Thai election body suggests poll postponement

webfact

Thai election body suggests poll postponement

BANGKOK, December 19, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's Election Commission on Thursday warned of potential unrest at upcoming polls, suggesting a postponement as thousands of anti-government protesters marched through the capital.

The independent body called for talks between the administration of embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and demonstrators, who have vowed to disrupt the February 2 vote.

Yingluck called the snap election last week to try to defuse a weeks-long political crisis, which has seen opposition protesters massing on the streets of Bangkok.

But the protesters say it would only usher in another government backed by controversial former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck's brother.

They accuse the ousted leader of controlling her behind the scenes and call for the democratic system to be suspended in favour of a reforming "people's council".

"The EC expects the election on February 2 will cause unrest, so holding the poll on that date is not appropriate," said EC commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, adding that officials would organise the vote if parties "insist" on going ahead.

Thousands of people marched through the capital on Thursday in a noisy procession of whistle-blowing, flag-waving protesters.

One faction briefly gathered outside the United States embassy, facing off against lines of riot police and voicing anger at Washington's support for the democratic process.

"When you come to live here, you have to learn our traditions and respect Thailand," said one protest leader, Nititorn Lamleu, from a makeshift stage on the back of a truck.

"If you use Thai soil to trade with Yingluck's government... I will campaign for Thais across the country to oust you and your embassy from Thailand," he added, in comments apparently aimed at US ambassador Kristie Kenney.

Rally leader Suthep Thaugsuban, a former MP and deputy premier under a government led by the Democrat party which is now in opposition, aims to intensify the marches in the run-up to a major protest on Sunday.

The ruling Puea Thai Party is widely expected to win the poll due to Thaksin's electoral clout in the north and northeast, and criticised the EC postponement proposal.

"The EC has a duty to organise elections. Why shift responsibility to others? This is not the right signal to send because it could fuel conspiracy theories," party leader Jarupong Ruangsuwan told AFP.

Thailand has seen 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932, while the country's judiciary and institutions have also made interventions that helped to oust elected governments.

The protests have been backed by the Democrats, who have not won an election for two decades and are currently mulling whether or not to boycott the February poll.

Demonstrators represent a loose alliance of anti-Thaksin groups, including the Bangkok middle classes, the elite, southerners and royalists.

They view the former billionaire tycoon, who was ousted in a 2006 coup, as corrupt and accuse him of buying the popularity which has seen him and his allies win every election for over a decade.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-19

This is doing my head in now.

It changes every bloody couple of hours, they are off, they are on, they are off again.

Get this bunch out and replaced with someone that knows what the hell they want.

This makes Thailand look a joke to the entire world.

Wouldn't it make sense to get rid of the whole lot of corrupt Shizens and re start with people like Korn. No families from any side involved, especially running the job from abroad.

Yes indeed.

No need to stop at the EC, there are many places that need a severe weeding out and the Dubai strings severed once and for all so Thailand can once again run its own affairs.

• Like 1

Election Commission hints at postponing Feb 2 election
By Digital Content

13874492141765.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 19 – Thailand’s Election Commission (EC) today urged the government and protesting groups to hold talks on postponing the February 2 general election.

The five-member EC issued a statement, admitting the possibility of violence and anti-government groups' rejection to the election results amid their objection to the poll.

To ease the political tension, all factions must compromise and tone down their demands to lead to a resolution to the country’s conflicts, the EC said.

It said the election could be postponed but a joint decision must be made on a new, agreed date though the EC is ready to hold it on February 2.

“We should not let the schedule (February 2) restrict Thai people’s opportunities and chances for reconciliation. The EC hopes for a reconciliation,” the statement said.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, one of the five commissioners in charge of election administration, admitted that it is difficult to hold a smooth election amid the present political climate and possible chaos.

“This is an abnormal situation. All factions should hold talks for a smooth election. Don’t take February 2 as a condition or restriction (for political resolutions). Election commissioners will do their best but we foresee election-related problems. There are possibilities given by the law if political factions agreed that February 2 is not appropriate,” he said.

“Our proposal is not to postpone the election. We merely reflect to all related parties but responsible people will have to consider using the legal mechanism. We strongly believe there are legal possibilities in postponing the election.”

He cited a natural disaster as an example of condition to postpone an election but assured that the EC will go ahead with the election as originally scheduled if no agreement could be reached.

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said the EC is not authorised to delay the election, nor coordinating with the government to do so, otherwise it will be charged with bias.

Another election commissioner, Thirawat Rattanapian, said the EC is responsible for holding an election, but not empowered to propose a new date. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-19

I'm glad to see "Son of PAD" being just as xenophobic as well as as just as fascist as their daddy was. The first lot did their best to start a war with Cambodia, now these cretins seem about to take on the USA!

