Thai shrimp exports on road to recovery

webfact

Shrimp exports on road to recovery
PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- SHRIMP FARMERS envision brighter prospects for their industry and exports next year as production recovers from disease and many target markets recover from economic slowdowns.

"With stringent control of disease and innovation in shrimp hatcheries, output should increase next year. Shrimp production should be back to normal by the second quarter. Shrimp exports should also rise, thanks to more supply and stronger demand from importing countries including the US, EU and Japan," Somsak Praneetatyasai, president of the Thai Shrimp Association, said yesterday.

The association forecasts total domestic production expanding by 20 per cent to 300,000-320,000 tonnes next year after this year's output plunged by 54 per cent to only 250,000 tonnes due to the spread of early mortality syndrome in shrimp hatcheries.

The association projects exports jumping by 20 per cent to 240,000 tonnes worth Bt70 billion next year.

In the first 10 months of this year, shrimp exports plummeted by 38.4 per cent in volume to 175, 713 tonnes, and by 28.89 per cent in value to Bt56.27 billion, as supply was severely crimped. It is estimated that shrimp exports would reach 200,000 tonnes by the end of this year.

The value of shrimp exports has not dropped a much as volume because the price of shrimp has zoomed up following lower supply in the world market, which is mainly provided by Thailand.

Despite the outbreak, shrimp farmers have not yet totally turned their backs to the industry as the shrimp price has climbed up sharply this year.

About 50-70 shrimp hatcheries have suspended operations, but farmers still maintained some hatcheries to raise shrimp due to the higher return.

For instance, the price of a kilogram of 70 shrimp is quoted at Bt270 this year, compared with last year's less than Bt180-Bt190 a kilo.

Due to lower shrimp production, Thailand this year lost its title as the world's largest exporter to India and Ecuador. However, with the strict measures to restore shrimp hatcheries, Thailand should become the world champion again in two years.

Shrimp farmers nationwide have learned to develop their shrimp raising, starting from the nursery, to be bio-secure, as well as to increase efficiency in farming management to prevent disease.

However, the national association and regional shrimp producers associations are worried about the Fishery Department's plan to import shrimp from Indonesia and India to offset lower domestic supply, as that could introduce new diseases.

The association has already sent a letter to the department asking it to limit the period for shrimp imports, which is set at a maximum of 20,000 a month.

It said that if there is any allowance for shrimp imports, the government should ensure sanitary standards.

The import of shrimp should be only for three months from January-March, as domestic output is expected to improve in April.

Banjonk Nissapawanich, president of the Shrimp Farmers of the East Association, said farmers in the region were small producers and accounted for 30 per cent of total production in the country.

The outbreak this year has caused problems for farmers, but with the higher price, the industry was not seriously damaged.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-19

We'd like to see a video showing a modern shrimp farm in Thailand and it's safety and disease precautions. It would be useful to reinstate confidence in Thai shrimp process from farmer to shipper. This type of video is used by leading food providers all over the world.

• Like 2

2david48

Thanks to your post I am just dreaming that the shrimp farms some 30 kms from here are built into the mangroves area and right on the sea. I also viewed a German documentary on their international channel about shrimp farming in Thailand making such baseless claims as hurting the mangroves. It was probably the TV crew who had destroyed the plants and put in a fake farm well in advance of their trip to Thailand. Ahh, yes, you are right - past European Union bans on Thai shrimp and health warnings were also dreamed up.

David I thank you for setting the record straight- about yourself not the industry.

I live here in shrimpville, and they are mostly up and running. The disease that kills the shrimps pancreas and liver was traced from China and is in check for now. The shrimp farms run the gamut of mud holes to lined modern tanks.

White shrimp are my favorite.

Give me a Prawn / Shrimp from the ocean anyday! Never did like the taste of the farmed varieties ......... Personal Taste folks ...coffee1.gif

I can understand that reasoning and taste wise ... you're probably correct.

That said, there are different varieties available.

post-104736-0-24161700-1387431592_thumb.

Farmed Prawns

The smaller one are the standard white Shrimp.

The blue ones ... thumbsup.gif

If you can afford 'Ocean Catch' ... great

The exports will not increase until the FDA of EU, Japan, and USA approve the product and the process. For some reason the FDA do not trust documentation from exporters. whistling.gif

Fair enough comment but ...

The FDA* won't increase the import allowance? ... or won't raise the existing import quota?

Subtle, but important difference.

Say, for example, the FDA allowed a million tonnes of Shrimp import from Thailand, but, due to the recent issues of the industry, Thailand was only supplying 1/2 million tonnes.

Without having to approve an increase, Thailand could easily go back to supplying their previous quota without disturbing the FDA for an additional allowance.

BTW ... the FDA is a USA body ... what relevance is it to either the EU or Japan?

Tom, I have no inside knowledge of the FDA, but if you do and could shed some light, I'd be the richer for that.

*FDA - Food and Drug Administration.

I steer clear from farmed fish (feeding fish corn for example is not natural). And I wouldn't eat farmed shrimp.

In fact I stopped eating shrimp due to the "bycatch" issue. I don't want to add to the problem of endangered animals like some species of sea turtles being killed.