Thai talk: Education reform has to start in the 'flipped classroom'

webfact

THAI TALK
Education reform has to start in the 'flipped classroom'

Suthichai Yoon

30222422-01_big.jpg
President of MIT Leo Rafael Reif

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Chaturon Chaisaeng has talked in general terms about his version of "education reform". But one crucial aspect of the reform must necessarily begin in the classroom.

A senior official at the ministry, in a recent radio interview, talked about introducing the "flipped classroom" concept for Thai students. He didn't sound very confident about this new model of learning. But it was probably the first time that this method of "reverse teaching" was being considered as part of the country's reform.

What exactly is a "flipped classroom?"

An education expert has defined the concept as a "reversed teaching model that delivers instruction at home through interactive, teacher-created videos and moves 'homework' to the classroom. Moving lectures outside of the classroom allows teachers to spend more one-on-one time with each student. Students have the opportunity to ask questions and work through problems with the guidance of their teachers and the support of their peers - creating a collaborative learning environment."

This obviously is something new and probably alarming for most Thai teachers, who are used to the traditional method of "giving lectures" in the classroom and assigning "homework" for students after the class is over.

But Khan Academy founder Salman Khan, famous for his pledge of "free, world-class education for everyone, anywhere", insists in his book "The One World School House: Education Reimagined" that "flipping the classroom" is in fact the most effective way to enable students to learn.

He says students learn at different rates. Attention spans tend to max out at about 15 minutes. The passive in-class lecture remains the dominant teaching mode, resulting in the majority of students being lost or bored at any given time, even when being taught by a great teacher.

The "flipped classroom" model can be summarised simply as: lecture at home (through watching videos or reading assignments) and "homework" in class. He insists that the use of technology has made a traditionally passive classroom interactive and personal because teachers adopting this teaching method can work with individual students who need help. That means teachers can form personal connections with students and at the same time get real feedback on how well each understands the lessons.

President of MIT Leo Rafael Reif, writing in Time magazine recently, cited a 2011 study co-authored by physics Nobel laureate Carl Wieman at the University of British Columbia that showed the benefits of digital learning: When tested on identical material, students taught through a highly interactive "flipped classroom" approach did nearly twice as well as peers taught via traditional lectures.

He quoted an eminent professor of physics from a peer university as explaining that although he loves lecturing and receives top ratings in student reviews, he had come recently to rethink his entire approach.

"Why? Because testing indicated that many students did not come away from his lecturers ready to apply the concepts he aimed to teach. By contrast, comparable students taught through online exercises - including immediate practice, feedback and reinforcement - retained the concepts better and were better prepared to put them into practice. With so much introductory material moving online, instructors can take time that was previously reserved for lectures and use it to exploit the power of innovative teaching techniques …" the MIT president wrote.

New technology has enabled the "reverse instruction" system to be adopted. This form of blended learning empowers students to learn new content online by watching video lectures wherever they are. What used to be "homework" is now done in class. The teacher's role is thus changed: he doesn't deliver lectures for students to take notes. He provides personalised guidance and interaction with students instead.

Is the Thai education system ready for this reverse learning style? Most students, I am sure, would welcome the change. The flipped classroom offers a new, more exciting way to learn. The problem isn't with the students. It's with teachers, most of whom, I suspect, would find the reversal an uphill task. Many would probably refuse to change for fear that they might lose the students' respect.

But unless changes happen in the classroom, Thailand's education reform will be stuck in the mud for a long, long time to come.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-19

Education reform has clearly to start with failing students.Those who fail have to repeat the year, if that doesn't work, they'll have to build schools for kids with "special needs' and therefore they'll need qualified teachers as well. F A I L E D.

Those students should be able to ask questions if they didn't understand an assignment. Even high school students are not allowed to ask questions, as the educator might not know the answer. F A I L E D.

How comes that most senior students at Universities can't even put a simple sentence together in English, after having around 13 years of :studying English"?

F A I L E D.

Those Thai teachers teaching English should be qualified enough to speak in the language they're teaching. A flight attendant has to pass a TOEIC test, while many Thai English teachers would fail.

Teachers can lose face. F A I L E D.

And that goes on and on and on. Teaching is an occupation that creates all professions. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

All well and good - but the children need self-determination and discipline to do the foundation work at home. This approach will very quickly expose kids with poor learning attitudes. Some would argue that is a good thing.

Agreed, A great concept, proved and tested but can you really imagine a Thai teenager watching lectures or reading at home of an evening? This traditionally is a time when kids are stuck in internet cafes or playing VDO games at home. In my experience and I'm sure others will agree too, Thai kids don't work at home. Their 'homework' is copied, normally in the first period.

Education reform has clearly to start with failing students.Those who fail have to repeat the year, if that doesn't work, they'll have to build schools for kids with "special needs' and therefore they'll need qualified teachers as well. F A I L E D.

Those students should be able to ask questions if they didn't understand an assignment. Even high school students are not allowed to ask questions, as the educator might not know the answer. F A I L E D.

How comes that most senior students at Universities can't even put a simple sentence together in English, after having around 13 years of :studying English"?

F A I L E D.

Those Thai teachers teaching English should be qualified enough to speak in the language they're teaching. A flight attendant has to pass a TOEIC test, while many Thai English teachers would fail.

And that goes on and on and on. Teaching is an occupation that creates all professions. -wai2.gif

Seems a bit harsh and missing the point: to educate the kids, not to punish. It addresses question of why the kids fail (well, one part of it). If idea is doing homework during class time with one on one help it would be less threatening to ask question of teacher so teacher can keep that all important 'face". I think we would all agree the droning lectures without allowing questions is perhaps worst possible way to teach. Would be nice if there were a few bright lights in ministry that could put together interesting innovative presentations on whatever the topic may be so as to free up teachers for that important area of individual help. Why should 50,000 teachers each have to come up with the online info on topic, say long division procedure, when a central office could do so much more effectively.... if they had some visionary types there (one can always hope....).

• Like 1

F A I L E D.

I couldn't agree more starting the final exam with a 50% is no way to grade students. But other things need doing as well. One of the worst things I think Thai students do is simple memorization. They memorize whatever is being taught without having any concept of what it is about.

Ever have a kid tell you good morning at 7 PM,

That's what they memorized in class.

• Like 1

Besides the lack of motivation or the resources to watch the instruction at home, there has been some criticism in the Chronicle of Higher Education that the "flipped classroom" benefits the most able (and hence most motivated) students but doesn't work too well with the less able (and usually less diligent) students.

F A I L E D.

I couldn't agree more starting the final exam with a 50% is no way to grade students. But other things need doing as well. One of the worst things I think Thai students do is simple memorization. They memorize whatever is being taught without having any concept of what it is about.

Ever have a kid tell you good morning at 7 PM,

That's what they memorized in class.

It's not fair to those students who really listen and learn English, or any other subjects. Those who're really good and hard working will only have a slightly higher score.

It has gotten worse, as we've got unsecured wireless (by accident, not on purpose) and many are on their "facebook" page, or any other websites.

Our Thai teachers don't even know why so many kids are online now. Is that being naive, or just stupid?

Why doing all the testing, evaluation etc. when the Thai superiors give them a different grade?

And why do Thai teachers waste so much time doing tests with incorrect English? One multiple choice question: " What happens if you go under the sun?"

The right?? answer: " You'll get a fever." No more to add.

Go with the flow, or you're out of the show. The sad truth.-wai2.gif

• Like 1