Departing Bangkok with an overstay of 4 years - advice please.

A good friend of mine has for reasons that don't need to be explained here is facing departing Bangkok with a 4 year overstay on his visa.

He and I have both heard conflicting opinions on what the deal is.

Will he be ok to go to the airport with his ticket and the 20,000 baht maximum overstay fine and sort it out with the immigration people as used to be the case or does he face possible complications - blacklisting, detainment etc?

I am pretty sure a valid ticket out, the 20k bung and a contrite attitude with the immigration guys will be fine, but we want to know for sure.

Threads on this forum particularly those regarding thai legal and governmental matters tend to consist of a fair question followed by some if the regular re liable guys who know what they are talking about providing good information, and then endless half-cocked, second hand anecdotal nonsense from the peanut gallery that clouds the issue and leaves the OP almost non the wiser.

We know that there was a change to the existing laws in around 2010 which threatened detentions and additional fines and blacklisting, but i have left with a 4 month overstay since then and i have not heard of anyone being detained and so on at the airport.

If anyone has any concrete facts that they can report regarding the enforcement of the laws or recent stories of people exiting the country with similar overstays will they will be gratefully received.

Anyone with pub anecdotes or unverified stuff please keep it to yourselves.

4 years is taking the urine, it is clearly stated that overstays are a criminal offence, last time I looked it was a fine and/or jail, but I am legally in Thailand so do not often check these things. Therefore it is at the discretion of the officer.

The fine is 500 baht per day up to a max of 20k baht. The immigration act does not mention any imprisonment for overstay.

Those that are put into detention are caught with overstay and don't have the money to pay the fine and a flight out of the country.

• Like 2

A guy I knew that had a business here some years ago, overstayed by 7 years. He paid someone at the Airport B24,000 to smuggle him through immigration wearing a Thai Airways stewards uniform. When he arrived in the UK he sold his "Oh how clever I am" story to the UK Daily Mail. Most Ex-Pats here were thinking how stupid he was when the maximum fine was a lot less, and if he had got caught skipping immigration he could have ended up in jail.

A guy I knew that had a business here some years ago, overstayed by 7 years. He paid someone at the Airport B24,000 to smuggle him through immigration wearing a Thai Airways stewards uniform. When he arrived in the UK he sold his "Oh how clever I am" story to the UK Daily Mail. Most Ex-Pats here were thinking how stupid he was when the maximum fine was a lot less, and if he had got caught skipping immigration he could have ended up in jail.

How much did he get paid?

Must be a fortune to be earned from stories on ThaiVisa that could go to print........

My friend left with a four year overstay and is now backin Thailand.

You need to allow a lot of time so best arrive to the airport early. His situation seemed very touch and go and he brought a lot of paperwork with him outlining his income and the reason he had stayed in Thailand. Immigration seemed to be very interested in how he was earning the income that allowed him to stay in Thailand. That appeared to be their main interest.

I would be very polite and have a sad story on why you have overstayed so long. One particular officer was hell bent on holding him whereas another showed more sympathy. He had a real sad story about an injury and having the obligation of supporting a child that was not his.

His opinion was that immigration had become sick of people wasting their time at the airport and as such were keen to detain people without a valid excuse.

"... B24,000 to smuggle him through immigration wearing a Thai Airways stewards uniform."

I'm trying to picture any farangs I've seen trying to pull off masquerading as a Thai Airways stewardess and not being spotted at 100 metres. Who produced the uniform... Omar the tent maker? I suppose he never considered masquerading as a steward? Got a link to the Daily Mail story? Sounds like a very large pile of steaming ...

All we need is a few more threads like this one for the authorities to read through and Immigrations check points will start to pop up everywhere ... maybe a whole new sub-industry. And of course all Thai Airways' stewardesses will probably undergo closer scrutiny than before.

If it does come to that, please remember who to blame.

His opinion was that immigration had become sick of people wasting their time at the airport and as such were keen to detain people without a valid excuse.

"... without a valid excuse."

Amazing. It's all their fault. Mind boggling, just when you think your mind is all boggled out here at the hub of inane thinking.

Edited by Suradit69

Why would anyone overstay four years?

