PM Yingluck: Govt cannot move election date

webfact

PM: Govt cannot move election date

BANGKOK, 20 December 2013 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is adamant that the government has no authority to reschedule the election, which has already been set to take place on February 2 next year.

The Election Commission (EC) previously expressed concerns that there would be disruptions to the general election if the date remained fixed on February 2. The commission therefore recommended that the government and the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) work out a new election date together so that it would be acceptable to both sides.

However, as a response, Prime Minister Yingluck has confirmed that the power to assign a new date for the poll does not rest with the government. She said she was open to any suggestions but would have to consult the legal team as well as academics first.

Meanwhile, Election Commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn has expressed readiness for the registration of party-list MP candidates which will take place during December 23-27 at Keelawes 2 Building of the Thai-Japanese Youth Center in the Din Daeng area. Applications will be accepted from 8.30 am-4.30 pm. Mr Somchai said tight security would be provided by the police while urging the candidates to make sure they brought all the required documents with them.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-20 footer_n.gif

It's like the film "the never ending story" February 5th elections, ting luck wins again, yellow carry on regardless!

How about "Every Which Way but Loose" the dems win, and the redshirts return to burn Bangkok! (lol, after all it is a comedy!) Because what ever happens now neither side will accept loosing!

Edited by ggold
  • Like 2

call me naive but,

If Yingluck" democratic election is not excepted by the opposition, and allowed to serve full 4 year term at which time the opposition would have it's turn at making their case to the electorate and perhaps winning,

whats to prevent the reds from doing the same to the opposition if they should gain power? Is the situation in Thailand so bad that it can't wait until the end of Yinglucks term?

Edited by sirineou

EVerything out from her mouth are BS.

Remember what she used to say? She willing to do anything so long to bring back peace and happiness for the nation.

But look at her now. People did not reject election voting but just want to defer the election date due to the fear of civil unrest. She cant compromise and now even said EC has no right to change the date.

Obviously she know the consequences of having the election on 2 feb yet she insist to carry on.

Once again, she has prove to us nation and citizens are not in her top priorities.

Only 2.2trillions baht in their heads.

period.

• Like 1

call me naive but,

If Yingluck" democratic election is not excepted by the opposition, and allowed to serve full 4 year term at which time the opposition would have it's turn at making their case to the electorate and perhaps winning,

whats to prevent the reds from doing the same to the opposition if they should gain power? Is the situation in Thailand so bad that it can't wait until the end of Yinglucks term?

What would you do with a pan that is boiling over?

Turn down the heat, or burn the pan, ruin the cooker and make a mess of the floor?

(but the sticker said it had a four year guarantee)

call me naive but,

The red shirts already did that.

call me naive but,

What would you do with a pan that is boiling over?

Turn down the heat, or burn the pan, ruin the cooker and make a mess of the floor?

(but the sticker said it had a four year guarantee)

I did not notice any boiling over until the opposition turned up the heat,So I agree let's turn down the heat before the pan boils over,

,and behave under the same rules you would want others to behave towards you,

Unless the opposition if it gains power during the coming elections does not mind being overthrown in a couple of years by an unruly red shirt mob

Ok so Lets abandon democracy for the rule of mob, it should do wonders for Thailandwhistling.gif

• Like 1

What is wrong with the EC keep changing their "communications" it's happening - oh maybe it won't bla bla bla

it's an election - contest it - argue/debate - win or lose

that's what democracy is and why USA had Bush for years, love it or hate it, that's what happens in elections

I did not notice any boiling over until the opposition turned up the heat,So I agree let's turn down the heat before the pan boils over,

Unless the opposition if it gains power during the coming elections does not mind being overthrown in a couple of years by an unruly red shirt mob

Ok so Lets abandon democracy for the rule of mob, it should do wonders for Thailandwhistling.gif

"does not mind being overthrown in a couple of years by an unruly red shirt mob" again.

• Like 1

It might be me (with my over-simplistic way of thinking) but can they not just ask the King to move the date, pretty please? Is it that dam_n hard?

