Lost my African grey parrot.

Hawk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a run of bad luck there.

Why only 2 or 3,000 baht?

If it was my bird, I'd offer 20,000 baht to try and get it back.

One of my favorite quotes from Billy Madison that feels relevant to your situation.

Billy Madison: [to Miss Lippy] Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f____g dog.

Actually I have been out there looking nearly everyday for the past two months, even when it was raining, and the days I didn't search was because of ill health.

Well, why don't you offer here and now a BIG reward for it's return?

There are a lot of members in your area with Thai connections and they can spread the word quickly.

Just make a commitment now and anyone who has any luck can pm you

Perhaps you didn't read the bit where I mentioned financial hardship due to someone "stealing" nearly everything I ever possessed including my business.

But I will promise the finder B3,000 so is that okay?

There are at least 4 stores that sell birds, including parrots, at Kamtiang Market, there is a Tesco there. The market is behind Tesco, mostly sells plants but you can find an area inside which is mostly pet things, food, cages, birds, ....there are quite a lot of birds there, mostly expensive good ones.

You should check there for sure!

One of my favorite quotes from Billy Madison that feels relevant to your situation.

Billy Madison: [to Miss Lippy] Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f____g dog.

Actually I have been out there looking nearly everyday for the past two months, even when it was raining, and the days I didn't search was because of ill health.

There are a lot of members in your area with Thai connections and they can spread the word quickly.

Perhaps you didn't read the bit where I mentioned financial hardship due to someone "stealing" nearly everything I ever possessed including my business.

It's OK by me....it's your bird.

You know how this forum works, a lot of people get helped. Why wait 2 months to post it on here?

You might have had a better chance if you had put something up ASAP

But anyway, good luck I really hope you find it.smile.png

It's OK by me....it's your bird.

You know how this forum works, a lot of people get helped. Why wait 2 months to post it on here?

You might have had a better chance if you had put something up ASAP

But anyway, good luck I really hope you find it.smile.png

I thought by going out there and talking to the locals everyday would sooner or later achieve the desired goal of getting Bird back but I was wrong, so this forum is my last hope now. Thank you but I think I need a miracle to happen now.

Hi Mr Hawk, maybe you should not have bothered posting on here,

you were just leaving yourself open to abuse by some of the posters

here,some who seem to revel in the plight of others,never offer a good

word,only snide remarks.

Things don't look good for you ever finding your parrot again,but don't

give up hope,and I at least hope whoever has found him looks after him

well.

regards Worgeordie

There are at least 4 stores that sell birds, including parrots, at Kamtiang Market, there is a Tesco there. The market is behind Tesco, mostly sells plants but you can find an area inside which is mostly pet things, food, cages, birds, ....there are quite a lot of birds there, mostly expensive good ones.

I never knew about this before as I always thought it was just a flower market, will certainly check it today. Thank you.

word,only snide remarks.

well.

regards Worgeordie

Of course you are right but posting here was an act of desperation, a last resort. Thank you.

word,only snide remarks.

well.

regards Worgeordie

Of course you are right but posting here was an act of desperation, a last resort. Thank you.

I think that's a bit unfair.

Despite whatever answers you may get, I believe there are lots of people who will post nothing but keep their eyes and ears open and spread the word via their Thai partner. I have never considered asking for help on here an act of desperation and have received a lot of help over the years. Some comes by way of a post and a lot comes by pm.

Describing the forum as a last resort and act of desperation won't increase your chances of help.

Continued good wishes to find the bird.

Isn't there also caged animals in the motorbike parking area in Kad Suan Kaew? Not sure about birds.

I will certainly keep my eye out when in those areas and will not require a reward if found. smile.png

/Can members post their number? I'm not up on forum rules.//

Edited by jackr

word,only snide remarks.

well.

regards Worgeordie

I think that's a bit unfair.

Despite whatever answers you may get, I believe there are lots of people who will post nothing but keep their eyes and ears open and spread the word via their Thai partner. I have never considered asking for help on here an act of desperation and have received a lot of help over the years. Some comes by way of a post and a lot comes by pm.

Describing the forum as a last resort and act of desperation won't increase your chances of help.

Continued good wishes to find the bird.

You have misunderstood my meaning, I tried to find Bird alone by going out there everyday but I failed, so posting on here is my last chance, a long shot. So I meant no disrespect at all. Thank you.

I found the shops and one shop had an African grey but it wasn't mine. The poor bird was scared to death and its right side wing was badly damaged, feathers had been clipped by its former owner but badly done. In another shop they had a big green parrot who said nothing but was fascinated with me for some reason, not afraid at all. I felt upset seeing all those birds, all very depressing.

Hi Hawk,

Well I am happy that I was able to tell you about a bird area, you didn't already know. Also glad you went today. I think that bird is always there, and the owners keep him/her for breeding but not sure. Usually they wil say the brids are there being "boarded" and not for sale. But they always seem to have some defect.

Anyway, at least you know where all the main bird market are now. I wish you success in finding your sweet Grey. I used to have one of those also. Great Birds!

Give it up Brother. You're not going to find your parrot. Either he was killed by a predator, or he is now part of a happy, laughing, Thai family.

Accept that fact and stop whining like a spoiled child.

You sound like you are having a miserable time of it here. Wouldn't it make more sense to relocate to a country where you have some degree of liking and respect for the people you are living among?

Clueless farangs always get shafted in Thailand... sooner or later.

Give it up Brother. You're not going to find your parrot. Either he was killed by a predator, or he is now part of a happy, laughing, Thai family.

You sound like you are having a miserable time of it here. Wouldn't it make more sense to relocate to a country where you have some degree of liking and respect for the people you are living among?

