Sugar Trucks Rant

GinBoy2

Do they teach any basic physics in school here? As we enter sugar season the usual plague of massively overloaded trucks that constantly fall over is with us once again.

Spend an 2 hours stuck after a truck fell over. Please can't someone explain the concept 'center of gravity' and why don't the damm police do something about it (that a fatuous question, I know the answer)

• Like 1

Seems that nothing is taught or LEARNED.

Police???? LOL LOL LOL that's a good one. Thanks.

How nice is it to see one of those "beasts" rolling toward you spanning the middle of the road? Shame there is NO rule of law. Just another example of the "me" mentality that is so evident on the roadways of Thailand.

• Like 2

I always thought the economics of it would deter people. Can't imagine having to make two trips in the long run costs more than having to repair your truck after it falls over. There I go again, thinking like a farang as my wife constantly reminds me.

Yesterday was a first for me, for the first time in my 10 years here, I actually witnessed the actual tipping over. Before I used to think they were like the Tooth Fairy, or Crop Circles

Last year in this area one tipped over killing an innocent 10 year old girl standing on the pavement. Just think of the damage they do to the roads, grossly overweight on sub standard constructed roads in the first place. The police and traffic department have mobile weigh bridges, why don't they use them?

Why don't the police do 'anything'????

Last year in this area one tipped over killing an innocent 10 year old girl standing on the pavement. Just think of the damage they do to the roads, grossly overweight on sub standard constructed roads in the first place. The police and traffic department have mobile weigh bridges, why don't they use them?

Most likely it's worthwhile for them to look the other way! One of the owners of a large fleet of those trucks where Iive just happens to be to district police chief!

• Like 1

Sugar Cain Road Kill

About 6 PM last night on the 214 as you come into Kap Choeng a 26 wheeler loaded with cain and hell bent for destruction ran over a motor bike and killed a man and a woman.The driver and his helper ran away as usual. The truck was turned around and parked back up by the police check point in town. Beware it is that time of year on all highways in the area for these murders to be out on the road. RIP

Edited by khwaibah

Sugar Cain Road Kill

About 6 PM last night on the 214 as you come into Kap Choeng a 26 wheeler loaded with cain and hell bent for destruction ran over a motor bike and killed a man and a woman.The driver and his helper ran away as usual. The truck was turned around and parked back up by the police check point in town. Beware it is that time of year on all highways in the area for these murders to be out on the road. RIP

It actually amazes me that more people don't die this time of year. A few years back a cousin of my ex wife, who I was close with, ended up being killed by a sugar truck while riding his motorbike just outside Korat.

The last 3 years I have been astonished to see that all lorries transporting sugar cane to the Sugar Plant in Khu Mueang are very orderly without any overrloading and overhang as before and as described by the OP. I don't know why but it is a fact. Maybe Mr. Newin ChidChob don't like to drive his big motorbike over all spill from the sugar cane transports. smile.png Myself I enjoy it very much.

Edited by JanAndersLarsson

Why don't the police do 'anything'????

Money.

I addition to the bad/non maintained trucks, overload, bad road condition (...caused by trucks...) and non skilled drivers, these trucks go long distances because most of the sugar farmers have depts with their local sugar plant. Many farmers decide to sell their sugar cane to plants in the neighboring provinces to avoid paying a precentage for the existing depts, which gives extra unneccessary long rides for the trucks on the roads. Living in Buri Rum I have to experience many accidents of these trucks on my way to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Sugar cane trucks from Buri Rum go to Sa Keo and Sa Keo trucks go to Buri Rum. The bottle neck is a steep hill on road 348, after Non Din Daeng and the crossing 348/3486 between Buri Rum and Sa Keo, which most of these trucks have problems to pass safely. Anoying and very very dangerous...

Fatfather

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday a sugar truck was coming down the road at a reasonable speed and a bus was getting ready to pullout in front of him. The sugar truck saw this and honked his horn and flashed his lights, but the bus pulled out anyway. The sugarcane truck almost jackknifed stopping, a very dangerous situation. Remember sugarcane trucks almost always pull a trailer and are heavy, it is not advisable to cut them off.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thai drivers! I constantly have people wait until I am almost on them, then they pull out in front of me going very, very slow. I pass them, then they speed up and it's life or death, they have to pass me and proceed very slowly agin. It's the Thai attitude, they want to be in front. Be careful out there!

• Like 1

Most Thais driving cars and pickups are lead footed brake riding maniacs,I find the only ones that have any idea about driving are the long distant truck drivers but that's only my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app