dish while I went with a noodle dish. Both tasteless and disappointing. Shanghai on " Sai Sam " still the best for taste and value.

I also like Shanghai but feel both places are trying to do different kinds of foods so don't think they should be directly compared. Chow Box isn't even trying for real Chinese food but the issue here is are they succeeding or not at what they DO present themselves to be. Like comparing an Italian place to a Lebanese place in my view.

They might benefit when the huge condo nearby fills up, but I agree with the comments never see anyone in there, I suppose if the food is that bad word has got around.

BTW there is a new chippie opened around the corner from there , but be warned the fish is OK, but they use tasteless frozen chips

Absolutely agree with your comments about the chippie, the fish is very good especially the cod and haddock. But why oh why the frozen chips? With proper home made chips this place would have the potential to be the best of it's kind in Pattaya. Is it that making proper chips is just not cost effective, does anyone know?

Absolutely agree with your comments about the chippie, the fish is very good especially the cod and haddock. But why oh why the frozen chips? With proper home made chips this place would have the potential to be the best of it's kind in Pattaya. Is it that making proper chips is just not cost effective, does anyone know?

Never mind...just eat the fish...the carbs in potatoes are very bad for you and the glycemic index of potatoes is one of the worst of all the starches...they make your blood sugar immediately shoot up like a rocket.

My experience at the Chow Box wasn't as bad as many of the members here mention.

Was there with a friend last week.

Only table, but it was early, around 6 pm.

Very friendly staff, nice decor.

Food took a long time to come to the table.

We had a mixed starter to share. The ribs were very tasty, although a bit dry. The spring rolls nothing special.

What they called sate chicken, not good at all.

Then the most insipid, bland beef curry I remember.

Decent Brit-style Peking duck dish. Very nice pancakes and also very nice sauce that seemed home made.

The duck itself tasted well and was not chewy. Very fresh spring onions showed that at least they do a

daily shopping for produce.

My friend had another dish that I don't remember but was "OK".

Delicious super-calorie banana toffee bomb with ice cream to finish. One portion more than enough for

both of us. They say all is well if it ends well, but not really a good reason to go back there any time soon.

Total cost, including one beer and one water, 995 Baht for 2. If the food had been more consistent, as in the

duck level, I would say worth it.

Maybe I will feel the urge for that kind of food again in a few months, but I can't see them lasting that long.

Hopefully they can still bring in a new chef (unless he is the owner) and make things better.

I've never seen more than two tables going in the place when I pass by on ye olde baht busse. I wouldn't make any assumptions about their business capitalization and how long they will or won't last. That's a business matter more than anything. Obviously a significant investment was made to start the place and now that nearby large building has gone up.

Thanks for the details about the food experience for you, besth.

Edited by Jingthing

You think the Chow Box is bad, you should try the Thai-Ger restaurant on Jomtien beach road, very poor with very high prices. Kiss is excellent value for money and you can see the cooks cooking which is always a plus.

facepalm.gif Is either place doing Westernized Chinese food? coffee1.gif

• Like 1