Cold snap kills in Thailand's North

webfact

Special Report:
Cold snap kills in Thailand’s North

BANGKOK: -- The cold weather has claimed another victim after a 68-year-old man was found dead in his home in Buriram province.

Police believe the man had died from the sudden drop in temperature, which reached 13 degrees Celsius on December 19 in many areas of the province.

Uttaradit provincial authorities earlier reported that two people have been killed by the cold weather. Local officials said residents have been struggling to cope with winter temperatures, which dropped to 9 degrees Celsius. Two elderly locals who have been suffering from asthma attacks died as a result of the sudden heat drop.

Chiang Mai's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department Office has declared Omkoi and Fang districts as disaster zones during the ongoing cold spell. Temperatures in the region would drop by about 4-7 degrees Celsius. Doi Inthanon, the highest peak in the country, saw the lowest temperatures and frost on the mountainside.

There have been wild speculations that the kingdom could soon witness snow falling in the northern region following a sharp drop in temperatures across the country and surprising snowfalls in Egypt and Vietnam in the past few days. Meteorological experts however have ruled out the possibility, saying the low altitude of most of the country would not permit it.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra called a meeting of provincial governors this week to address the cold and drought problems afflicting a combined 20 provinces, instructing governors to plan responses based on past experiences.

The government has so far declared 65 provinces as disaster zones. The Government is now handing out free warm clothing and winter blankets to chilly residents, and any province which has more than three consecutive days of sub 15C temperatures can apply for emergency funding.

The Meteorological Department has forecast that the cold spell will last until at least the New Year's day due to a strong high pressure front from China.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-20 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold spell to continue till New Year

cold-spell-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Meteorological Department said Thailand will experience dropping temperatures until New Year.

It said that currently, the cold spell is blanketing the upper part of the country while a new round of high pressure system is also moving down to strengthen the existing cold spell from December 21-22.

The arrival of the new high pressure system will lower the existing temperature till the end of this year and the start of the New Year.

Meanwhile the northeasterly monsoon is also strengthened in the Gulf of Thailand and the South thus causing rains in the lower southern region.

It warns fishermen of strong winds and rough sea in the lower part of the Gulf during the period.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cold-spell-continue-till-new-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-20

What do snowfalls in Egypt have to do with the weather in Thailand?! Egypt is in a completely different part of the world. Northern Laos, Phongsaly province namely, experienced snowfalls, as did Sapa and surrounding regions of Vietnam as well as much of the higher elevation areas of Yunnan in China, including Kunming. Although snow is not too common in any of these areas, snow flurries can and do occur most winters at least.

Call me ignorant but I find it hard to believe that anyone could die from being exposed to the so-called frigid temperature of 13 degrees Celsius! Unless of course the person in question was already very weak due to some pre-existing illness, which is most likely - although I have never heard of anyone in the west dying after being exposed to 13 degrees. Admittedly, I find 13 degrees a bit cool too, but it's hardly like we're talking about frostbite like conditions. A warm blanket is all you need and you'll be fine. Not only that, but it's normal for temperatures to drop to the low teens this time of year in northern provinces like the one mentioned. It happens every year.

I think it's a combo of cold, damp and ill health Tom(etc) Lung infections brought about by damp and cold can (and it seems are) be lethal and if the person hasn't got the funds for medication it's not going to get better quickly

• Like 2

Call me ignorant but I find it hard to believe that anyone could die from being exposed to the so-called frigid temperature of 13 degrees Celsius! Unless of course the person in question was already very weak due to some pre-existing illness, which is most likely - although I have never heard of anyone in the west dying after being exposed to 13 degrees. Admittedly, I find 13 degrees a bit cool too, but it's hardly like we're talking about frostbite like conditions. A warm blanket is all you need and you'll be fine. Not only that, but it's normal for temperatures to drop to the low teens this time of year in northern provinces like the one mentioned. It happens every year.

It is not the tempurature that kills and if you read closely it kinda explains it. It is the "Sudden" drop of temperature that does it. Yes it effects the elderly more and also children. Also a warm blanket is NOT all you need.

The Hilltribe people have decent winter clothes but to assume just because the temperatures drop every year that every fammily has a place where they save and store their warm cloths etc.

