Problems caused by using mobile phones on the internet

DD13

I have noticed that my telephone gets really hot when I am using it with the "Viber" system

I went into Samsung and queried this and was told that phones will heat up when connected to the internet

Can anyone confirm that what they have said is true??

Thanks

True, my Samsung S3 does also, it hasn't ever caused me a problem. I did read on one forum that the phone heating up could indicate a virus/spyware, but I'm not sure this is true

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you

The Samsung heats up because it probably has more computing power than your run of the mill laptop or desktop computer but without the advantage of a cooling fan built in. Not actually to do with being connected to the internet but just working.

I do a lot of work with my Note 2 and it runs hot, no cause for alarm - Normal.

I get it too mate when I'm using skype. I've just received my new battery which the original one lasted only 2 months. I will be careful what charger I'm using from now on plus I won't use it whilst its on charge.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Samsung heats up because it probably has more computing power than your run of the mill laptop or desktop computer but without the advantage of a cooling fan built in. Not actually to do with being connected to the internet but just working.

I do a lot of work with my Note 2 and it runs hot, no cause for alarm - Normal.

Thanks "LennyW"

That gives me some peace of mind....I think that I will start using earphones......

perhaps it is 0ne of the reasons for seeing so many others using them....

Heat is probably the greatest single reason for phone/tablet failures. Do everything you reasonably can to allow cooling and prevent overheating. Keep it out of the sun and not in a pocket against your body or grasped in a sweaty hand. Best to not use the trendy silcon covers too. Wifi makes them hotter than 3G -so if you don't actually use wifi - turn it off and disable it's automatic ON function. By turning off apps you're not using much you can reduce the processors workload too.

Edited by jpinx

Heat is probably the greatest single reason for phone/tablet failures. Do everything you reasonably can to allow cooling and prevent overheating. Keep it out of the sun and not in a pocket against your body or grasped in a sweaty hand. Best to not use the trendy silcon covers too. Wifi makes them hotter than 3G -so if you don't actually use wifi - turn it off and disable it's automatic ON function. By turning off apps you're not using much you can reduce the processors workload too.

All these good tips are very helpful.....

Many thanks

• Like 1

iPhones are notorious for heating up using the internet. I always make sure that all my apps are closed from running in the background. Not sure if Samsung has the same options of closing all the apps that are running in the background but it took me a lot of "YouTubing" to find that out as apple doesnt tell you that.

I'm surprised you feel that 3G would make your phone hotter than WiFi, for me it's the opposite.

And if you would look into it, a 3G radio actually uses much more power than WiFi. In addition most phones today utilize Power Save Mode to lower the energy usage even more for Wifi. So transferring data over WiFi will use less power than over 3G.

Good advice to turn off WiFi when not using it, as scanning for and connection to an Access Point is where WiFi will draw a lot of power.

I'm surprised you feel that 3G would make your phone hotter than WiFi, for me it's the opposite.

And if you would look into it, a 3G radio actually uses much more power than WiFi. In addition most phones today utilize Power Save Mode to lower the energy usage even more for Wifi. So transferring data over WiFi will use less power than over 3G.

Good advice to turn off WiFi when not using it, as scanning for and connection to an Access Point is where WiFi will draw a lot of power.

Maybe you misread what I wrote ;) BTW - Heat is not directly associated with power consumption, probably more related to CPU cycles.

FWIW -- If I am not expecting calls and don't need internet for a while I put the whole device offline -- that's off WIFI *and* off the mobile network. There's a lot of energy used in chasing a network signal when you are travelling. Not a huge problem as any missed calls will be notified when it goes back on the network.

Viber uses more processor resources than most apps. But if phone becoming warm when using heavy apps, its a normal thing.

S3 has more processor power and ram than most netbooks, so no worries.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe you misread what I wrote wink.png BTW - Heat is not directly associated with power consumption, probably more related to CPU cycles.

FWIW -- If I am not expecting calls and don't need internet for a while I put the whole device offline -- that's off WIFI *and* off the mobile network. There's a lot of energy used in chasing a network signal when you are travelling. Not a huge problem as any missed calls will be notified when it goes back on the network.

Don't think I misread your post wink.png

Wifi makes them hotter than 3G -

This was the statement that had me surprised, as to me I’ve experienced the opposite, so unless you have an older phone where the WiFi radio doesn’t have PSM, this doesn’t make sense to me.

BTW generated heat is directly proportional to power consumption, and there should be no significant difference in CPU intensity using WiFi or 3G at similar loads.