I am not a person to give up easily you clueless ass****, so nothings finished until its ended. Yes times are very hard at the moment, this I admit but when I come into contact with big mouthed creeps like you my respect for the human race takes a sharp downturn wherever I maybe living. So if you have nothing sensible to say then just go and annoy someone else, as you will get yours sooner or later "brother", its just a matter of time. Will you be laughing then?

What should have been done here in the first place is to put up a reward the same week the parrot escaped. Minimum 10000 baht. Most likely your parrot was captured and sold within a week.

Now your chances are slim.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What should have been done here in the first place is to put up a reward the same week the parrot escaped. Minimum 10000 baht. Most likely your parrot was captured and sold within a week. Now your chances are slim. Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes indeed, speed is of the essence when trying to get anything back.

I do fear the worst, but hope for the best......you never know.

What should have been done here in the first place is to put up a reward the same week the parrot escaped. Minimum 10000 baht. Most likely your parrot was captured and sold within a week.Now your chances are slim.Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are right but I thought that the bird had only flown a short distance so I went around the neighborhood asking, and then days turned into weeks, and now I'm here. I didn't have the luxury of hindsight at the very beginning, so I choose a path that went nowhere, a huge error. But Bird is not dead, still in Chiangmai, and around Pa Tan/San Pee Suah area.

What should have been done here in the first place is to put up a reward the same week the parrot escaped. Minimum 10000 baht. Most likely your parrot was captured and sold within a week. Now your chances are slim. Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes indeed, speed is of the essence when trying to get anything back.

I do fear the worst, but hope for the best......you never know.

I was out searching immediately, going house to house, searched the school, crematorium, the government building, then the scrubland opposite, then each day I expanded my search. Then I went to all the houses and resort on the other side of the river, the school, all the temples etc, even asked the local postman for help but nothing, and I still go looking, hoping to catch someone showing my bird off to others, hoping to hear his voice as he would scream and whistle when he heard the sound of my bike.

I know this is off topic but I was physically robbed, and there were more than just the one person involved in the crime, I had already been attacked by the guy and the promise was of worst to come , with the certainty that the cops would also be involved and I would be put in jail, that I would be framed for a crime as he had enough paid witnesses(3 that I knew of) to support his lies. This is very different from being cheated(shafted) as you suggested. His plan was to have me jailed for some imaginery crime, and left in jail to rot. If one says guilty then one does some time and is blacklisted, but if one says not guilty then one simply rots in jail, both ways he would have won.

But his plan didn't work as I caught wind of what he was up to and escaped by the skin of my teeth to fight another day but on my terms next time. So not so clueless as you suggested "bother".

Being animal lovers, we've been following this thread with interest. At the present time we don't have birds, but we can sympathize with you on losing yours.

We have two pure-bred Persian cats, and our neighbours are always warning us to be careful of kamoys. The lady who raises Persians, and who lives down the soi from us, has had two disappear - possibly stolen.

Does your grey parrot have a name that he answers to? If so, calling him by it might help if someone does see him, either in the wild or in captivity. Just a thought.

Good luck in finding your parrot.

Being animal lovers, we've been following this thread with interest. At the present time we don't have birds, but we can sympathize with you on losing yours.

We have two pure-bred Persian cats, and our neighbours are always warning us to be careful of kamoys. The lady who raises Persians, and who lives down the soi from us, has had two disappear - possibly stolen.

Does your grey parrot have a name that he answers to? If so, calling him by it might help if someone does see him, either in the wild or in captivity. Just a thought.

Good luck in finding your parrot.

Over the years I have taken in and looked after about 35 stray dogs, when the last few died of natural causes then the cats came, and at last count I was housing and feeding 12, now I can't get near them because of my enemy.

Bird found me over 8 years ago and we been together all that time, he was great, never rude, never sarcastic, never critized me and never lied to me. I called him Cuckoo but he seemed to think it was my name, perhaps it was my name after all.

Edited by Hawk

I am so sorry for your lost. I have the same parrot and has been with us for a wonderful six years.

He is part of the family and placed himself among our 14 cats and 6 dogs. My parrot were lost twice and managed to come back by himself.

Please keep searching and don't hesitate to ask help with your neighbor. Offering reward is a good option and another option are:

1. Ask chief of village to announce and ask help by village announcer/loudspeaker. In return you may offer reward or do merit/"tambon" to the nearest temple.

2. Ask help from radio stations.

I hope you will find your beloved parrot soon, it's cold season now and grey African parrot is quite sensitive with cold.

Good luck!

I applaud your efforts.

I really do hope you find your Parrot.

Can't imagine losing one of my pets.

Good luck Hawk. Really.

When they die its hard but at least one knows where they are, its the not knowing that's the problem. Thank you.

He's MIA and in enemy territory but that's no excuse to leave him behind, so I cannot quit the search as I know he's waiting for me to come find him. And to deaconjohn who said I was like a "spoiled child", you are right, Bird spoilt me with his trust and affection, he was just a fantastic companion, and so if that makes me childlike in yours eyes deaconjohn, then so be it, I loved being the child again.

I am so sorry for your lost. I have the same parrot and has been with us for a wonderful six years.He is part of the family and placed himself among our 14 cats and 6 dogs. My parrot were lost twice and managed to come back by himself. Please keep searching and don't hesitate to ask help with your neighbor. Offering reward is a good option and another option are:1. Ask chief of village to announce and ask help by village announcer/loudspeaker. In return you may offer reward or do merit/"tambon" to the nearest temple. 2. Ask help from radio stations.I hope you will find your beloved parrot soon, it's cold season now and grey African parrot is quite sensitive with cold. Good luck!

I live in the city and therefore quite some distance from where we got separated, and some of the locals out there were not very helpful at all, some told me "its only a bird forget it, go and buy another one".

Thank you for your good wishes.