Things I Have Learned From Air Travel This Year

David48

"Food has generally improved. Turkish Airlines Economy are excellent, but try to avoid much of a layover in Istanbul."

Unless you are STAR ALLIANCE GOLD or above. The Istanbul STAR ALLIANCE lounge is IMHO the finest in the world, It's like a movie set from another age.

Tall brass and silver samovars dispense exotic teas, Turkish coffee brewed to order. Tables laden with a huge variety of sweets and pastries and kababs also cooked to order.

The room is furnished with club like overstuffed chairs and sofas; the floors covered with oriental rugs.

My 3 hour layover there was way too short.

The lounge is indeed great, it's just that I find the airport and shopping over priced.

If I have an extended layover I stay in the in-terminal hotel.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That airport security is very inconsistent around the world.

Belt off here, not there. Shoes off there, but not here. Wallet in the tray here, but not there. .... and any combination thereof.

And if you transit through Heathrow you have to queue for a long time to go through the same process all over again. Even if you have arrived from somewhere like the US where you have already passed through tight security.

The only good thing is if you have a short transit time BA will get you fast tracked through.

Waiting in the queues, many people have told me they will avoid Heathrow in future and transit through Schipol or even Frankfurt instead.

• Like 1

David48, on 22 Dec 2013 - 11:24, said:

Well ... I learning a lot.

I have but one to add ... (almost *) every dish on the AirAsia Menu is chicken ... even the Hot Dog is made from Chicken fat Meat.

* I did see a Tuna wrap on the menu.

You should travel with Air India.

Big variety......you can have chicken curry, or lamb curry, or vegetable curry.....even the desert has got curry.

If you like curry you are in heaven!!!!!!

• Like 2

I learn't that Scoot on flights BKK - Oz charge $400 to change dates, (any dates) plus the flights more than double in price about 2 days before.

($200+ per sector) Bad form Scoot. coffee1.gif

Try using ZUJI from Oz, also amazing i found some flights cheaper from Flight Center than any on-line severs.

That airport security is very inconsistent around the world.

Belt off here, not there. Shoes off there, but not here. Wallet in the tray here, but not there. .... and any combination thereof.

And if you transit through Heathrow you have to queue for a long time to go through the same process all over again. Even if you have arrived from somewhere like the US where you have already passed through tight security.

The only good thing is if you have a short transit time BA will get you fast tracked through.

Waiting in the queues, many people have told me they will avoid Heathrow in future and transit through Schipol or even Frankfurt instead.

Agree, i have had that dilema so now i choose flights with short transit times, even if it costs me more otherwise i get put through the mill.

Always ask for a beer on Thai domestic flights :P

ThaiAir now serves even smaller dry bread than last year on domestic flights. What on earth is happening to all the rice in Thailand?

Flying, the food and the airports suck more than ever and it's still getting worse!

The only solution seems to be is to become a monk and get your own plane with proper service ;-)

I used to be a gold card member on Thai till I cut down on flights. I fly 3 times a year New Zealand to Bangkok on economy the average flight cost is NZ$2,000 return and they class it as a special creepy and never give miles, And the seats on their 777s are like wooden hard seats. I have started to go with Qantas for $500-$600 less, more comfy seats and far better arrival times, good by Thai.

Middle Eastern people always want to swap seats. Families must check in separately and then want to sit together, whilst the boys only trips all want to sit together and start the fun on the plane (great if you want noisy, rowdy, forever seat swapping gang around you).

I've seen some Middle Eastern passengers in a group split between business and economy. They kept trying to switch seats to take it in turns in business.

Etihad business has got worse - food and service. Qatar is fantastic on business - apart from when the FA forgot breakfast and they haven't got landing cards. Gulf surprised me - old planes, low choice of food and wines but exceptional service from the very well trained and experienced FA's.

I see most new films on flights rather than at the cinema.

I've eaten in every restaurant at Doha business terminal - first and business. Abu Dhabi business lounge has draft Guiness !