You try living on 5000 baht per month or being a farmer and see if YOU can afford warm clothes to keep around.

It is a terrable feeling to be freezing. I know, I'm Canadian

Nice to hear from another kind-hearted Canadian. My province (state) in America was Pennsylvania, and shares Lake Erie with Canada.

Many years back a Canadian family brought supplies to a flooded Johnstown, a literal truckload of canned goods, medicine and clothing.

Even now, many shops have signs in their windows that say "Canadians are Very Welcome Here".

thumbsup.gif

On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me three french toast, two turtlenecks and a beer............ Merry Christmas!

You mean Merry Christmas eh !

Lol thanks.

I wouldn't say ignorant, but maybe not informed to the max. People with thin blood and thick blood are suited for the climate that determined the viscosity. Still with me? OK, then the immune system and free oxygen/blood levels and metabolic system and the lymphatic system, all factor in as to who freezes easy or dies of heat stroke easy. There.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/hypocold.shtml

"Any temperature less than 98.6 degrees can be linked to hypothermia (ex. hypothermia in the elderly in cold houses) or peripheral circulation problems such as trench foot and frostbite.

Wear your woollies, snuggle under a couple of blankets drink something hot before going to bed.

Save your rarely used winter clothes/bedding for the next cold snap later in the year or next year.

18c at night here, sleep with the window wind open, on top of the covers. I like it cool but

I am used to it. But I do understand Thais are not acclimated to it and older people will suffer

greatly. Just need to be a little more organized.

It is not the tempurature that kills and if you read closely it kinda explains it. It is the "Sudden" drop of temperature that does it. Yes it effects the elderly more and also children. Also a warm blanket is NOT all you need.

The Hilltribe people have decent winter clothes but to assume just because the temperatures drop every year that every fammily has a place where they save and store their warm cloths etc.

You try living on 5000 baht per month or being a farmer and see if YOU can afford warm clothes to keep around.

So if they get handed free blankets and warm clothes every year when it gets cold, but they can't afford to keep them, whom do they sell them to every year?

• Like 1

Australian ABC News via Australia Network ran a story tonight about the "Cold Snap in Northern Thailand."

Main point was that many of the Dogs that were rescued from the "Dog Meat Traders" could now die of the cold at their shelter unless the Public assists with donations.

Sounds like a worthwhile cause!!

Do not suppose many houses in Thailand have a fireplace or central heating.

But then Thai's do not have to spend 10 minutes or so de-icing the cars in a morning.sad.png

I suppose the important thing is to make sure all the old people have plenty of warm cloths, maybe a good sleeping bag as well.

Remember the annual blanket collection thread on ThaiVisa? Eventually people complained and said, "What happened to the blankets they were given last year?"

I guess they don't do blanket collections anymore, or don't advertise it in English anymore.

Do not suppose many houses in Thailand have a fireplace or central heating.

But then Thai's do not have to spend 10 minutes or so de-icing the cars in a morning.sad.png

I suppose the important thing is to make sure all the old people have plenty of warm cloths, maybe a good sleeping bag as well.

I have not noticed too many heaters in cars either altho i haven't been in that many Mercs or Maseratis recently . Most of the Thai built cars and pick-ups don't have them as it is regarded they don't need them .

Edited by xen

I shouldn't pass judgement on this particular case but alcohol , especially some of that Thai whiskey in particular , could be quite lethal inside the system in cold snaps. Deaths of the homeless in the inner city always rises in winter , particularly if they are drinkers.

• Like 1

I won't call you ignorant but Thai people have an aversion to cold weather,if you live here for a while you will understand that.It happens every winter and sadly many deaths.

You may also notice that Thais have a tolerance for extreme hot weather which we ,as foreigners don't. My wife hardly raises a sweat when exercising even the temp might be 35 plus.

Sadly also many blankets etc that are shipped north in the winter, only to disappear, maybe sold when the warm weather arrives.

You just can't compare West with here and in the mountain ranges it can get down to 0 degrees on a regular basis. Doi Ithanon was 3 degrees last week.

• Like 1

Remember the annual blanket collection thread on ThaiVisa? Eventually people complained and said, "What happened to the blankets they were given last year?"

I guess they don't do blanket collections anymore, or don't advertise it in English anymore.

Probably get sold when the warm weather arrives....it has been reported.