Well actually it is. Not even the King can pass a decree that's a direct violation of the constitution, and in this case the constitution states the election must be held no later than 60 days after the dissolution. There is no obvious constitutional way to work around that.

• Like 1

"does not mind being overthrown in a couple of years by an unruly red shirt mob" again.

Yes I agree, when do they stop this vicious cycle ? or is this going to be the political climate every year? How can a country survive under this uncertain political system? How can politicians concentrate governing the country when all they do is defend them selves from each other? Are Thailand's problems partly attributed to this instability? Are Thais shooting them selves on the foot.Has any one explained to then the inherent inadequacies of a circular firing squad?

So many queastions

• Like 1

It might be me (with my over-simplistic way of thinking) but can they not just ask the King to move the date, pretty please? Is it that dam_n hard?

Well actually it is. Not even the King can pass a decree that's a direct violation of the constitution, and in this case the constitution states the election must be held no later than 60 days after the dissolution. There is no obvious constitutional way to work around that.

Yet it's happened before when Thaksin was "caretaker" and the EC also say it "can" be postponed.

Does anyone know their ass from their elbow here, or is lying to suit your own agenda so endemic that nothing that is said can be believed?

EVerything out from her mouth are BS.

Remember what she used to say? She willing to do anything so long to bring back peace and happiness for the nation.

But look at her now. People did not reject election voting but just want to defer the election date due to the fear of civil unrest. She cant compromise and now even said EC has no right to change the date.

Obviously she know the consequences of having the election on 2 feb yet she insist to carry on.

Once again, she has prove to us nation and citizens are not in her top priorities.

Only 2.2trillions baht in their heads.

period.

You got that spot on

Let the Military take control of the country as they did in 2006.

Send little sister into exile and let us all enjoy a peaceful country clap2.gif

I'm sure it will happen.

Votes are very openly bought and nobody seems to want the opposition, especially in the form of Mr. S.

Only way I can see out of this mess.

Edited by Bpuumike

It's like the film "the never ending story" February 5th elections, ting luck wins again, yellow carry on regardless!

How about "Every Which Way but Loose" the dems win, and the redshirts return to burn Bangkok! (lol, after all it is a comedy!) Because what ever happens now neither side will accept loosing!

How about Groundhog Day, where it doesn't matter who wins and we end up back where we started in 2-3 years from now.

So what date do you suggest? I can't see a date both sides would be happy with, so whats the point?

TIT wai2.gif

It should work as you suggest, but will not here in the LOS

Yet it's happened before when Thaksin was "caretaker" and the EC also say it "can" be postponed.

Does anyone know their ass from their elbow here, or is lying to suit your own agenda so endemic that nothing that is said can be believed?

Well there is plenty of precedent with the current caretaker government (any many other Thai governments) in terms of lying to build the perception they want to voters to believe swallow.

And folks generally within Thai politician parties / politicians have no quarms to say things / do things to achieve whatever they want with no morals or values, which politicians in many other countries would just not dare to do.

Examples:

- There would be little doubt that numerous lies have been told in the many attempts to explain the data / Baht numbers in the rice pledging scheme.

- The hearings about water control etc., are clearly managed / manipulated towards a certain line. They are in fact not open public hearings.

In terms of the election date several well established Thai legal eagles have indicated that there are ways to postpone / change the election date. The PT folks are not listening, for one simple reason, they don't want to listen.

Further, I,m starting to wonder if the new Election Commission president is making too many statements on this subject.

In terms of the election date several well established Thai legal eagles have indicated that there are ways to postpone / change the election date. The PT folks are not listening, for one simple reason, they don't want to listen.

Further, I,m starting to wonder if the new Election Commission president is making too many statements on this subject.

Here's a pretty good analysis on the whole election date quandary.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/117342/can-the-election-be-delayed/

Yes, some legal heads have advanced ideas allowing to postpone the date, but none of them look really solid at all if you look at the text of the constitution. Only a ruling by the constitution court would give any kind of certainty.