5 Year Driving Licence Renewal Question

tomdfc

A few months down the road bit it's probable that I will be out of the country for some weeks before the expiry date. Should I apply for a renewal before I leave or would I be able to renew on return, on the back of exit / entry stamps in the passport? Don't want to go back to "Go" again and start with the 1 Year Licence. Thks..

Please anyone chip in quickly if I am wrong here.

As I recall you could only get a 5 year licencse AFTER your first year license had expired and not before.

That was certainly the case with my first one in CM. I went down to Dept as I would not be here for three months after expiry and was told no problems come back after, I did, and true enough no problems.

As a side, have said it before and will say it again, the lady who looks after the Farang license is an absolute gem with the patience of a Saint, would that all Thai offices, and even Licensing Centres in Farangland were staffed by such people.

As stated, the 1 year (temporary) to 5 year requires the 1 year license to have expired. Some reports on TV show up to 6 months, perhaps longer after expiration they were able to renew. If it is only a few days or a couple of weeks should have no problem.

On the five year dl the DLT gave me a form that I needed to take to immigration to confirm my extension/visa status. Cost 25 baht plus a new medical form 35 baht and the rest was easy. Nong Khai (and they have always been courteous and kind to me).

I was at the Chiang Mai Driving Licence office last week and I have scanned in and attached the instructions they gave me. Your question is about a 5 year licence, so the second set of instructions apply to you.

The lady at the office said I can renew my 5 year licence up to 90 days before expiry or after expiry (but I don't know how long after).

She explained that the major difference between a 1 year licence and a 5 year licence is that for the former you only need a "tourist stamp" in your passport, for the latter you need a Non-Immigrant visa stamp (e.g. married, retirement, business visa etc).

I will be out of the country when my 5 year licence expires in February, so I will wait to renew when I come back with a fresh visa.

I know sometimes it seems as if Thai officialdom makes it up as they go along, and the forms are not clear, so the above is my understanding of what I was told in Dec 13.

Good luck.

post-185252-0-84666600-1387189255_thumb.

Edited by BenCM

Just bear in mind, you can only renew your temporary 1 year licence to a 5 year if you have the correct Visa.

Any sort of tourist visa including a triple entry is not sufficient for a 5 year licence. You have to go through the whole process again for another temporary 1 year licence.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The OP already has a 5 year licence which he wants to renew to another 5 year licence.

You cannot "renew your temporary 1 year licence to a 5 year". If you renew a 1 year licence you get another 1 year licence.

If you have had a 1 year licence and now want a 5 year licence, you have to apply for a new 5 year licence (different requirements and different paperwork as explained above).

Edited by BenCM

The OP already has a 5 year licence which he wants to renew to another 5 year licence.

You cannot "renew your temporary 1 year licence to a 5 year". If you renew a 1 year licence you get another 1 year licence.

If you have had a 1 year licence and now want a 5 year licence, you have to apply for a new 5 year licence (different requirements and different paperwork as explained above).

Was just giving a bit of advice for others who might think they can get a 5 year after having a 1 year, on a tourist visa.

• 1 month later...

I got my 5 year licence renewed today. It was expired by about 10 months but no one mentioned it. I was able to use my work permit as proof of residence as has been mentioned and with copies of a few pages of my passport and a doctor's certificate all was in order. I had to sit through a 1 hour traffic rules video despite the fact this is my third 5 year licence. The usual colour test and reactions test was also necessary.

I was impressed with how efficient and organised it was and with the video, getting there about half an hour before and getting the licence printed it took about 2 hours in all. They seem to have a few sessions a day so you need to get there at the right time. I got there at 12.30 which was enough time to sort out the paperwork and then join in the 1pm group. I assume that getting there at say 1.30 would mean waiting for the next group at something like 2.30.

You need to have your passport and work permit with you, not just the copies.

I got my 5 year licence renewed today. It was expired by about 10 months but no one mentioned it. I was able to use my work permit as proof of residence as has been mentioned and with copies of a few pages of my passport and a doctor's certificate all was in order. I had to sit through a 1 hour traffic rules video despite the fact this is my third 5 year licence. The usual colour test and reactions test was also necessary.

I was impressed with how efficient and organised it was and with the video, getting there about half an hour before and getting the licence printed it took about 2 hours in all. They seem to have a few sessions a day so you need to get there at the right time. I got there at 12.30 which was enough time to sort out the paperwork and then join in the 1pm group. I assume that getting there at say 1.30 would mean waiting for the next group at something like 2.30.

I was told there are only two sessions. 09:30 and 13:00.

I was told there are only two sessions. 09:30 and 13:00.

You're probably right but I thought I saw a mention of a 2.30 session?? As I said, you need to get there at least half an hour before to queue and sort out the paperwork.

Please anyone chip in quickly if I am wrong here.

As I recall you could only get a 5 year licencse AFTER your first year license had expired and not before.

Not the case with mine... My 1-year expired on the January 24, but I applied for my 5-year on January 20 and got it. However, the issue date is January 25.

Everyone won't have the same experience. I'm not saying everyone can or will get theirs before the previous one expires. But now that we know it has happened, it can be one of the expected outcomes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

Am looking more closely at the "official prerequisites" per the DLT website (as well as forum feedbacks so far) in light of the approaching upcoming expiry date (to renew my existing 5 year driving licence) ... the only question in my mind is the DLT statement about "certification of residential address by embassy or immigration office".

I have a "tabien baan" (the yellow house and resident registration book). Is it too much to think that a certification is not needed with this book? Thanks.