Foreign Minister announces letters from various countries supporting February 2nd general election

Lite Beer

"He also said that many countries praised Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for her decision to dissolve the parliament and for her calm and collective way of dealing with the situation without further escalating tension in the country."

So. Many countries agree it was a good idea for her to stop trying to govern?

It must have been particularly gratifying for the Thai government to receive a letter a letter of moral support from Pakistan, agreeing that it was better for the pm to do what she did rather than resort to violent or unpleasant means to resolve a dispute.....

Just out of interest, did they receive a letter of support from Dubai?

Do you mean from the Emir of Dubai (or the UAE) or the Emir of PTP?

• Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen those T shirts with a big thumb on it pointing left or right and the caption reads "talk to someone who gives a f.....k". Coming from the mob who totally ignores foreign opinion, offers of professional/technical assistance (remember the big flood), the highly touted forum with Blair et al, etc, & now they want to exploit it. Clutching at straws comes to mind.

I'd like to see a list of these 40 countries.When it all boils down there wouldn't be 5 countries that gives a rats arse about Thai.And that's mainly because of the behaviour of the people running the country.Diplomacy =sycophants for whatever ulterior motive.

• Like 1

So countries express concern and encourage all parties to find peaceful solutions and somehow the TV warriors think this is a bad thing?

What do you prefer that the countries all send a letter saying sure great idea to let some THUGS appoint THEIR buddies to a peoples council and let the THUGS decide who will be appointed and let the THUGS say they will not honor the results of any elections?

Pathetic.

Thugs ?yes the corrupt lot in government their supporters including you it appears.

I'd like to see a list of these 40 countries.When it all boils down there wouldn't be 5 countries that gives a rats arse about Thai.And that's mainly because of the behaviour of the people running the country.Diplomacy =sycophants for whatever ulterior motive.

40 countries sent letters of CONCERN ONLY.............................A FEW sent letters backing the intended elections.

I do not know if you guys are reading it right.

Let's make it real: 1. Electronic voting using machines from independent western country that all parties can agree upon. 2. Those with valid ID only allowed to vote. 3. Allow 3-5 thousand foreign observers to watch on voting day. 4. Any politician caught buying votes gets automatic 5 year ban. This would take a couple months to organize I think.

Voting machines of any type, from anywhere, can be easily compromised, as was demonstrated conclusively in the USA in 2000 and 2004. Diebold Company management was quite cozily in bed with the Republican Party. (See Greg Palast, "The Best Democracy Money can Buy.")

Valid ID to vote? That is reasonable. (One valid point out of four isn't too bad, good on ya.)

Foreign observers, 3000 - 5000? This will never happen, even if the "Democrats" were in charge. Farangs, observe Thai!? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Vote buyers get a five year ban? Who will catch them, and what court will hear the charges?

Keep on keepin' it real.

Let's make it real: 1. Electronic voting using machines from independent western country that all parties can agree upon. 2. Those with valid ID only allowed to vote. 3. Allow 3-5 thousand foreign observers to watch on voting day. 4. Any politician caught buying votes gets automatic 5 year ban. This would take a couple months to organize I think.

Voting machines of any type, from anywhere, can be easily compromised, as was demonstrated conclusively in the USA in 2000 and 2004. Diebold Company management was quite cozily in bed with the Republican Party. (See Greg Palast, "The Best Democracy Money can Buy.")

Valid ID to vote? That is reasonable. (One valid point out of four isn't too bad, good on ya.)

Foreign observers, 3000 - 5000? This will never happen, even if the "Democrats" were in charge. Farangs, observe Thai!? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Vote buyers get a five year ban? Who will catch them, and what court will hear the charges?

Keep on keepin' it real.

hey, I can dream, can't i? :)

Nobody is claiming the vote count was wrong.

• Like 1

I think this whole statement is misleading. "numbers of letters received backing the upcoming general election" That also mean that there are numbers of letters are not backing the upcoming general election probably because of the massive amount of vote buying that happens at every election.

