Motorists and Business Operators complain about new Pattaya Beach Speed Humps

webfact

Actually those "speed humps" are intended to provide an easier way for wheel chair users to cross Beach Road. Now all you wise guys can have fun with that twist of reality.

Lets hope the wheelchair drivers dont speed.... The council might decide to install vertical speedbumps.

If they built a few overpasses for pedestrians on beach road, second and third roads and beach road Jomtiem, and kept hawkers off them, there would be no need for them. There is enough vacant land to do so.

People dying is no joke. If the police and courts would do their jobs properly, there would be no need for speed bumps, or sleeping policemen as they are called in the UK. May I again emphasis, I am referring to any country here, not just Thailand.

Just surprised at the the lack of sleeping policemen jokes so far tongue.png

• Like 1

LOL! I was caught a few times on my bike by speed bumps, but I never fell, leave alone 20 meters!!! Next time open your eyes, mate, and stick to the speed limit. You "missus" can wait a few minutes! Also, how nice of him to think about tourists, which of course was just a cheap excuse because he wants the speed bumps gone!

Thrown 20 meters!? How fast would you have had to be going to get thrown that far? Reckless motorbikers are a problem in Pattaya without a doubt. I hate the speedbumps as much as anyone, but being able to come to Pattaya for 2 weeks, rent a bike for cheap, and then ride like a maniac puts everyone at risk. The bikers couldn't learn to co-exist with pedestrians, and now there's a little price to pay. I'll take the speedbumps, thanks. 'Need more of 'em.

nothing to stop them from embedding flashing horizontally placed red lights or something in the concrete like they do on some slip roads off the motorway.

But I really wonder about the wisdom of spending all this money on

1. installing expensive pedestrian crossing lights everywhere and then not having them working properly
  2. widening Beach Road, which encourages motorists to speed in the outer lane
  3. now installing speed humps to slow the traffic back down.blink.png

Why couldn't they have just left things the way they were ?

• Like 1

Well he did'nt die, he would probably kill himself without the speed bumps so lets hope more local bike idiots will learn the hard way.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The "speeders" will learn in the end.........it may take a few "bumps & bruises"........but they are the reason for them being there

A great idea........well done Pattaya Council

Oh ....and another idea.....

Make the humps "the" designated place where pedestrians can cross the road......(they are wide enough for this purpose)

They can see.....and be seen by the motorists

There should be no speed bumps anywhere in any country. They also slow down the emergency services. What about an ambulance that has to get a seriously ill person to hospital in a life or death situation. Why can't the police go out and catch the speeders on a regular basis? and punish them severely. I am not just referring to Thailand or Beach road here.

In many places emergency service drivers are as reckless if not more so than the average driver.

Any ambulance moving about Pattaya in the area from the beach to at least Third Road or even further east is going to encounter all sorts of delays and should take into consideration pedestrians, other motorists, school children, food vendors, dogs, drunks, et al. There are more people to consider than just the one person being transported in the ambulance and in places where speed bumps aka "sleeping policemen" are appropriate, ambulances should slow down too. The person going to hospital will not be best served if the ambulance is involved in an accident before reaching the hospital.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

The "speeders" will learn in the end.........it may take a few "bumps & bruises"........but they are the reason for them being there

Make the humps "the" designated place where pedestrians can cross the road......(they are wide enough for this purpose)

There should be no speed bumps anywhere in any country. They also slow down the emergency services. What about an ambulance that has to get a seriously ill person to hospital in a life or death situation. Why can't the police go out and catch the speeders on a regular basis? and punish them severely. I am not just referring to Thailand or Beach road here.

From DD13

Why don't you go down the police station and ask them why they are not doing their job properly......and let us know their answer

And yes there will be a "downside" for emergency vehicles Ambulances & Fire trucks.......

But if they solve the speeding motorists problems.....then the humps can be removed..........(I won't hold my breath)

Edited by DD13

Powerful influences have already won this issue.

As I was walking along Beach Road tonight near the police station, they were at the digging up one half of the more demanding speed bump and they had already laid a much flatter speed bump on the other side.

