bike wouldn't start 3k to fix?

nellyp

After leaving my bike for 2 months it wouldn't start, and sounded like it either wasn't sparking or no petrol (Put on new battery and spark plug, petrol was leaving the tank). Garage bloke tells me it needs to have valves reground and the piston re seated, seals replaced etc after a rebuild was botched 2 years ago (he says) Looking at the valves the one looks burnt and doesn't sit right. I believe him about the leaks as water has been disappearing rapidly lately (though Ithought the leak was from the water pump.

Basic question is this: Do you think that 3000 is too much for this kind of job? The rebuild plus parts was 6k.

You don't even says which bike is that ?

And what would be the alternative, bin it?

Good point it's a 9 year old sonic. if i bin it I'll need to replace it and that would be more than 3k. I just want to know whether I should take it somewhere else or be happy with the price of the work.

One would have to see with their own eyes what exactly is wrong.

Accept the estimate ot take it the hard way asking justification for each replaced part cost and overall hours cost. That will not put the mechanic in a good mood for sure.

Thank every body, I agree that 3k isn't too much in the overall scheme of things, but I also don't like to feel ripped off.

I always felt the old work was shoddy as it leaked oil from the head from day one, but he said i didn't ask him to replace the gasketfacepalm.gif

I have thought about replacing the Sonic, but I've had it from new, and enjoy riding it. As my misses has decided she doesn't like bikes (she drives my Nissan pick up) I would probably end up with a Snoopy for me blink.png and I don't like that prospect.

Thanks again everybody, I just hope this time it's put together properly, he is giving me a year guarantee so it should be better.

Thank every body, I agree that 3k isn't too much in the overall scheme of things, but I also don't like to feel ripped off.

I always felt the old work was shoddy as it leaked oil from the head from day one, but he said i didn't ask him to replace the gasketfacepalm.gif

I have thought about replacing the Sonic, but I've had it from new, and enjoy riding it. As my misses has decided she doesn't like bikes (she drives my Nissan pick up) I would probably end up with a Snoopy for me blink.png and I don't like that prospect.

Thanks again everybody, I just hope this time it's put together properly, he is giving me a year guarantee so it should be better.

Why not consider a 150 or something there is a Honda 150 CBR advertised in the Bikes for sale for 40,000 baht. I would have to say after a Sonic you would get bored pretty quick with a Scoopy. They are alright for basic transpo but the aged Sonic has better features. The CBR would have a clutch & discs all the way around & at least be a little snappier & enjoyable . Just my opinion. I tried about every scooter on the market & didn't think the Scoopy was super dooper for a scooter. Reliable yes but something you can't wait to jump on to go to town No.

Why not consider a 150 or something there is a Honda 150 CBR advertised in the Bikes for sale for 40,000 baht. I would have to say after a Sonic you would get bored pretty quick with a Scoopy. They are alright for basic transpo but the aged Sonic has better features. The CBR would have a clutch & discs all the way around & at least be a little snappier & enjoyable . Just my opinion. I tried about every scooter on the market & didn't think the Scoopy was super dooper for a scooter. Reliable yes but something you can't wait to jump on to go to town No.

I intend on keeping the sonic. It was re-bored to a 150 when the rebuild was done, and I have enjoyed it for a long time. If that is the new(ish) cbr150 then it is a great buy...but not for me

Cheers

Neil

That is very good advice.

We have a new Scoopy in the household and I don't like it but it's my wife's bike anyway, I take my PCX 150 that's a complete different ball game.

We have a new Scoopy in the household and I don't like it but it's my wife's bike anyway, I take my PCX 150 that's a complete different ball game.

Yes the PCX is pure luxury compared to the scoopy. The scoopy lacks in options.

To The OP : As for an 8 year old bike it would have to be a collectors bike in the millions of baht for me to keep it. The newer bikes are just built so much better. the sonic was one of the best in its class in its day. But for me I am not skint ( Not saying the OP is broke)& I would consider a bike that old to reflect my economic welfare. 4 years on a 650 up to a 2600cc. is my max. Not worth dikin around with when they start breaking. You get done with the motor than the frame components are next - then the brakes tires etc.& when your done it is still an outdated bike that had its day.

• Like 1

Yes the PCX is pure luxury compared to the scoopy. The scoopy lacks in options.

To The OP : As for an 8 year old bike it would have to be a collectors bike in the millions of baht for me to keep it. The newer bikes are just built so much better. the sonic was one of the best in its class in its day. But for me I am not skint ( Not saying the OP is broke)& I would consider a bike that old to reflect my economic welfare. 4 years on a 650 up to a 2600cc. is my max. Not worth dikin around with when they start breaking. You get done with the motor than the frame components are next - then the brakes tires etc.& when your done it is still an outdated bike that had its day.

Thank you bare dog for an...interesting and...revealing post