"many countries praised Prime Minister Yingluck Shinnawatra" that also means many countries did not praise the puppet PM depends on each individuals definition of "many"

Your interpretation is incorrect. The letters issued by the foreign governments reflect a common position expressing their respective government's support of non violence and the democratic process. It is not about the election per se, but is the expression of a consistent position in respect to Thailand retaining the electoral process. It is normal and expected that the tone of such diplomatic statements would use polite and respectful language.

Many of the governments have already posted their positions on their respective local websites and I suggest you read those statements. I have already quoted the Russian and UK positions. It is misleading for you to interject your personal bias into the matter, as several of Thailand's key foreign trading partners have expressed their support of a functioning and stable government. There has not been one public statement from a foreign government in support of any group seeking the overthrow of the current government or disruption of the legal electoral process.

According to a friend back in Australia, on the ABC late tonight the Australian Parliment stated they sent no such letter.

Now what does that make Yingluck ?

Parliament does not and would not issue such a letter. The letter is issued on behalf of the government of Australia by the Minister responsible for foreign affairs. Please note the following statement of December 11.

MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS

The Hon Julie Bishop MP

11 December 2013

POLITICAL SITUATION IN THAILAND

Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ms Julie Bishop, has expressed the hope that the decision by Thailand’s Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to call an early election for February 2014 will help ease the country’s political tensions. Ms Bishop noted that, although Thailand had been grappling with major political challenges, she appreciated the way in which the Thai authorities had allowed peaceful demonstrations and had responded in a restrained manner. Ms Bishop encouraged all parties to resolve their political differences through peaceful democratic processes and with respect for the rule of law, reiterating that Thailand had Australia’s goodwill and support as it tried to find ways to settle its political difficulties.

Earlier, the Australian Ambassador to Thailand released the following statement;

Statement of the Ambassador to Thailand

On the 26th November 2013, The Australian Ambassador to Thailand Mr James Wise said that Australia appreciates that in recent weeks Thailand has been trying to resolve difficult political issues in its parliament and its courts, while allowing peaceful demonstrations and open public debate.

Peaceful protest is a hallmark of democracy, as is respect for public and private property.

Thailand can be assured of Australia’s goodwill and support as it continues to deal with these problems in a democratic manner, with all sides showing restraint and a commitment to the rule of law.

These public statements were accompanied by a formal letter. The Minister's statement is tacit support for the election, which is a legal right held by the Thai government. The Australian position is consistent with the public statements and positions of other foreign governments;

1. Support for the electoral process and,

2. A respect for the rule of law and a peaceful resolution of the disagreement.

There has been no statement of support for any protest, nor of any violent action, nor of any group seeking to disrupt the electoral process.

Edited by geriatrickid

This is a shameful reach on the part of the foreign minister. Thais ignore foreign advice everyday and never seek foreign counsel willingly. All of a sudden when it suits the party in power, they flaunt these letters.

The foreign governments should be ashamed as well. Everyone knows that Thailand is a totally corrupted state with a running 12 year terrorist uprising in the south that has taken 6-7,000 lives and countless injuries. Everyone knows that Thailand needs a complete overhaul before any election is meaningful. If the letters are to be taken seriously, it means that these foreign countries are recommending the continuation of the endless cycle of Thai protest, demonstrating, posturing, and military coups without real reform. Who is more foolish, the embassies for writing the letters or the foreign minister for flaunting them?

Reform must come first before any election - Suthep is right about that. If reform does not come first, any election in Thailand is a sham.

There is already a guerilla war in the Thai south as the result of no reforms for the past 12 years. There have been 18-19 coups, most military, in Thailand since 1932. Everyone knows that Thailand does not apply rule of law equally, Thais in the north are viewed as too stupid to vote, and corruption and payoffs are the standard.

Payoffs, corruption, privileged positioning, nepotism, equal rights, free press, a culture shift away from complacency about breaking law with impunity. The Thai press needs to reform itself and become more proactive instead of just publishing this tripe that never awakens the Thai people.

I think this whole statement is misleading. "numbers of letters received backing the upcoming general election" That also mean that there are numbers of letters are not backing the upcoming general election probably because of the massive amount of vote buying that happens at every election.

Certainly doesn't mean that at all. How did you manage to work that out?.

