U.S. Mega Millions jackpot soars to $425 Million

News_Editor

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (BNO NEWS) â On this Friday the 13th, luck will be put to the test for scores of people across the United States as the Mega Millions jackpot has soared to a whopping $425 million, making it one of the world's largest jackpots in history.

Lottery officials on Friday reported strong ticket sales for the game which is played in 43 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. If your lucky ticket matches all six numbers, you will have an option of choosing a pre-tax lump sum cash out of $228.2 million or can choose to receive the full prize in 30 annual payments.

The jackpot has now rolled over 20 times without a top-prize winner since October 1st, and the chances are bigger than ever for the jackpot to increase even further. The U.S. record for the largest jackpot ever was $656 million split by three winning Mega Millions tickets in Illinois, Kansas and Maryland back on March 30, 2012.

"The strong sales of Mega Millions tickets mean more than just an exciting jackpot. They mean greater profits to benefit each state in which Mega Millions is played," said Paula Otto, executive director of the Virginia Lottery and lead director for the Mega Millions group. In many states, profits from the lottery are earmarked for education, while other beneficiaries include programs to help the elderly.

In the last drawing on Tuesday, more than 5 million tickets won prizes, including five tickets that matched the first five numbers to each win $1,000,000. Those tickets were bought in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and two in Ohio. The next drawing is at 11 p.m. ET on Friday.

Recent changes to game include larger starting jackpots, a million-dollar second prize, and a new matrix of 1-75 for the first five numbers and 1-15 for the Mega Ball number. The ticket price remains $1, but the odds of winning the jackpot are now approximately one in 259 million. The odds of winning any of the Mega Millions prizes are approximately 1-in-15.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

If I win, they will only hear the echo of my voice as I say goodbye, because that's how fast I'll be gone.

Well....maybe not...It's nice to dream, but since I don't have a lottery ticket I think my chances of winning are really, really low.

I've already won it, as informed by a Good Samaritan from Nigeria who seems to have found the ticket I did not buy.

Ha, ha, ha. You are SOL, that same guy just sold the ticket to me! He's going to deposit the money in my account, so I just sent him all my bank details!

I've already won it, as informed by a Good Samaritan from Nigeria who seems to have found the ticket I did not buy.

Ha, ha, ha. You are SOL, that same guy just sold the ticket to me! He's going to deposit the money in my account, so I just sent him all my bank details!

Not so fast, I've already sent him the advance US$ 20k required to process the outward remittance.

• Like 1

I have never played the lottery because it's a sucker's game designed to make the states money, and the odds of being a winner are tiny.

But this time I am tempted. I have a couple of hours left. Every little corner store sells tickets. The odds of winning are about zero, but if a guy won... tongue.png

I'll bet there's a line to buy tickets right now in every store that sells them. I guess I'll just pass.