Would like comments on Maejo............

Thighlander

Just me living out here, never seen any other foreigners around, no white faces at all.

(Not counting the Ag show, but surprisingly few foreigners there either.)

(forgot, the lantern festival had 1,000s of foreigners, but only for 1 evening)

Zero English in the shops and bars either, if you don't speak Thai and can't read the Thai menu, forget it.

Usual songtaw situation 7am to 7pm, 20bht to/from the veggie market in CM.

About 20mins by scooter to the moat.

3BB just started their 30MB internet, the 12Mb is great in the area.

Rimping, Tesco, Sausage King just down the road at Mee Chok Plaza. Central Festival Mall near.

Makro in Mae Rim not far either.

MaeJoe itself.

It's for students, the market/street food is cheap but very poor quality.

The bars, beer is cheap, lots of pretty girls, but it's aimed at male students.

Eating places, zero, Sausage King is the nearest decent place.

Not found anywhere that serves quality Thai food (yet).

Plenty of banks (no English) and ATMs.

Plenty of MooBaans, aimed at Thai middle class.

It's really a rural university town.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Tasty reasonably-priced food at Mama-Mia, on Route-1001 into Chiang Mai, 1 mile South of Mae-Jo.

Baan Suan Salad Mae-Jo for salads at lunchtime.

I personally also quite like Pizza Mania, 400m North of Rimping/Mee-Chok Plaza, and the fish-and-chip place next to Rimping, if I want farang food.

There are farangs around, living in many villages in the area, although one recent-arrival in our village thought he had only one farang neighbour (after a year here) when we met him & introduced him to 4 others within-a-mile. I guess that we just prefer quiet village-life, unlike central-CM or moo-ban dwellers ? Suggest that OP should ask their partner to ask, who's here, in the same village !

Agree with FiftyTwo that it's the students who give Mae-Jo its 'vibe', personally I find the locals friendly, and the revamped Tesco-Lotus Express has expanded local-shopping. The university food-hall is an interesting place to eat, loads of internet-cafes, OK day-market & night food-market in the town.

Thursday-afternoon/evening market at the San-Sai Hospital junction, 3 km North of Mae-Jo, on the R1001 to Phrao & just before the left-turn to Mae-Rim. Also the Cowboy-market in front of the Uni, by the CP-foods shop, Wednesday (and others ?) is limited but popular with the students.

I don't think there are flooding-problems in Mae-Jo itself, but slightly-downhill to the West near the small river, could be ?

We like it here ! smile.png

• Like 2

Up and coming now with more and more places sprouting up... the city'll be out that way soon. Also lots more whiteys nowadays than 10 year ago, when there really were none!

There's a noodle place on the road that does some of the tastiest moo daeng.

/ Localised flooding as with anywhere but higher than town and none from the Ping which is a long way out. The likes of Land & Houses only floods when d*ckheads at Mae Ngat Dam open up the sluices.//

Edited by jackr

Up and coming now with more and more places sprouting up... the city'll be out that way soon. Also lots more whiteys nowadays than 10 year ago, when there really were none!

There's a noodle place on the road that does some of the tastiest moo daeng.

/ Localised flooding as with anywhere but higher than town and none from the Ping which is a long way out. The likes of Land & Houses only floods when d*ckheads at Mae Ngat Dam open up the sluices.//

GPS for the red pork noodle shop please.

Surprised L&H flood, highest land price/house price/moobaan fee in the area, just goes to show, price isn't everything.

• Like 1

Very good Italian restaurant (owner from Pisa)-Mamma Mia, next to the more visible AFM about 1km short of MJ coming from CM, on the left. Maybe 2.5km from the lights at J with 121

Full, of farang the other night-brits, french and german as far as i could tell and probably fairly local-not the sort of pl;ace you would drive to from the city, but great pizza.

Very good Italian restaurant (owner from Pisa)-Mamma Mia, next to the more visible AFM about 1km short of MJ coming from CM, on the left. Maybe 2.5km from the lights at J with 121

Full, of farang the other night-brits, french and german as far as i could tell and probably fairly local-not the sort of pl;ace you would drive to from the city, but great pizza.

Sorry, was thinking of different place.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Love living in the area. Not too far from city but far enough. Quiet and basic necessities while a trip to Riming/Rumchook fullfils most needs without having to go into CM. Fan of Mama Mia and the proprietors. Good enough internet etc while nice small village life. My GF says there's another falang two doors down but I've never seen him. Bit far for my kids to go to a decent school

in town but on the other has they get to come home to a farm with room to run around and play outside. Life is often about compromise and for me Mae Jo is a great one to fulfill my dreams.

• Like 1

Ricardo:

Where is Baan Suan Salad in Mae Joe?

Thanks.

OK, head North out of Mae-Jo on R1001 for about a mile past the day-market, then do a U-turn just before the schools/disabled-home on-the-right, so you're heading South again.

Left off the main-road through the archway (where there is/was a sign for the restaurant), and about 300meters N.East along the soi, then left (just after a small moo-ban) to the restaurant car-park.

It's built over a small pond, so you can feed the fish, with any leftover fried-rice !

Serves mainly salads-with-something, prawns/fish/whatever, they also sell OTOP-stuff.

Perhaps someone else has Google-map co-ordinates ? Sorry I'm not that technical ! smile.png

Edited by Ricardo

It's built over a small pond, so you can feed the fish, with any leftover fried-rice !

And feed mosquitoes with - yourself??!! Seriously, mozzies a problem there? Had dengue earlier this year and want to avoid a re-run.

