Sick of city life, aim to move to phangan/samui and have a few questions :D

Thanks guys, haha. Will just spend a month there and a month in samui and see what suits me best.

Somebody passed me like 10 guesthouse numbers so I will contact them asap!

I don't drink more than 1-2 beers and never buy girls drinks unless it's serious!

Cheers for all the help mates.

Edited by travellea
  • Like 2

Oh just wait and see, you'll get "serious" with nearly all of dem Thai girlies...

[This dude is gonna get fleeced by those Thai girls. (protip: make sure they're real born females or you're gonna get into a trap)]

Young enough to have a great deal of fun doing it though.

• Like 2

Lol. i know how *SOME* (didn't say most, please don't shoot me) Thai women can manipulate us mens, that's why i want to avoid them bar girls or fake interested, lol, unless she's not interested in my pocket. some thais are gorgeous, but i still prefer swedish and dutch all in all :D

Lol. i know how *SOME* (didn't say most, please don't shoot me) Thai women can manipulate us mens, that's why i want to avoid them bar girls or fake interested, lol, unless she's not interested in my pocket. some thais are gorgeous, but i still prefer swedish and dutch all in all biggrin.png

You always pay in the end. The only real choice you have is payment method.... HP or COD Sir?

• Like 2

Hey by the way if anyone will be around in Jan-Feb and need a wingman i'd love to hang out together!

Did you try that thing called google with the keywords Sunset beach hadd[sic] rin? (Remove that [sic] because I actually just copied what you wrote into google to try myself and many wonderful numbers I found..)

You can almost get to the other side of KPG within 10-15 mins ride, it's not that big island.

Of course there's "normal" internet connection, what's in your mind is an "abnormal internet connection"?

Ever since I was 16 or so, my mom actually had nothing whatsoever to say where I can or cannot go....

It's probably best you come and experience things here yourself. Judging from what you've written so far, your impressions of how things are here are not quite right.

My advice is that you better not book and pay in advance for such a long time. Just tell where you're staying that you're not sure how long you're gonna stay. This way you can move when you realize things aren't really what you expected it to be, which I'm pretty sure you will.

Yes i did actually, but as someone mentioned on this thread most of them aren't on the internet. I managed to get around 10 guesthouse numbers and currently try to find one for 15k/month

I don't fussy about the internet speed, just curious if the connection there is reliable or there might be like 2-3 days internet down and what is the alternative in such case (coffeeshops, etc)

You're right for sure, i have no idea how it feels to live on an island since i lived in city all my life, but I hope to like it.

For sure, I don't want to pay for 6 mo for example. Will first come over, see the place and if it seems nice I'll pay for the month.

Edited by travellea

Hey by the way if anyone will be around in Jan-Feb and need a wingman i'd love to hang out together!

Somehow I doubt there will be any takers.

Back on topic. Both myself and Rooo have suggested you obtain a tourist visa in your home country. I strongly suggest you do just that because getting one in the region is a lot of hassle and can be costly because pretty much you have no other option other than to do it in person. If you get one in your home country then you just have to pop your passport in the post.

• Like 1

Somehow I doubt there will be any takers.

Back on topic. Both myself and Rooo have suggested you obtain a tourist visa in your home country. I strongly suggest you do just that because getting one in the region is a lot of hassle and can be costly because pretty much you have no other option other than to do it in person. If you get one in your home country then you just have to pop your passport in the post.

Of course I will. Visa, Insurance and vaccines.

I don't fussy about the internet speed, just curious if the connection there is reliable or there might be like 2-3 days internet down and what is the alternative in such case (coffeeshops, etc)

Net access is very good I have found and virtually everyone you meet has a smartphone in order to upload a picture of what they are about to consume to FB.

you can also quit internet completely and stay on a beach in a simple hut, spent the days on the beach and in tropical waters and do nothing more.

I am a poor man, a fisherman. I eat the fish and the goat. I live naked, just as how you see me.

Countryman (1982) is an independent action/adventure film directed by Dickie Jobson. It tells the story of a Jamaican fisherman whose solitude is shattered when he rescues two Americans from the wreckage of a plane crash. The fisherman, called Countryman, is hurled into a political plot by the dangerous Colonel Sinclair. Countryman uses his knowledge of the terrain and his innate combat skills to survive.

The film was shot in Jamaica and featured a reggae soundtrack performed by Bob Marley & the Wailers. It has become a cult classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countryman_(film)

you can also quit internet completely and stay on a beach in a simple hut, spent the days on the beach and in tropical waters and do nothing more.

Well he could just get a simple hut with bed and toilet shower!.... and still some half decent ones around at 300 baht a night... 9000 baht a month...(not Haad Rin or Chawang though) .... & food and drink never far way!

And have the internet too.... so many places around never far to go!!! .... as stated already wifi is much better than a year or two back on both Samui and KP!

Whilst sitting on the beach... watch for falling coconuts... whistling.gif .... bonk! facepalm.gif

It's hard for anyone to really imagine what it is really like, until you get here and check things out with ones own eyes!! blink.png .... you see many things you're not used to seeing in the west... just adjust to it and you'll be fine ! thumbsup.gif

Oh and watch out for hookers! tongue.png

SAM_1086.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Excellent advice.

This would be one of the better ways for any traveller to discover himself and personal potential - without the usual life distractions and personal baggage that one may inadvertently bring along in his quest to get away from it all. Otherwise, you'll likely be bored with yourself after a short stay in busier places like Haad Rin, and will look for a way out of this familiar feeling by moving on to a new beach/island.

Another way to reset that "city/home" feeling and open the mind to a new environment, is with a 7-day meditation retreat - something worth considering to get the best out of your travels. And as a bonus, you'll get to meet some quality fellow travellers there and possibly make good friends for life.

• Like 2

Hopefully things will work out. Wonderful advices here. I do meditate on daily basis

What I don't like in where I live is the distance between people, the cold weather, you gotta spend much in order to get to the nice places, dress to impress etc. it's hard to open and everyone skeptical and protects themselves, sometimes me as well. When I've been to a vacation place in Anatalia in Turkey for example it felt COMPLETELY different atmosphere - people are on the beach, hanging around making friends smiling and socializing. And it's likely to hook up with a beautiful tourist. I hope it would be somehow similar in koh phangan so I can get along with people easily, as people on vacation are way more opener.

My aim isn't to isolate myself from everyone, just the opposite. I wish I could quit my job and have just enough money to go without my laptop but it's impossible at this point

I assume also the value one get for the buck in Thailand is greater than in Europe.

I will book a place for 5 nights in sunset beach, will walk over the area and ask for a room for a month to get a good deal.

No, it's obviously not like that. Parts of Chaweng is almost looking like that Phuket pic. The Koh Phangan party pic looks like that for 1 full moon party night only. On other nights it pretty much looks like that Koh Samui pic...

There are of course still pristine beaches on all of the islands if you know where.