Just listen to the tone of language used.........how can any educated TVer fail to realiidse that these are very, very dangerous people indeed. Don't fall into the same trap as Germany's middle class did, and think that Suthep's rants and raves and demagogery will leave them unscathed.

Coincidentally, I just saw someone post this, which seems rather typical:

1512435_713857671957796_30621807_n.jpg

lol

Also this is apparently the letter sent to foreign embassies by protesters, obtained by Thai Rath:

'Western societies in our view, are decadent and driven by greed and heartless competition for wealth. We Thais still care for our parents and relatives as well as social values very much different from 'everybody is for himself or herself' as taught and groomed in the West. We can fix our problems, no matter how long it will take and how much it will cost. Please leave us alone! If you continue to "express"...' (wonder what the next line is?)

https://twitter.com/niddy_TRnews/status/413570364862898176/photo/1

Of course, I'd possibly agree with some of the sentiment expressed if it weren't framed so nationalistically. The us vs them, West vs Thais (or Asians) thing is tedious. Capitalism might have originated in the West, but the 'everybody is for himself' thing is sadly all too common globally, including in Thailand and Asia. Would harmless mushroom pickers be jailed in the UK for fifteen years to cover up for illegal logging, for instance? The letter just smacks of delusion and ignorance, not only of the 'West'*, but also of the protesters' own society and culture.

But then I guess those are the two things nationalism thrives on. Delusion and ignorance.

*Is Sweden, for instance, one of the most equal countries in the world, an example of the 'everybody is for himself' culture taught in the West?

This is doing my head in now.

It changes every bloody couple of hours, they are off, they are on, they are off again.

Get this bunch out and replaced with someone that knows what the hell they want.

This makes Thailand look a joke to the entire world.

Wouldn't it make sense to get rid of the whole lot of corrupt Shizens and re start with people like Korn. No families from any side involved, especially running the job from abroad.

I agree... If only would be possible a reform where any subject involved in corruption or abuse of power would be excluded by politics on a life term, would be a great thing...

But sincerely, I think even my kids in their life will not see that. Sadly.

• Like 1

"If you use Thai soil to trade with Yingluck's government... I will campaign for Thais across the country to oust you and your embassy from Thailand," he added, in comments apparently aimed at US ambassador Kristie Kenney.

Proof positive that ranting raving drivel isn't the sole domain of the red shirts.

One of my wifes ex staff is on Facebook accusing all Thai people who are on the fence regarding the current crisis as being traitors to their country for not taking an anti government stance. She also said they should renounce their citizenship as theyre not worthy of being Thai.

<deleted>

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

It does not take a rocket scientist to realize the current system and the way it is run is not working. Every few years there seems to be protests or a coup. I do not have the answer as to what needs to be done or implemented to correct it ... but as sure as the sure as the sun will rise tomorrow if they use the same corrupt system the protests or coup will soon follow.

Of course Thaksin wants the election to proceed as planned, PTP will win and they will try jam amnesty for him down Thais throats again. This will lead to ............. deja vue .......

Really is too bad that one person and his greed, quest for power and revenge are so all consuming that he is willing to lead a country to ruins.

• Like 1

It does not take a rocket scientist to realize the current system and the way it is run is not working. Every few years there seems to be protests or a coup. I do not have the answer as to what needs to be done or implemented to correct it ... but as sure as the sure as the sun will rise tomorrow if they use the same corrupt system the protests or coup will soon follow.

Of course Thaksin wants the election to proceed as planned, PTP will win and they will try jam amnesty for him down Thais throats again. This will lead to ............. deja vue .......

Really is too bad that one person and his greed, quest for power and revenge are so all consuming that he is willing to lead a country to ruins.

Of course you are right.

The thing is though, I can't see any point in forcing the amnesty bill through, and I am not even sure if it is totally killed now that parliament has been dissolved. maybe someone can shed a little light on that.

But even if the bill did go through and Thaksin was cleared of his evils, I am sure he is not so stupid as to return to Thai soil. He knows that in a country where he is hated by probably around 20 or 30 million people, his days would be severely numbered. I think he has burnt his bridges here well and truly.

I would give him a month tops to survive in this country after his return.

Clearing him of his crimes is merely academic, clearing him of the hatred is impossible.

What do the EC and the majority of politians have in common? They all appear of Chinese origin.

How about a voice for the indigenous?

yes it seems all of the last premiers:

Yingluck

Abhisit

I am not sure about Somchai, but considering that he married in a Chinese family he might be Chinese

Samak

Surayud

Sonti...I think he was a Thai Muslim...but not really PM

Thaksin

Chuan

Chavalit

Banharn

Of course you are right.

The thing is though, I can't see any point in forcing the amnesty bill through, and I am not even sure if it is totally killed now that parliament has been dissolved. maybe someone can shed a little light on that.