Ricardo:

Thanks.

OK, head North out of Mae-Jo on R1001 for about a mile past the day-market, then do a U-turn just before the schools/disabled-home on-the-right, so you're heading South again.

Left off the main-road through the archway (where there is/was a sign for the restaurant), and about 300meters N.East along the soi, then left (just after a small moo-ban) to the restaurant car-park.

Serves mainly salads-with-something, prawns/fish/whatever, they also sell OTOP-stuff.

Perhaps someone else has Google-map co-ordinates ? Sorry I'm not that technical ! smile.png

Thanks for the info. One of the places mentioned sounds like the student union at KKU I visited, and had good/cheap eats and hot-hot ladies cutting hair for 70 thb. How would this area compare with Hang Dong? And to the poster that mentioned compromises; you hit the nail on the head. I'm looking at affordable condos, and want one that isn't falling down. After several years in CNX, I think I could be fine only going into town once a week, and could just get a room in town for the night if I didn't want my date to know where I lived. I was checking out MJU online, and it looks like an excellent school, with nice students. I graduated from Uni about 30 years ago, but I would still take a college town over HH ot Pattaya. wai2.gif

Thanks for the info. One of the places mentioned sounds like the student union at KKU I visited, and had good/cheap eats and hot-hot ladies cutting hair for 70 thb. How would this area compare with Hang Dong? And to the poster that mentioned compromises; you hit the nail on the head. I'm looking at affordable condos, and want one that isn't falling down. After several years in CNX, I think I could be fine only going into town once a week, and could just get a room in town for the night if I didn't want my date to know where I lived. I was checking out MJU online, and it looks like an excellent school, with nice students. I graduated from Uni about 30 years ago, but I would still take a college town over HH ot Pattaya. wai2.gif

No condos in MaeJo, more like student dormitory blocks.

It would be noisy surrounded by students.

Find a house.

As for MJU, it's vocational ..... for those too thick to do a real degree (if you consider any Thai degree 'real')

And you can't attend any courses there as their upper age limit for students is 30 years old.

Edited by FiftyTwo

It's an Ag school.....condos are four story building suitable for students or teachers.....advertised on at least two websites...14 km from Super Highway.

You will find that it is not just an Ag school but rather one with a lot of majors offered if you look further.

Mae Jo Mansion opposite Uni to name only one condo in MJ...

They aren't really condos (with standards high enough for western foreigners) as we know them in CM.

They are cheap accommodation aimed at Thai students.

If you are happy with louvre windows, squat toilets and a cold water bucket shower, go for it.

(God, and I thought I was cheap)

Edited by FiftyTwo

Many condos around if you look and lots more bring built. The building that Mama Mia Pizzeria, though a bit out from Mae Jo is a good example of the type of nice buildings one can live in around the area. Hang Dong has airplanes flying low overhear while Mae Jo has more water buffalos.

And feed mosquitoes with - yourself??!! Seriously, mozzies a problem there? Had dengue earlier this year and want to avoid a re-run.

Ricardo:

Thanks.

Perhaps someone else has Google-map co-ordinates ? Sorry I'm not that technical ! smile.png.pagespeed.ce.S_2hMPZPhC.png

One nice thing about Mae-Jo is all the fish-farms, and the fish do tend to eat the mozzies' larvae, but no guarantees about the daytime-flying ones which carry dengue-fever !

Although I do tend to sit downwind of a fan, for preference.

Many condos around if you look and lots more bring built. The building that Mama Mia Pizzeria, though a bit out from Mae Jo is a good example of the type of nice buildings one can live in around the area. Hang Dong has airplanes flying low overhear while Mae Jo has more water buffalos.

lots of condos being built here in the Mae Jo area, dare I say some are asking 4 to 5.9 million Bath which i doubt they will ever get as they are in remote areas no where near the main roads.

It's an Ag school.....condos are four story building suitable for students or teachers.....advertised on at least two websites...14 km from Super Highway.

You will find that it is not just an Ag school but rather one with a lot of majors offered if you look further.

yes lots of majors offered, business, marketing, economics, etc.

Sounds like more farang "outer suburb" interest and some local resident pride! More developments! Terrific! Just like "home!"

As I said life is full of compromises and with more condos means more places to eat etc and land values increase so when it get to be more developed than is to my liking I'll sell and move further out as I am planning to when that time comes.

I went to Baan Suan Salad today but it's closed on the 16th and 17th (which is today) of every month. Will dutifully report back after I taste it out.

Edited by junglechef

Mae Jo Mansion opposite Uni to name only one condo in MJ...

They aren't really condos (with standards high enough for western foreigners) as we know them in CM.

They are cheap accommodation aimed at Thai students.

If you are happy with louvre windows, squat toilets and a cold water bucket shower, go for it.

(God, and I thought I was cheap)

You have clearly never been in Mae Jo Mansion then-unless you saw an empty unrenovated room, and who would want that?

All mod cons on offer inside even though the outer shell (like many) looks tired. I believe some of the 'teachers' live there. And there are newer condos too that dont match your downbeat assessment.

Great thai food at the caddy shack just before MJGC. Need to do some laps in the pool? The best pool in CM is MJU for 30 bht a day. Agree with mama mia for decent italian and i think best pizxa award merited. Cafe dino before rimping across from siam pool is also good. All in all, the growth today of CM seems to be moving this way. 4th ring road has broken ground and talk of a 5th ring road have driven the cost of land to an all time high.

• Like 2