Honda Vezel is coming...

funcat

I have been interested in this model, but decided to go ahead with the Ford Ecosport instead, which has been promised to be delivery in March 2014 for us. As I understand it, the Vezel will not even begin production in Thailand until late 2014, and the first models will simply be the normal 1.5 Jazz-based engine for a year or so anyway. So, it's perhaps likely that deliveries won't begin until perhaps March 2015, and again, with both the Ecosport and Vezel, we won't see any ground-breaking drivetrains for more than a year after they introduce the model. (Honda said they will introduce a hybrid version a year later or so, and Ford said they will introduce the Ecoboost engine a year later or so).

So, this puts Ecosport about a year ahead of delivering to customers in Thailand, and those are without all the advanced eco options. We're at least two years out seeing a Vezel with a hybrid option, and Honda already said this will be pricey in another interview.

The only other options are Juke or as another member on the board has said, the Merc GLA. smile.png

• Like 1

I wonder how the NGV City is doing sales-wise? I suppose they could have considered that for the Thai market on the Vezel, but I guess it's hard to find a place for the tank on a SUV.

Impossible to know without a mole - the figures Honda supplied don't differentiate between model grades :(

• 8 months later...

Interesting article in today's BKK Post about the new Vezel (thankfully renamed HR-V for Thailand - or...maybe not...sounds like a communicable incurable sexually transmitted disease).

Anyway, evidently Honda has restarted the project and we will see this new mini SUV sometime in the future, perhaps a year or two? Will be interesting to see if they do the Hybrid option, then it would be a category killer at the right price.

I was expecting something larger, like the Mazda 3 hatch back, and a 1.8 cc. By the pictures here, looks like is like the Jazz but taller and heavier. I can fit 2 bikes on my Jazz too, and not taking off the front tires. The design of the folding rear seats on the Jazz is a masterpiece!

Nice car, but......If the price of this Honda is too close to the CRV, Subaru XT, Mazda CX5, and the small BMW, not an easy decision.

there was an article about in the Paul Tan website today which shows the specs for Indonesia. Seems it will be manufactured in Indonesia which will mean a more reasonable price due to the ASEAN agreement. I do not know if they would also assemble in Thailand. Frankly wouldn't make sense if they are already manufacturing in Indonesia

Looks promising to me. These small SUVs are becoming increasingly popular and Honda screws together reliable car. I drove the CRV all last week and found it a little large for town use so a smaller vehicle would definitely appeal. I am not a Juke fan and not really sold on the Ecosport either.

Have to wait for the exact Thai specs and prices

http://paultan.org/2014/09/19/iims-2014-honda-hr-v-asean-debut/

This Indonesia angle makes the car somewhat less attractive from a parts supply, availability supply-chain and perhaps even build quality and other aspects. It was previously announced they would build the car in Thailand at (what was to be) a new plant in Prachin Buri. In another BK Post article they said Honda was being coy about when they would open this new plant, so we'll see.

If it's an Indo import that makes it less attractive in my mind, even if priced the same as domestic made.

I've been waiting for the Vezel, but its taking too long to arrive for my needs and it looks likely to be priced close to 900,000 baht. I looked at the Mobilio which has just hit the showrooms and was seriously disappointed, even as a keen Honda fan. Poor quality and poor interior design. The cheaper Suzuki Integra is far better. As for the Vezel. I'm now looking at the Ford Ecosport as a readily available car although I know that too has its faults, not least the rear door which opens the wrong way for right hand drive.

This Indonesia angle makes the car somewhat less attractive from a parts supply, availability supply-chain and perhaps even build quality and other aspects. It was previously announced they would build the car in Thailand at (what was to be) a new plant in Prachin Buri. In another BK Post article they said Honda was being coy about when they would open this new plant, so we'll see.

If it's an Indo import that makes it less attractive in my mind, even if priced the same as domestic made.

The Juke is also built in Indonesia and the quality seems good and parts readily available.

Sent from my LG-D858

We had the Ecosport at the top of the list for our second car until recently. Unlike every other Ford I have driven, the Ecosport is dull to drive, poorly made, poor ergomics (rear doors too big, stupid tailgate and small boot) and not particularly frugal with the crappy 1.5l engine.

It's a real shame as we both prefer Fords.

We had the Ecosport at the top of the list for our second car until recently. Unlike every other Ford I have driven, the Ecosport is dull to drive, poorly made, poor ergomics (rear doors too big, stupid tailgate and small boot) and not particularly frugal with the crappy 1.5l engine.

It's a real shame as we both prefer Fords.

Hi There/. I guess everyone has there own thoughts/. don't knock it to you have tried it?

Having traded up from a vios to a Ford Ecosport, I am finding it a refreshing change (now some 9 weeks old).

As for crappy 1.5i engine - its fairly quick on acceleration after my vios (like the 6 speed auto box) and has lots more room inside - rear doors to big? there smaller than most cars, boots not vast but adequate space (its higher than most) fold down seats if you want more space. Poorly made? why - you could buy a Proton, Skoda there's a lot worse cars/trucks out there.

Can't argue with Ford service - dealership satisfaction either.

At least I am enjoying my Ecosport now and not waiting for Honda Vezel that's already been delayed? - how many times - when is it available to buy? guess not in the near future?

cheers

• Like 2

As a Honda fan and long time Honda user, I'll echo Martinpeter's sentiments above. I've had Hondas for years and was keen to buy the Vezel but couldn't wait any longer to change my car, so opted for the Ecosport. Its got a few drawbacks, but no car is perfect. I was surprised to find in practice that its shorter than the Honda City (excluding the rear wheel holder). Yes it can be a bit of a gas guzzler if you've got a heavy right foot, and yes the rear door opens the 'wrong way' for right hand drive roads, but overall I'm pretty happy with it for the price. The steering is perfect and precise; the driving position is high for good road visibility; its not an offroader but deals with rough surfaces well; it can wade through 550mm of water; the "sync" sytem is excellent; the interior finish is just fine although the quality of the plastics are not quite as good as in the Hondas, but then the Ecosport is likely to be a deal cheaper than the Vezel (due to appear at the motorshow in December), and the new Honda Mobilio isn't a very good car overall. The Ecosport suites me well, and I got great service from the dealership, plus a great deal.

Honda are also promising 1.0L, 1.5L and 2.0L turbos, along the lines of ecoboost, for their entire range by 2016 smile.png

Any chance of an ecoboost honda eco car? I like the fiesta 1.0 turbo, but it's very pricey.

Well, it won't be called ecoboost (Ford trademark), but yes, all Honda models will have an variant with a lower capacity, turbo engine by 2016. You can expect them to be range/price toppers though - a 1.0L turbo engine is still more expensive the manufacture than a 1.5L naturally aspirated engine, and with the extra torque could also mean more pricey gearboxes.

a brand new Honda Mobilio was in front of me yesterday........

So is the Honda Vezel going to be different ?

and what's with the overpriced Freed ?

The Mobilio is an MPV - the HR-V (Vezel) is a mini SUV - like the Ecosport and Juke.

The Freed has always been pricey - it's pitched as a premium mini-MPV, which works in Indonesia, but not so much here.

a brand new Honda Mobilio was in front of me yesterday........

So is the Honda Vezel going to be different ?

and what's with the overpriced Freed ?

The Mobilio is an MPV - the HR-V (Vezel) is a mini SUV - like the Ecosport and Juke.

The Freed has always been pricey - it's pitched as a premium mini-MPV, which works in Indonesia, but not so much here.

Thanks..

All these hatch back types in Thailand and Thais so say hate hatchbacks and Estates blink.png

Edited by ignis