I learned some years ago to do everything possible to avoid flying the very unfriendly skies of the Corpartate Police State of Amerika and their Gestapo at the airports, haven't been back in over 3.5 years and never plan to return. When still having to fly back and forth I switched to China Air, better service, better looking service, cheaper, better food (still airline food), not to hard to upgrade on miles-forget ever getting the free flight, better lounge (when the Gestapo doesn't hold you up so long you not only miss your free beer but almost miss your flight). Short haul flights around Thailand to Cambodia, Bali, Philippines no real problem. Worse thing on the flight to Bali was all the ugly farang women on board.

This year I learned that thanks to my first retirement extention I didn't have to fly home for another visa. Thus saving me 750 to a 1000 euro's or more and saving time .
I hate to fly , from very overpriced tickets to every bad experiences already mentioned by other posters.
Is there a bigger waste of money than paying for a flying bus with cramped seats, bad food , dirty and small toilets , nasty security checks,...? (except for taxes, an even bigger waste).
And the wasted time looking for the best ticket/price , going to and from airports.
The long waits in airports , the terrible layovers and the noisy 12 to 15 hours endless flights.
Maybe I can stretch it and not fly in 2014 !

• Like 1

Turning up at Suvarnabhumi airport clean shaven and wearing my teaching clothes (shirt, trousers, smart shoes) got me upgraded from economy to first, perfect for my 12 hour flight home!

In 2 weeks time I will see if I get the same at Heathrow airport, but I don't have much hope...

Be smart;y dressed and polite to the cabin crew is generally enough to ensure that you have access to the extra supplies of apple juice and whichever meals that are available. But act like cattle in whichever class of travel....

I have learned even with a Silver Star Aliance Card ,you have no chance of being upgraded ever on SAS flights !

Because Silver status is reached after only one or two return flights Sca-Asia. I believe Aegean would give you Silver after a single intra-Euro rtt. Not much loyalty needed.

However, I've learned that first time fliers with a Thai passport has a much higher chance of being upgraded on Thai Airways intl. flights than a farang with a ROP Gold card.(*)

Other things I've learned - tho not only this year:

SAS Plus CPH-BKK is about equal to or worse than Thai Economy. Horrible entertainment system and seats.

ME airlines have better looking interiors and FAs, but lay-overs makes them not worth it.

*(waiting for it... :D)

Australian immigration officers will make a deliberate attempt to find a blank page in your passport and whack a stamp right in the middle!

Same goes for U.S. immigration. While doing the stamping you can almost hear them screeming "<deleted> you!".

Well:

• Nothing irks me more than being on a flight for 6-12 hours, then having to wait on a bus to take me to the terminal. Cheap SOBs
  • Trapped like rats on the tarmac?
  • Getting the last seat in the back, does not recline, wasn't designed to recline.
  • Safe airlines, seats broke, don't sit up so you are reclining all the time
  • Fill out form ahead of time for special meal, they have none!

Merry Christmas

I re-learned to stay off any American carrier due to bad service, poor seats, & in many cases, but not all cases rude stewardess

I have to agree, even though I am an American, and fly to Thailand often, I will fly on an American carrier only as a last result.

• Like 1

As an aside ... does anyone have any connections within Scoot?

I've been trying to resolve an issue there for a month and a half, I just keep getting stonewalled ... dry.png

PM me if you can help.

Once they have your money they consider all problems resolved. tongue.png

• Like 1

During turbulence, it's easier to pee in the basin than the crapper.

During turbulence you should be strapped in your seat - or you could break a limb or even put your head through the ceiling. It does not happen often but does occur enough.

Never call an Aus airhostess a trolly dolly!

Complete sense of humor failure will result

Trolly dolly is a very English term, so will never go over well with an Australian Flight Attendant. For all posters, the term air stewardess went out of aviation use about 30 years ago. They are ALL Flight Attendants, male or female.

Another aviation term now being used when the flight crew are all female. They now sit in the box office not the cockpit. This was passed on to me by a female pilot.

• Like 2