Volvo 740/960

SOMeTOM

Hi,

i see on the second hand market here in Thailand, there are so many of these models for sale and they are also extremely cheap 200-300k or even less.

What would be the main disadvantages of owning one of them here?

Given the amount of them available on the market, it shouldn't be so hard to get some spare parts if needed, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Performance is not an issue, what i do like of these cars is the way they look (apart from the bumpers) and also it feels very comfortable inside, as if sitting in a living's room.

What i am concerned about, is that being those some 20 years or so old cars now, they might just fall apart or get into some high tax/charges from the government.

Many of these have been used as hotel/airport cars, with very heavy mileage (that likely has been turned back). That wouldn't be a problem if you knew that it had good maintenance, but without knowing the car's provenance/maintenance history, it would be a gamble. Lots of them have also been converted to LPG, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your view.

Many of these have been used as hotel/airport cars, with very heavy mileage (that likely has been turned back). That wouldn't be a problem if you knew that it had good maintenance, but without knowing the car's provenance/maintenance history, it would be a gamble. Lots of them have also been converted to LPG, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your view.

Converting to LPG for a Volvo is definitely NOT a bad thing.

One of the testing procedures for Volvo is driving a new model around the world on LPG and petrol.

And driving diesel models around the world on kerosene, on a mix of diesel and LPG, and on CNG

And yes, filling the tanks on local fuel, wherever that might be.

Do remember that LPG keeps the engine oil much cleaner, with well known results for the engine.

I had a 760 V6 for 10 years. I loved it BUT the fuel consumption was abysmal. The 960 was the same engine but 24 valve, not sure if they changed the injection system to improve economy. Parts are VERY expensive, VERY. If these models did not run anti corrosion stuff in the water big problems can occur.

I had a 760 V6 for 10 years. I loved it BUT the fuel consumption was abysmal. The 960 was the same engine but 24 valve, not sure if they changed the injection system to improve economy. Parts are VERY expensive, VERY. If these models did not run anti corrosion stuff in the water big problems can occur.

One of my 7's was a 760 and when the engine died I seriously though about putting a Toyota V8 in, which was half the cost (all up) of rebuilding the Volvo V6!