Dual nationality travel, and some confusing advice from Thai immigration

An update- the lady in question got to the immigration officer, who did have a problem with the dual passport issue. Although, I had suggested this might happen as they like to delay pretty girls. Anyway, she was told she should choose between one or the other. They wasted her time for a good 30 mins before she had to get "uncle" on the phone, or at least threaten to, and they eventually relented.

The usual BS, but there we have the facts as they happened. She was eventually let on without further issue.

Another good friend of mine, left the country with his Thai wife and child. He is American. He joined the foreigner lanes, and the wife/child went to Thai. He recommends this is a mistake. Anyway- interestingly- the official was hesitant to let the wife and child through until he could ensure the husband was OK with it. Nice to hear it works both ways, I thought.

did she show both passports to immigtration (and why on earth would she do that?)

Why didn't she just use the electronic gates. No one checks you there...

I advised her to, on the advice in this thread, but she was apparently unable to use the electronic gates on that occassion.

She did not volunteer the second passport, but upon finding no visa for Europe in her Thai passport, the Immigration official maybe asked because of this. Another possibility (we cannot know why he asked, only that he asked!) is that, because she looks obviously mixed race, he asked her due to her appearance.

You know how chatty they can be- especially with the single ladies.

Edited by OxfordWill

An update- the lady in question got to the immigration officer, who did have a problem with the dual passport issue. Although, I had suggested this might happen as they like to delay pretty girls. Anyway, she was told she should choose between one or the other. They wasted her time for a good 30 mins before she had to get "uncle" on the phone, or at least threaten to, and they eventually relented.

The usual BS, but there we have the facts as they happened. She was eventually let on without further issue.

Another good friend of mine, left the country with his Thai wife and child. He is American. He joined the foreigner lanes, and the wife/child went to Thai. He recommends this is a mistake. Anyway- interestingly- the official was hesitant to let the wife and child through until he could ensure the husband was OK with it. Nice to hear it works both ways, I thought.

did she show both passports to immigtration (and why on earth would she do that?)

I advised her to, on the advice in this thread, but she was apparently unable to use the electronic gates on that occassion.

She did not volunteer the second passport, but upon finding no visa for Europe in her Thai passport, the Immigration official maybe asked because of this. Another possibility (we cannot know why he asked, only that he asked!) is that, because she looks obviously mixed race, he asked her due to her appearance.

Usually Immigration Officers in any Country are only concerned that, on Entry, you have a valid Visa or National Passport enabling you to enter and, on Exit, that your stay in their Country was in accordance with local regulations - outside that they do not care where you have been or where you are going, it's absolutely not their responsibility.

That said there is ever increasing concern about "Human Trafficking" and so I believe Immigration Officers in many Countries are now tasked to try to identify possible victims of such abuse: I well remember a trip my Daughter made with an ISB arranged European Tour 15 or so years ago when, in Rome, they were stopped at the Airport by Immigration because - being a group of mainly Eurasian looking teenagers - the Officer suspected their motives for being there.

When my daughter told me about the incident I was initially ticked off at the apparent officiousness of the Officer however after calm consideration I was grateful that it was clearly an attempt to protect potential victims of a crime.

Patrick.

I know that is what you've been told, just doesn't ring true. Immigration do sometimes make sure that women leaving have their documents in order and ask extra questions to prevent trafficking, but a mixed race person wouldn't fit that typical profile.

Either she is a nervous traveler or something else.

Anyway alls well that ends well I guess. And make sure she uses the gates from here on in! ;)

• Like 1