But even if the bill did go through and Thaksin was cleared of his evils, I am sure he is not so stupid as to return to Thai soil. He knows that in a country where he is hated by probably around 20 or 30 million people, his days would be severely numbered. I think he has burnt his bridges here well and truly.

Clearing him of his crimes is merely academic, clearing him of the hatred is impossible.

But beside Thaksin, and that he get "his" billions back. It is said that the bill would have killed 25.000 corruption cases at court. So beside Thaksin some other may have massive interests in this.

I'm glad to see "Son of PAD" being just as xenophobic as well as as just as fascist as their daddy was. The first lot did their best to start a war with Cambodia, now these cretins seem about to take on the USA!

Just listen to the tone of language used.........how can any educated TVer fail to realiidse that these are very, very dangerous people indeed. Don't fall into the same trap as Germany's middle class did, and think that Suthep's rants and raves and demagogery will leave them unscathed.

Coincidentally, I just saw someone post this, which seems rather typical:

1512435_713857671957796_30621807_n.jpg

lol

Also this is apparently the letter sent to foreign embassies by protesters, obtained by Thai Rath:

'Western societies in our view, are decadent and driven by greed and heartless competition for wealth. We Thais still care for our parents and relatives as well as social values very much different from 'everybody is for himself or herself' as taught and groomed in the West. We can fix our problems, no matter how long it will take and how much it will cost. Please leave us alone! If you continue to "express"...' (wonder what the next line is?)

https://twitter.com/niddy_TRnews/status/413570364862898176/photo/1

Of course, I'd possibly agree with some of the sentiment expressed if it weren't framed so nationalistically. The us vs them, West vs Thais (or Asians) thing is tedious. Capitalism might have originated in the West, but the 'everybody is for himself' thing is sadly all too common globally, including in Thailand and Asia. Would harmless mushroom pickers be jailed in the UK for fifteen years to cover up for illegal logging, for instance? The letter just smacks of delusion and ignorance, not only of the 'West'*, but also of the protesters' own society and culture.

But then I guess those are the two things nationalism thrives on. Delusion and ignorance.

*Is Sweden, for instance, one of the most equal countries in the world, an example of the 'everybody is for himself' culture taught in the West?

If I hear Sweden, I must think on Assange...I agree with this statement - what I can read

Proof positive that ranting raving drivel isn't the sole domain of the red shirts.

One of my wifes ex staff is on Facebook accusing all Thai people who are on the fence regarding the current crisis as being traitors to their country for not taking an anti government stance. She also said they should renounce their citizenship as theyre not worthy of being Thai.

<deleted>

Yes, a couple of weeks back celebrity English teacher Ajarn Adam posted something on FB about not taking sides & being happy to be described as 'choey'. He received a load of vitriol for it, and even one of my anti-govt friends said it was ridiculous and 'too much'. Note Voranai has a piece in the BKK Post today about these 'Thai choey' (neutrals) and the 'zealots' that criticize them.

• Like 2

I wonder who has been leaning on them. This is getting ridiculous.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

There has been a decree issued appointing the caretaker prime minister and setting the date for the election, but Suthep and his friends continue to disregard those instructions. This seems like serious stuff and borders on.........

Nearly fifty percent of the Thai GDP is manufacturing for export but they don't want the decadent Western/Asian influences?

They sure do appreciate the jobs though. Well, those who aren't planning a nice job in the future/planned dictatorship like their jobs anyway?

Edit:

By the way, I read this bit of news in the Bangkok Post and they left out all the cheer leading for the protesters.

Sad to see AFP including it in their biased reporting.

Edited by WISteve

"Election Commission hints at postponing Feb 2 election"

Well I guess that the Election committee has been bribed from Dubai under the table and PING... Suthep, Abhisit and co. And with them all Babgkok-ONLY-Bangkok people are screwed and cursed for life in a never ending protest struggle...

The democrat and Anti-Thaksin groups have fallen right into ThakIn's vicious trap,...

,.... Wanna bet that elections will be postponed until the Amnesty Bill ban will be lifted?

Of course you are right.

Now Dems got 11 million votes at the last election you are still 19,000,000 short of hating voters. Links to your world please

• Like 1

"Election Commission hints at postponing Feb 2 election"

Well I guess that the Election committee has been bribed from Dubai under the table and PING... Suthep, Abhisit and co. And with them all Babgkok-ONLY-Bangkok people are screwed and cursed for life in a never ending protest struggle...

The democrat and Anti-Thaksin groups have fallen right into ThakIn's vicious trap,...

,.... Wanna bet that elections will be postponed until the Amnesty Bill ban will be lifted?

Seriously?

Of course you are right.

I agree with you there is a bullet here in Thailand just waiting for his return. He knows it is and will not come back. The big deal with the amnesty bill going through would be that it allows him to save face. for a Thai with the size of his ego that is a big thing.

