Facebook is tracking what you don’t do on Facebook

Maestro

Facebook is tracking what you don’t do on Facebook

"Self-censorship" is a problem the company is eager to solve.

by Casey Johnston - Dec 16 2013, 7:40pm RST

Facebook released a study (PDF) last week indicating that the company is moving into a new type of data collection in earnest: the things we do not say. For an analysis of self-censorship, two researchers at Facebook collected information on all of the statuses that five million users wrote out but did not post during the summer of 2012.

Facebook is not shy about the information it collects on its users. Certain phrasings in its data use policy have indicated before that it may be collecting information about what doesn’t happen, like friend requests that are never accepted. Capturing the failures of Facebook interactions would, in theory, allow the company to figure out how to mitigate them and turn them into “successes.”

Read more: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/12/facebook-collects-conducts-research-on-status-updates-you-never-post/

-- ars technica 2013-12-16

Thanks for the OP ...

But, I must say, one more reason why I don't have a FaceBook Account.

Good on you David, I have one but not used it for two years. I can't figure out how to delete the damn thing!

And you misspelt Farcebook. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for the OP ...

Good on you David, I have one but not used it for two years. I can't figure out how to delete the dam_n thing!

And you misspelt Farcebook. whistling.gif width=19 alt=whistling.gif>

I totally deleted my FaceButt account about 3 years ago; one of the smarter things I've ever done. It is a bit of a chore to delete an account, at least it was 3 years ago; it took several steps and even after you have completed all the steps, FaceButt doesn't complete the account deletion for something like 14 days, supposedly in case you change your mind. I don't remember exactly what the steps were then, but I do remember that finding the correct menus and screens to get to total account deletion is not at all obvious or user-friendly. FaceButt does not like people leaving them; they're like an infected ingrown toenail that won't go away.

Edited by maxman71

I have a buttbook account but under a false name with no pictures. Occasionally there is something I want to log in and read. I also have my browser set to delete all cookies when closed, and I run CCleaner every day.

LastPass and my bookmark bar help me to get logged back into my commonly used sites without hassle.

I also spoof my IP. But I'm not paranoid. tongue.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the OP ...

Good on you David, I have one but not used it for two years. I can't figure out how to delete the dam_n thing!

And you misspelt Farcebook. 19x18xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.RBppOEA width=19 alt=whistling.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3700464609>

VDO: How To Delete Your Facebook Account Permanently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUlr5vtM0s

Now there is a shocker.. Facebook is tracking your activities...and why do you think they get their

revenues from? from tracking your online habits and using it to their, and cohorts, advantage

in advertising.... there is no free lunch my friend....

• Like 1

Now there is a shocker.. Facebook is tracking your activities...and why do you think they get their

revenues from? from tracking your online habits and using it to their, and cohorts, advantage

in advertising.... there is no free lunch my friend....

This is just business. I'm curious as to what everybody on here is doing that requires them to be so paranoid. Targeted advertising doesn't make you buy.