"almost 40 countries" support the dissolution of the Thai parliament?

All a bit vague, I don't trust anything this government says, I'd like to see the letters published for all to view - I'll bet they do not reflect the impression stated above, so far not one government that I'm aware of offered any support to PTP - they made general statements about law and order - something PTP are not very good at

"almost 40 countries" support the dissolution of the Thai parliament?

All a bit vague, I don't trust anything this government says, I'd like to see the letters published for all to view - I'll bet they do not reflect the impression stated above, so far not one government that I'm aware of offered any support to PTP - they made general statements about law and order - something PTP are not very good at

You can view many of the statements at the respective foreign affairs department websites. They are usually posted in the news release section. You can also check the local embassy websites for the statements. The letters issued reflect the statements.

The positions issued by diverse governments such as Russia, the UK and Australia are consistent with the Thai government's statement, although parts of the statements are open to interpretation. The foreign government statements offer support to the duly elected government of Thailand and the electoral process and not to any specific person or political party. The Thai government will interpret the statements as an endorsement, while its detractors will say the statements are not.

• Like 2

Oh...so suddenly the opinion of farang is important???

Shazam!

I nominate that post for the 2013 post of the year. clap2.gif

this isn't fair as it was Suthep who said "i don't respect farangs" not Yingluck UNLESS you can find any quote to show this is her attitude? so a quote from Suthep against farangs is being used to attack the government who are simply saying "other countries support a democratic election" which is what we all should be doing

Let's make it real:1. Electronic voting using machines from independent western country that all parties can agree upon.2. Those with valid ID only allowed to vote. 3. Allow 3-5 thousand foreign observers to watch on voting day.4. Any politician caught buying votes gets automatic 5 year ban.This would take a couple months to organize I think.

Oh...so suddenly the opinion of farang is important???

Shazam!

I nominate that post for the 2013 post of the year. clap2.gif

this isn't fair as it was Suthep who said "i don't respect farangs" not Yingluck UNLESS you can find any quote to show this is her attitude? so a quote from Suthep against farangs is being used to attack the government who are simply saying "other countries support a democratic election" which is what we all should be doing

a) it is a Thai- thing, that farang have nothing to say here or intervene with anything- not a Suthep-exclusive- notion.

b ) "The UN is not my father!" (Thaksin)

• Like 1

So countries express concern and encourage all parties to find peaceful solutions and somehow the TV warriors think this is a bad thing?

What do you prefer that the countries all send a letter saying sure great idea to let some THUGS appoint THEIR buddies to a peoples council and let the THUGS decide who will be appointed and let the THUGS say they will not honor the results of any elections?

Pathetic.

I prefer the truth - honesty, ethics, and acting in the public interest in accordance with the law and regulations.

Not someone who happens to be the boss's cousin making up stories and putting spins out to try and paint a corrupt regime in a good light. Does he really think people will be dumb enough to accept this ? (Apart from your good self of course).

Trouble is, once you lie, get caught, lie again, cheat a little and then claim its all ethical, it's hard to convince anyone of anything.

This is an attempt to make it look like this regime, and its figurehead PM/DM is supported by all these countries - whereas not one country has openly expressed that support. All have chosen words very carefully so as to support democracy and peace whilst not commenting on the regime. Another PTP ham fist attempt at spinning something into positive propaganda.

I prefer the truth - honesty, ethics, and acting in the public interest in accordance with the law and regulations

you mean like having elections and honoring results rather than appointing "good people" without elections?....

Absolutely. Fair elections where people are not only bribed but intimidated and how they vote checked. Then the results should be respected.

However, governments must act truthfully, honestly and ethically - or they deserve to be impeached and loose the right to govern. PTP have rightly called an election just over half way through their term in response to mass protests about their behavior. It's easy to applaud them for that whilst forgetting the reasons behind necessitating it.

Now all parties should fight the election based on a manifesto of policies.

Wonder if any will run on a law and order platform? Extradite Thaksin, arrest Suthep, conclude the investigation of 25k corruption cases. (Wonder how many of these cases involve people who will be standing as a candidate!).

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1