Much as I dislike it the only thing that would remove him from Thailand politically would be a public denouncement of him by Yingluck followed up by removing any of his hired flunkies from positions of any kind of importance.

My money says she hasn't the balls to do it. Or cares that much about Thailand.

POLITICS
Reconsider poll date: EC

The Nation

30222562-01_big.gif?1387491587740

Election Commission calls for reconciliation as it worries about conflict before and after poll

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission yesterday appealed for cooling-off period out of fears that the wrangling over when the snap election should be held could lead to an escalation in unrest and a dispute over the poll results.

"The Election Commission views that the best way for improving the current situation is for all sides to reconcile and reduce their demands to a level that can be acceptable to all. There is no loser or winner, but it will be a way out for Thailand," the five new commissioners said in a statement yesterday.

They also urged a reconsideration of the February 2 election date, saying it should not be allowed to "limit the possibility for Thais to reach reconciliation".

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn told the EC's press conference that the agency found that in the current situation, it would be difficult to hold a trouble-free election.

"It has been widely agreed that there could be a disturbance because this is not a normal situation," he said.

The remark came as the People's Democratic Reform Committee, which has been protesting against the caretaker government for more than six weeks and is demanding postponement of the election until political reform is completed, led another march in Bangkok that drew several thousands of supporters.

Somchai suggested that mediators facilitate negotiations between the government and the PDRC on whether the February 2 election should go ahead.

If there are no talks and the February 2 date is confirmed, the EC would do its best to hold the election, he said.

"But we expect considerable problems during the election," he said.

According to the law, the election can be rescheduled, he said.

"If the two sides agree that the election does not have to be held on February 2, the legal officials of the government must find a way to postpone it and the EC will be ready to organise it accordingly," he added.

Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the PDRC, reiterated that balloting without reforming the country first would allow the return of the " Thaksin regime," which he said has corrupted Thai politics for years.

Although the EC said postponement of the election was possible, delaying it for a few months was insufficient for the reform process, he said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she would still stick to the original election date but the law should be taken into consideration if postponement is inevitable.

Ruling Pheu Thai Party leader Charupong Ruangsuwan said he had received Yingluck's documents for party-list MP candidacy and is still waiting for her photograph.

He said Yingluck would make an appearance to offer moral support when her party submits its party-list MP applications on Monday.

He said he had not heard reports that Yaowapa Wongsawat, a former MP for Chiang Mai and Yingluck's sister, would not run in the February 2 general election and that Panthongtae Shinawatra, Yingluck's nephew, would take her place.

If the PDRC tried to block Pheu Thai's party-list MP filing on Monday, he would invite the foreign media to tell the world how the anti-government protesters do not respect the royal election decree and democracy by obstructing the election process.

The caretaker prime minister will return to Bangkok on an Army plane from her inspection tour of the Northeast this morning to chair a meeting of the Defence Council at the Army Club at 9.30am and to tape her New Year's greeting to Thais, a Government House source said.

Afterwards she would fly back to the Northeast and resume her trip, the source said.

Yingluck's eyes brimmed with tears as her supporters in the northeastern province of Roi Et chanted to boost her spirits in a traditional welcoming ceremony known as Bai Sri Su Kwuan.

About 20,000 government supporters gathered at Bung Planchai, where Yingluck presided at the opening of a traditional handicrafts fair. Some 100 anti-government protesters also turned up to blow whistles in a symbolic gesture of opposition under a heavy security guard of 1,200 officials.

After the chief Brahmin conducted a rite to boost her kwuan (spirits), which are believed to protect and take care of her, thousands of people chanted three times to give Yingluck moral support. The PM's eyes welled up after she heard the cheers.

The Thai Journalists Association, Thai Broadcast Journalists Association and the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand also issued a statement expressing concern about the upcoming election.

Under these circumstances, the election might not lead the country out of conflict but might drive a deeper divide in society. A process was needed to build mutual understanding and ensure the rules were accepted by all sides, the statement said.

All sides must join to push for reform in all respects to uproot the underlying causes of the conflicts. It is important to begin the process as soon as possible. Reform of some areas such as anti-corruption must start right away, the statement said.

The caretaker government must keep the peace in the country by using the laws straightforwardly and must not abuse its power. It must not do anything directly or indirectly that could possibly cause losses or violence, the media statement said, adding that the PDRC protesters must also demonstrate peacefully without resorting to violence.

Besides using the masses to pressure the government, the PDRC should consider dialoguing as another way to seek solutions.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-20

Of course you are right.

Now Dems got 11 million votes at the last election you are still 19,000,000 short of hating voters. Links to your world please

68 ,million in Thailand

You telling me that the entire other 57 million love him?

You said hating voter.... I said 'people'.

Edited by Nibbles48