Singha Beer Brewery Distances Itself From Anti-Govt Socialite

Lite Beer

What do you think she is doing supporting Suthep? These companies have bought favour and protection from competition for ever. They don't have thaksin in their pocket and that scares the hell out of them.

Imagine if Thaksin removed excise on imported beer.

Woops. There goes your domestic duopoly.

You do know there's more to it than just excise tax, right?

Removing the excise tax would also benefit both Chang and Singha in the same way it would with beer from any country with an FTA.

Huh? Both Chang and Singha sit behind import duties. But Chang has spirits also in its portfolio. You think singha wants free foreign access to the thai market or worse,,say inbev to build a factory in thailand?

These companies live and breathe by the fact that they are protected. Beer is only one business. There are many others where foreign entities are prevented entry.

You're getting confused between import tariffs, excise tax and brewing licenses.

Australia has an FTA with Thailand and part of that FTA includes the phasing out of import tariffs on beer, wine and spirits. This I believe occurred in 2010. This means that Australian brewing companies are essentially on a level playing field - on paper anyway - with the likes of ThaiBev and Singha. They're still hit with excise tax but so are domestic beers.

They're obviously not going to get a license to brew their product here, but that's not what is being argued. If it were, then yes, both would be up in arms about it.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually quite ironic, given Thai Bev's political affiliations...

Does the increased Chang sales speak to the intelligence levels of those up north and almost validate case in point Chitpas's view?

Or is it simply that Chang tastes better?

Or have they dropped the price of it knowing that on volume sales they will cover the price drop?

Questions questions questions...

That's a good point. But ThaiBev aren't advertising their stance by sitting in bulldozers at the anti-govt protests and making statements about 're-educating' rural people. The vast majority of people are probably unaware that they may be helping fund the Democrats by drinking Chang. So I can see why the Singha patriarch is annoyed...

I can see why Singha's president - not patriarch - is on the front foot and condoning the actions of Ms Chitpas, a good business move. She's not part of the business and hasn't been for a while, if she was still involved then the statement would have been directed at her and not her father.

What do you think she is doing supporting Suthep? These companies have bought favour and protection from competition for ever. They don't have thaksin in their pocket and that scares the hell out of them.

Imagine if Thaksin removed excise on imported beer.

Woops. There goes your domestic duopoly.

You do know there's more to it than just excise tax, right?

Removing the excise tax would also benefit both Chang and Singha in the same way it would with beer from any country with an FTA.

Huh? Both Chang and Singha sit behind import duties. But Chang has spirits also in its portfolio. You think singha wants free foreign access to the thai market or worse,,say inbev to build a factory in thailand?

These companies live and breathe by the fact that they are protected. Beer is only one business. There are many others where foreign entities are prevented entry.

You're getting confused between import tariffs, excise tax and brewing licenses.

Australia has an FTA with Thailand and part of that FTA includes the phasing out of import tariffs on beer, wine and spirits. This I believe occurred in 2010. This means that Australian brewing companies are essentially on a level playing field - on paper anyway - with the likes of ThaiBev and Singha. They're still hit with excise tax but so are domestic beers.

They're obviously not going to get a license to brew their product here, but that's not what is being argued. If it were, then yes, both would be up in arms about it.

So we would like to think...but ask any company operating under the false assumption that this is a genuine FTA and you will get an earful about ongoing, unabated protectionism

Specifically this nope. Is singha known to be a staunch democrat party supporter yes.

I still stand by my assertion of this being a business turf war. Interesting to see more companies getting dragged out into the public domain.

Note that Chang beer is Thaksin big buddy. It's so easy to see the political sides. He would love nothing better than to see singha alienate half of up country Thailand.

So in other words, you don't really know what's going on. You have no real knowledge why Ms. Chitpas is doing this. Whether she really believes in what she's doing or whether she's doing it to protect her family's business interests. You're just offering an opinion on this matter like the rest of us. And that's fine, we're all here to offer our differing opinions as long we don't think our opinions are the gospel truth.

No I don't trust why she's doing this and her odious view of the world make it even easier to not support her.

That's your personal opinion and also your right.

Again, we have an article from Khaosod with a suspect stance. More distressing is if it is true, though - as yet another example of a company trying to distance itself ( voluntarily ? ) from the protest movement. Two days ago, the head of Thai Airways suddenly resigned. The reasons officially stated were health-based. Assuming that that's true - it is also true that Thai Airways was one of the companies that two weeks ago expressed public sympathies for the protest movement. Coincidence ? Perhaps. The problem with all of these stories is that they are not isolated events. They form a general mosaic - academics and companies intimidated, called in for questioning, freezing of accounts, etc. Taken individually, one can perhaps dismiss it ( though not easily ). Taken as a whole - is quite another matter. And democracy is pointedly not the word that first comes to mind.

