NBTC grants THAI Wi-Fi on-board license

webfact

NBTC grants THAI Wi-Fi on-board license

194607-imagepng-288930-1-wpcf_728x413.jp

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has granted Type 1 wireless license to Thai Airways International (THAI) to provide WiFi service on board its new fleet of wide-body aircraft.

Type 1 license is granted only to applicant without its own network.

NBTC said it agreed Wednesday to allow THAI to offer Type 1 wireless LAN unit using the 2.4 GHz spectrum for the service.

THAI has long sought to provide in-flight WiFi service on 13 of its new air aircraft – six A380-800 super jumbos and seven A330-300s.

WiFi is one of the perks that most flag carriers are touting to lure back passengers who are increasing turning to airlines with innovative appeals, particularly broadband connectivity.

THAI first applied for the license to provide both in-flight WiFi and GSM 1800 phone services in 2011. While the license has been granted for WiFi, the NBTC has yet to rule on whether the carrier can offer on-board mobile voice service.

Earlier NBTC deputy secretary-general Korkij Danchaivachit said that if THAI gets its broadband system up and running in 2014, it will become Asia’s sixth carrier to offer WiFi connectivity.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbtc-grants-thai-wifi-board-license/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-20

So we are sitting next to people playing mindless games. And have to hear there kind of music. To me it sounds like a nightmare!

Indeed.....Hmm wifi so everyone will bring their own phone pad etc, thinking about Thai logic....I suppose it saves upgrading the aging fleet!

• Like 2

passengers can now use onboard any electronic equipment - laptops, music players, tablets. That's on top of a personal entertainment system. With wifi they will have an internet. I don't see more noise and disruption, than it's now

Fantastic! As long as they make the use of headphones mandatory for the users...

All flyers with Thai have to check before you fly if they are using A380 or A330-300s. These few Aircraft are a small % of their fleet, as they stated only on the 2 types of aircraft.

Agree with you nothing worse than trying to relax when next to you someone is on the phone OR----

Fantastic! As long as they make the use of headphones mandatory for the users...

All flyers with Thai have to check before you fly if they are using A380 or A330-300s. These few Aircraft are a small % of their fleet, as they stated only on the 2 types of aircraft.

Agree with you nothing worse than trying to relax when next to you someone is on the phone OR----

One of the things I like about flying is being able to escape phone and internet for a while!!

• Like 2

clockman, on 20 Dec 2013 - 11:01, said:

So we are sitting next to people playing mindless games. And have to hear there kind of music. To me it sounds like a nightmare!

It seems you haven't noticed ....this is 2013 going to 2014.

Things have changed from when you were young.

Try to keep up......not all is so bad.

About time Thai Airwaysclap2.gif

clockman, on 20 Dec 2013 - 11:01, said:

It seems you haven't noticed ....this is 2013 going to 2014.

Things have changed from when you were young.

Try to keep up......not all is so bad.

About time Thai Airwaysclap2.gif

Yes, it's 2014, and noise seems to increase, especially so in Thailand. Given that few can use a mobile phone and speak normally, I loathe it when someone on the bus or train starts shouting at their beloved, like a Chinese family eating out together. Chaos!

Thank heavens that in some countries it is considered impolite to use a mobile phone in public, and others have quiet coaches on trains. AirAsia already has seats set aside as 'quiet zones', and I'll continue to use these and certainly avoid an airline which supports the 'gotta have wi-fi' addiction.

I see no reason to equate 'progress' with increasing noise.

Many of the younger generation have hearing problems from excessive volume on their headphones or earplugs - no need to inflict it on others thank you.

Hmmm, will they have to photocopy your passport and limit you to 1hr use as in Swampy?

SQ had this facility in business class on 747's years ago, excellent for passing the time on a long haul flight. SQ used Conexion by Boing, however Boing pulled the service partially due to security concerns post 9/11

You ever heard of HEADPHONES rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Noise reducing headphones at that.

How has wifi suddenly NOT become an interference problem with navaids.

Reverse of how smoking suddenly became a hazard, though I don't remember any accidents attributed to smoking.

Of course, flight deck can do it...

Who are the jokers who think you need Internet to play music, movies or games on a mobile device? Were you sleeping when they invented the headphones, Walkman, Ipod or laptop computer?

I'm writing this with my Internet on and guess what, the Internet doesn't make a sound.

Flights won't get more annoying than they already are, with babies screaming and hyperactive kids kicking the back of your seat.

My guess is: European hotel level rates, like a $/minute and perhaps a $100 flat rate.

• Like 1

internet seems to start to be like smoking

people cannot get without for a few hours?

i hope BIG roaming costs will stop some people

in the past, you always had some <deleted> on the plane, who , in the middle of the night, would put on the reading light disturbing you from sleeping or resting a little bit

Lighten up Gramps. It's 2013. The internet is here to stay.

Here's an idea. Play your own mindless games or music through your own headphones.

With We Chat and Line being phone over wi-fi, we are now going to have people having phone conversations that we must listen to. There are going to be in flight murders. They need to also provide a phone booth, or a "cone of silence" like in Get Smart.

If the ADSL is good people will be able to call any where in the world at very low prices via VOIP.

Latency is more important than bandwidth when it comes to VoIP.

Plus, it is trivial to block SIP traffic - already tons of EU carriers do to force their clients to use their network to make ovepriced phone calls instead of the virtually free voip calling.