Call for bold Thai tourism reform

webfact

Call for bold tourism reform
BAMRUNG AMNATCHAROENRIT
THE NATION

30222430-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TOURISM OPERATORS should make a bold move to reform the industry if they want to sustain its development in the long term and also help boost the country's tourism revenue, Charoen Wangananont, honorary secretary-general of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), has suggested.

One of the necessary reforms is to fight against rampant corruption, which he said was a serious issue that had damaged the sector for a long time, with the country having lost billions of baht to state employees and politicians.

Then, the reform should focus on transparency, and a rechecking system should also be created, he said.

In addition, a new structure would be put in place to highlight the environment and tourists' safety, which would have to go along with tourism growth, he said.

He hopes that what he is planning to do will help save money, and that the amount can then be returned to the sector for the development of important projects.

Charoen said the initiative would be implemented next year by tourism operators. The means of carrying out the objectives will be discussed and tourism associations will act as hosts in establishing teamwork to push ahead with the various ideas.

They would also have to work with the government in order to tackle the problems facing the sector.

The idea behind the initiative has been sparked by the current political situation, said ATTA honorary chief, who considers that the industry should be improved in much the same way as the drive to reform the country's politics.

Charoen himself is a political activist.

As to the tourism outlook, he said travel agents remained optimistic about next year's business, as the political tension has to date had only a marginal impact on the industry.

As long as the political reform efforts do not lead to violence or airport closures, the outlook for travel agents remains good, he said, adding that next year, the number of travellers using agents' services is projected to grow 10-15 per cent from the more than 4 million estimated for this year.

Although politics is currently the only major risk factor for the coming year, House dissolution has not hurt the industry much, because more than 80 per cent of the sector's economic activities are run by the private sector, he said.

Travellers from China, Japan, South Korea and India are among the key markets next year for Thai tourism.

The country's overall tourism prospects are good too, with projected growth of 15 per cent next year, he said.

Secondary airports in the provinces are key to boosting tourist numbers, thanks to the facilities they offer to serve the growing number of flights from abroad. Also, Europe is on the recovery path, he added.

By the end of this year, more than 10 million tourists will have flown to Phuket, more than 4 million to Samui, over 2 million to Krabi, and more than a million to Chiang Mai.

The number of Japanese travellers will be on the rise as well, due to the launch of city-to-city tourism promotion between the two nations.

Hokkaido and Sendai are among the Japanese cities participating in the promotion.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-19

• Like 1

"Hokkaido and Sendai are among the Japanese cities participating in the promotion"

Sapporo the largest city in Hokkaido = 1.9 million population, Sendai the largest city in Tohoku (Northeast) = 1.0 million population,

I don't think much could be achieved in terms of the city to city promotion.

Thank goodness, some long term thinking. I am hopeful that Thailand can and will protect it's wild areas and natural environs.

I applaud your optimism ...Personally I am fearful that Thailand will do it's best to exploit and ruin it's wild areas and natural environs.

It is really very simple.

Get rid off the illegal airport-touts, the illegal taxis and the jetski-scammers for starters!coffee1.gif

Then clean up the beaches, make sure that the drivers of the valuable tourist-cargo are not drunk and/or high. Bring the railroad network into this century. Stop doublepricing!!bah.gif

And teach the hookers, that a car and/or a house, is not part of the deal!!

With those simple measures, the tourism will have a bright future in Thailand.

• Like 1

How about just picking the garbage off the beaches for a starter! Naaa, that would be too easy, and people would get their hands dirty. Maybe just wait for ASEAN, and then let the Cambodians clean the beaches, after that, can clean the streets and empty lots.

It is really very simple.

Get rid off the illegal airport-touts, the illegal taxis and the jetski-scammers for starters!coffee1.gif

Then clean up the beaches, make sure that the drivers of the valuable tourist-cargo are not drunk and/or high. Bring the railroad network into this century. Stop doublepricing!!bah.gif

And teach the hookers, that a car and/or a house, is not part of the deal!!

With those simple measures, the tourism will have a bright future in Thailand.

But if you do all that ,it will not be AMA|ING THAILAND anymoresad.pngsad.png

How about addressing all the issues that convince people not to come to Thailand as a tourist destination?

disregard for public ( tourist ) safety.

Scams

Rip off double pricing.

Corrupt police and officials.

Political unrest.

Garbage everywhere.

The list goes on and on.

Maybe the corrupt government is cutting into profits,

But when tourists don't come, there will be no profits!

Safety.

Stupid cheating Thais .. really got a axe to grind with some of those tour operators.

I was in the south for a holiday with my family, as i have traveled between the islands before (ko lipe / koh ngai / ko phi phi). I specifically asked for a ferry ticked and made it clear i did not want a speed boat as my experience with speed boats was that they are overcrowded and unsafe. This was said in Thai by me and my Thai wife. We even paid extra for the ferry (not much but that is besides the point).

Off we go from Ko Phi Phi to Koh ngai, we started off with a ferry (good even though the aircon did not work and the seats were cramped but it was a ferry). Then we went from Lanta to Koh ngai (second leg of the trip) all the tourist were put into a small speedboat and it was overfilled.. no life jacked and many of us had to sit in the front where with every wave you felt like you were punched (were quite a few waves). Of course i made my displeasure known to the captain and his crew in Thai telling them they were cheats and that a ferry was promised not a speed boat. Of course they shrugged and said that was not their problem. I told them it was unsafe to transport so many in such a small boat. It was all perfectly understood and got the standard Thai blame someone else replies (wife did not comment too much as she hates complaining). (as we found out the grounded the ferry because there were not enough tourist that day but too much for the speed boat even though people paid for the ferry greed at its best)

I was not the only one fuming as other tourists were appalled too by how crowded the boat was. Many started complaining in English and of course the crew acted as if they did not understand. I can understand the crew not being responsible but if you don't start complaining nobody ever hears about it. The higher ups can never be reached. As long as Thailand thinks so low about safety and sees tourists as cattle nothing will change and deaths will occur.

Just an other detail, from Koh lipe to pak bara we took a ferry, it was a good ferry spacious seats and such.. language was in Thai and Malay and the wife said the Thais had bought this one from the Malaysians.. seems Thai ferries are for cattle transport while the certainly understand comfort a bit better in Malaysia.

I love this country lived here for 7 years but I don't mind complaining about stuff like this. If i had selected the speed boat I would not have complained because I knew how bad these were (previous experiences) but tourists don't they think of a place to sit and a bit of safety.

Why should they be putting the onus on the tourism operators?

They already do all they can to bring the tourists. It is after all their business and livelihood.

The reform should come from the government, it is them that are sitting on their <deleted> demanding more from other people while tourism receives all but no investment from all the trillions it bring in every year.

I can't find the link I once had to the actual figures but investment in tourism infrastructure was well under 1% of revenue.

• Like 1

action speak louder than words

thai people are very good in words and promises

less in real action, as they cost effort and money, money they prefer in their deep pockets

and a thai only thinks about today, planning for the future, not for us

how about sorting out the stupid ridiculous visa rules relating to Multiple Type 0 introduced in the UK - nobody keeps 16k GBP in a current account - whoever thought this one up needs to engage a little more thought on the (grey) matter - I'd like to know what pillar of wisdom took office in the Thai Embassy of London recently and decided to shake things down and dummer - the word idiot comes to mind