So we would like to think...but ask any company operating under the false assumption that this is a genuine FTA and you will get an earful about ongoing, unabated protectionism

So I took your advice and asked an importer of alcohol from Australia to Thailand.

I was informed that so far as long as the paperwork that is submitted is 100% word for word verbatim and no grammatical errors then there's no issues. If things are out of place then you get taken for an awkward ride around a merry-go-round...

My source did bitch and moan about the continual back'n'forth on said paperwork but otherwise it was fairly painless..

So I took your advice and asked an importer of alcohol from Australia to Thailand.

I was informed that so far as long as the paperwork that is submitted is 100% word for word verbatim and no grammatical errors then there's no issues. If things are out of place then you get taken for an awkward ride around a merry-go-round...

My source did bitch and moan about the continual back'n'forth on said paperwork but otherwise it was fairly painless..

Importing consumables (not alchohol) into all asian markets is my business and you are forgetting a few key factors here; the first is called tea money in regards customs clearance, the second is while they might be part of the FTA, the Thai government does not adhear to the same business standards as Australia, USA or Europe, corruption plays a big part in the way they do business as in most all Asian countries. The thrid is they will require you have certain ingrediants or meet certain standards in your products that only the local manufactures, have which is another way they protect there locals. I know we are off topic but the FTA is a joke along with the Fair Trade and Practices Act!

• Like 1

Importing consumables (not alchohol) into all asian markets is my business and you are forgetting a few key factors here; the first is called tea money in regards customs clearance, the second is while they might be part of the FTA, the Thai government does not adhear to the same business standards as Australia, USA or Europe, corruption plays a big part in the way they do business as in most all Asian countries. The thrid is they will require you have certain ingrediants or meet certain standards in your products that only the local manufactures, have which is another way they protect there locals. I know we are off topic but the FTA is a joke along with the Fair Trade and Practices Act!

I get what you're saying bkkfaranguy, however, as I understand it (I was shown the process and the paperwork) provided your paperwork is correct and to the exact letter then you'll not be giving a donation to the Customs Xmas party. Alcohol doesn't require an FDA license like food so that's one less step.

Of course, if you're paperwork is not correct or your missing something then yes you can facilitate its clearance with a bit of greasing the wheel. But as far as my source was concerned he hasn't had to do this, his shipping guy also chimed in (he joined us for a few beverages after lunch) and took me through it as well.

It's not as scary or gruesome as you make it out to be.

So whilst food and the like might require additionally lobbying, the alcohol side seems pretty black and white in terms of the FTA.

I get what you're saying bkkfaranguy, however, as I understand it (I was shown the process and the paperwork) provided your paperwork is correct and to the exact letter then you'll not be giving a donation to the Customs Xmas party. Alcohol doesn't require an FDA license like food so that's one less step.

Of course, if you're paperwork is not correct or your missing something then yes you can facilitate its clearance with a bit of greasing the wheel. But as far as my source was concerned he hasn't had to do this, his shipping guy also chimed in (he joined us for a few beverages after lunch) and took me through it as well.

It's not as scary or gruesome as you make it out to be.

So whilst food and the like might require additionally lobbying, the alcohol side seems pretty black and white in terms of the FTA.

They almost always find something incorrect or something missing depending on who you are dealing with, the policy is different, that is how they get the wheels greased, I have equipment sitting in customs right now!

The problem with importing booze is that I would probably drink all my profits away with all the BS that is currently going on in the country I so love! LOL

Don't blame them in the least in trying to distance themselves from her.

They are obviously worried about the impact to their brand, I certainly would be.

When you consider that Leo Beer has a huge customer base especially upcountry, I would not be at all surprised if a boycott was already taking place.

You can add me to that list.

Father shows how worldly he really is , money makes Asian people dictators, he acts like one towards he's daughter, perhaps she needs to sit down with father and explain the words freedom of choice , ye get that in a democracy.coffee1.gif

Both Father and Daughter are Ducati riders.

Isn't Ducati aka Ferrari on 2 wheels?

I like her pink helmet

post-186336-0-09254800-1387869973_thumb.

post-186336-0-39075100-1387870107_thumb.

Edited by Spare

Never liked the Reds for their thuggish behaviour. Then again, it's things like this - stupid, condescending statements, elitist attitude and a general idea that every living human being is of a a lower denomination, that give these Yellow/Dems/PDRC/PCAD/Whatever-the-heck-they-are a rotten and an increasingly stinking image. I support neither side - I think they both have some good - and certainly bad - points. But elitist gits like this - they accuse Thaksin for dividing the country, and yet, make equally divisive statements themselves. From this perspective, they are no different from Thaksin.

Edited by outsider