Meanwhile, I stood on the corner of Beach Road and Pattaya Klang and I don't believe it's my imagination but the speed at which people are travelling down this part of Beach Road seems to be getting more and more ridiculous.

What are they going to do wait until an innocent pedestrian is killed before they take decisive action?bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

You must be joking. Really. You really must be joking. I know you are joking.

...erm...

You are joking, ...right?

People dying is no joke. If the police and courts would do their jobs properly, there would be no need for speed bumps, or sleeping policemen as they are called in the UK. May I again emphasis, I am referring to any country here, not just Thailand.

Oh, they have them in the UK as well?

Must be that the police there is also not doing their job, similar to my country and most other western countries where they have speed bumps then .

Can't believe you've never had to bob & weave to avoid being run down by one of these morons.

Granted, speedbumps on main roads should be striped, but if he couldn't see it in time, then he was overruning his headlight. Thrown 60 ft? Corroborating evidence of excessive speed. Next time, drive slower, genius.

I'm no friend of speedbumps either.

At least if they should design them in a way so they don't pose a threat to traffic doing normal speed, i.e. 50 Kph in the city.

• Like 1

I can only speak for the UK, but if the police would get out of their offices more often, even in their cars and catch these speeders. and if the courts would give out stiffer sentences, and automatic bans for even first time offenders for excessive speeding, there would be no need for speed bumps to hamper the emergency services.

From DD13

Why don't you go down the police station and ask them why they are not doing their job properly......and let us know their answer

And yes there will be a "downside" for emergency vehicles Ambulances & Fire trucks.......

But if they solve the speeding motorists problems.....then the humps can be removed..........(I won't hold my breath)

Good post, but in the UK, the public are always complaining about the police not being on the street, and spending too much time in their offices. It would just be a waste of time going and telling them.

In many places emergency service drivers are as reckless if not more so than the average driver.

Any ambulance moving about Pattaya in the area from the beach to at least Third Road or even further east is going to encounter all sorts of delays and should take into consideration pedestrians, other motorists, school children, food vendors, dogs, drunks, et al. There are more people to consider than just the one person being transported in the ambulance and in places where speed bumps aka "sleeping policemen" are appropriate, ambulances should slow down too. The person going to hospital will not be best served if the ambulance is involved in an accident before reaching the hospital.

Yes, that's why I am saying there should be more police out on the streets, especially in a place like Pattaya, for the reasons you have mentioned. The emergency vehicles are expected to drive carefully in an emergency, and if they put pedestrians etc in danger, then they should not be above the law. Let me emphasis again, I am not just referring to Thailand here.

Shouldn't have been driving 180kph while drunk and making a Facebook update. Unseen things in the road will get you every time.

No need to be sarcastic, I know what they mean. The first ones built were like launching pads into space, and were very poorly designed. They have now changed this design to a more rounded version which will be far safer.

Actually those "speed humps" are intended to provide an easier way for wheel chair users to cross Beach Road. Now all you wise guys can have fun with that twist of reality.

WHAT! There are people out there crossing Beach rd in a wheel chair?

Must be a death wish.

I wouldn't be anywhere near Beach rd in a wheel chair.

Even for people walking, crossing Beach rd late at night, early morning is like a Russian roulette, you are taking a gamble every time you cross the road.

the speed at which people are travelling down this part of Beach Road seems to be getting more and more ridiculous.

What are they going to do wait until an innocent pedestrian is killed before they take decisive action?

Heh, you don't seriously believe some dead pedestrian would change a thing!

Yup, early morning hours Beach rd becomes a highway, cars going at highway speeds.

nothing to stop them from embedding flashing horizontally placed red lights or something in the concrete like they do on some slip roads off the motorway.

But I really wonder about the wisdom of spending all this money on

1. installing expensive pedestrian crossing lights everywhere and then not having them working properly
  2. widening Beach Road, which encourages motorists to speed in the outer lane
  3. now installing speed humps to slow the traffic back down.blink.png

Why couldn't they have just left things the way they were ?

Your either joking or haven't been in Thailand long

They love projects like construction so the corrupt goverment officials can get their cut. Without construction however senseless they dont get their cut.