It can be number of reasons.

I overstayed myself a few years ago, I just couldn`t afford the visa run after a while. And no, I don`t drink or smoke, and I do not spend my time in bars. My income was cut in half, and I was trying to keep it together for my wife. Bad judgement got the better of me.

I made a promise to myself then, after sorting it out, that it would never happen again.

But several years later, today, I am in an even worse mess. A nasty breakup with my thai wife, has left me completely dry. My life savings is gone, and I am living day by day, barely surviving. Without any possibilities to borrow my way home (believe me, I have tried). And without family left, things are looking bad.

I am not out after any sympathy for myself, I guess I will be condemned by most of you for my second overstay here. The days have just run away from me, and today I have no chance getting back home, with a too long overstay.

Trusting her has taken everything away from me, and has left me pennyless.

My love for my wife was real, she was not a bar lady, but a hard working, real lady. That is why I trusted her.

My meaning is, we have all our reasons for doing what we do, and some og us don`t see it coming before we stand in the middle of something like this.

If the man in question here has a 4 years overstay, I am sure he has a reason for it. Or at least I will give him the benefit of doubt, and not judge him.

You need to seek help from your Embassy /----------------soon

My friend left with a four year overstay and is now backin Thailand.

You need to allow a lot of time so best arrive to the airport early. His situation seemed very touch and go and he brought a lot of paperwork with him outlining his income and the reason he had stayed in Thailand. Immigration seemed to be very interested in how he was earning the income that allowed him to stay in Thailand. That appeared to be their main interest.

I would be very polite and have a sad story on why you have overstayed so long. One particular officer was hell bent on holding him whereas another showed more sympathy. He had a real sad story about an injury and having the obligation of supporting a child that was not his.

There is something called to much information.

Just pay the fine. No reason to show anything other than your passport.

Also known as "hole digging" once dug difficult to get out of ! smile.png

Why would anyone overstay four years?

It can be number of reasons.

I overstayed myself a few years ago, I just couldn`t afford the visa run after a while. And no, I don`t drink or smoke, and I do not spend my time in bars. My income was cut in half, and I was trying to keep it together for my wife. Bad judgement got the better of me.

I made a promise to myself then, after sorting it out, that it would never happen again.

But several years later, today, I am in an even worse mess. A nasty breakup with my thai wife, has left me completely dry. My life savings is gone, and I am living day by day, barely surviving. Without any possibilities to borrow my way home (believe me, I have tried). And without family left, things are looking bad.

I am not out after any sympathy for myself, I guess I will be condemned by most of you for my second overstay here. The days have just run away from me, and today I have no chance getting back home, with a too long overstay.

Trusting her has taken everything away from me, and has left me pennyless.

My love for my wife was real, she was not a bar lady, but a hard working, real lady. That is why I trusted her.

My meaning is, we have all our reasons for doing what we do, and some og us don`t see it coming before we stand in the middle of something like this.

If the man in question here has a 4 years overstay, I am sure he has a reason for it. Or at least I will give him the benefit of doubt, and not judge him.

You need to seek help from your Embassy /----------------soon

They have been helpful supporting me with advice. However, they don`t help with tickets or money, but has offered to go trough the immigration at the airport together with me, when that day comes, so I won`t have any problems coming through.

And they offer to contact my preferred people back home., but I don`t have any, sad to say.

Their policy is to assist you, but not actually help you economically.

Then they are not much help to me, as I can`t come up with any solution myself.

But let`s not make this about me, I was only putting my head out to show that the 4 years overstay in question may have reasons we shouldn`t judge.

"... B24,000 to smuggle him through immigration wearing a Thai Airways stewards uniform."

I'm trying to picture any farangs I've seen trying to pull off masquerading as a Thai Airways stewardess and not being spotted at 100 metres. Who produced the uniform... Omar the tent maker? I suppose he never considered masquerading as a steward? Got a link to the Daily Mail story? Sounds like a very large pile of steaming ...

Yes. Another problem with this tale is that THAI airways crew don't use the passenger terminal at all. They check in for flights at another building several km's away and are bussed directly to the aircraft.

• Like 1