Is Chiang Mai growing too fast?

smurph

Maya may be convenient, but I imagine that if I lived on the west side of Hillside 4, I'd feel as if I were in an old B-movie about some guy moving into a $2-a-night flop house, with a neon sign flashing on and off projecting a garish light show into my windows at night. I live further away down Huay Kaew but can see Maya's big screen tv flashing at night when we go out into the hall to take the elevator. I feel sorry for all the people who will be subjected to this lighting every night. It might be nice if they projected a good movie or music video, but it seems to be just advertising. Hmmm.... maybe not a old B-movie but the beginning of 'Blade Runner.' Is that where Chiang Mai is headed?

I think they will probably have time limits on when the screens can be playing.

That is probably something that residents can complain about and get limits.

People don't like change but the challenge is to channel it into positive energy.

The roads here are so darn dangerous that I look at the congestion as a benefit. Slows drivers down and keeps me off the roads and potentially the hospital.

As noted in other threads Thailand has become one of the worlds most dangerous/fatal road systems.

http://roadskillmap.com/

Yep, way too fast, but the stupid gov tax incentive on cars has made it what it is regard the traffic now.

Everyone knows what it needs; the removal of the airport and an actual ring road with underpasses right around. Subway goes without saying, along with restriction of songthaews and tuk-tuks around the moat, Thapae and Chiang Moi areas (but keep the essential radials).

The current airport has a plenty long enough runway for the Triple 7, 747 and even the A380; it is all down to the baggage system, demand and other logistics that there are no long hauls. But it absolutely must go to the environs, along with the freakin' RTAF Wing41 camp (yes, I mentioned it again!)... that anachronism and waste of space just does not belong in a city of Chiang Mai's stature in the 21st century. Bung it out in S'Kampaheng along with the new airport.

And yes, KSK mall is a another ugly monstrosity that must go. Anyone who thinks it's cute and functional is away with the fairies. It needs flattening and turning into greenbelt to offset the burgeoning concrete in that area.

There's no stopping growth, though, and the likes of the sadly dwindling Promenada mall is stunning, though lets have some planning or CM will just keep on expanding and have no substance with all these samey-looking boxes with slats on. In 10 years, they will look naff.

Maya may be convenient, but I imagine that if I lived on the west side of Hillside 4, I'd feel as if I were in an old B-movie about some guy moving into a $2-a-night flop house, with a neon sign flashing on and off projecting a garish light show into my windows at night. I live further away down Huay Kaew but can see Maya's big screen tv flashing at night when we go out into the hall to take the elevator. I feel sorry for all the people who will be subjected to this lighting every night. It might be nice if they projected a good movie or music video, but it seems to be just advertising. Hmmm.... maybe not a old B-movie but the beginning of 'Blade Runner.' Is that where Chiang Mai is headed?

People don't like change but the challenge is to channel it into positive energy.

The roads here are so darn dangerous that I look at the congestion as a benefit. Slows drivers down and keeps me off the roads and potentially the hospital.

As noted in other threads Thailand has become one of the worlds most dangerous/fatal road systems.

i have noticed that they have removed a couple of the big screens around town. maybe the rate of accidents increased and people with influence were able to get them taken down.

"People don't like change but the challenge is to channel it into positive energy." yes you are right about that. we are trying to tweak our attitude but it is difficult. in the last week alone i believe we have spent 2.3K Baths on gasoline trying to get from one place to another. how many hours have we sat in gridlock traffic? don't know, didn't count. never thought it would get to that.

Speaking of the big screens..... In the last couple of nights I noticed a new one in operation on the opposite side of the Middle Ring Road from Big C at the end of the runway. I mentioned this to one of the people cleaning our car this morning and he said it is too bright. It is bright compared to what was there before for sure. It caught my attention immediately. I think the corner is occupied by the police booth and behind that is Chill Park.

Maybe it is one that was taken down somewhere else.

i have noticed that they have removed a couple of the big screens around town. maybe the rate of accidents increased and people with influence were able to get them taken down.

"People don't like change but the challenge is to channel it into positive energy." yes you are right about that. we are trying to tweak our attitude but it is difficult. in the last week alone i believe we have spent 2.3K Baths on gasoline trying to get from one place to another. how many hours have we sat in gridlock traffic? don't know, didn't count. never thought it would get to that.

If you have an android phone, look for an app called Indrive. It uses the GPS and tells you how far you've travelled, your average speed while in motion, and the amount of time spent motionless.

Quite revealing!