Years ago it was normal when taking money out of the ATM (not your own bank) that you had to pay a fee.

I'm sure they changed the rules and it was free to go anywhere, now it seems the banks are back to their old practice and charging 10-- bath again.

Anyone know this is legal?

You are allowed four free ATM uses at banks other than the one in which you have an account during each month as long as you're in the same province, after which you are charged ten baht at ATMs other than your own bank's.

If you use an ATM in a different province from your home bank branch, there are fees.

On September 23, 2010, Bank of Thailand (BOT) has announced ATM fee ceiling framework which came into full effect one year later.[18] Most of the banks will allow customer to have four withdrawal or balance inquiry transactions for free provided that the ATM is located in the same province with the account, then charges up to THB10 per transaction for interbank same-province ATM usage. Inter-provincial fund transfer or withdrawal fees are capped at THB20 per transaction as a result of BOT 2010 reform. However, Banks are now pushing for high annual fee card by combining personal assurance (PA) into their cards. The annual fee of PA card can be more than three times for the ordinary card (typically THB200 for a debit card). Many customers are often told that basic cards have run out off stock and they can only choose the PA card. In some cases, customers are not allowed to open an account if he or she is not willing to subscribe to ATM service and pay the card fees.

Edited by Suradit69

I NEVER pay Thai bank fees anymore and I move money from outside the country to in and around inside the country. I get the best possible exchange rate. You don't have to pay the damned fees if you do your homework and open the right kind of accounts, both here and abroad.

I NEVER pay Thai bank fees anymore and I move money from outside the country to in and around inside the country. I get the best possible exchange rate. You don't have to pay the damned fees if you do your homework and open the right kind of accounts, both here and abroad.

Interesting. Would you please mind explaining how?