Trang.....safe place to live?

F4UCorsair

I'd like to hear from any expats living down Trang way.

It's quite close to the area affected by Islamic insurgents, so does that impact on your life in any way? Do you put in place any safeguards or strategies to stay safe.....if it fact you think it's dangerous.

It looks like a very pretty part of Thailand, and one I may consider when I make the move, so any information would be welcome..

In fact it's quite far away from the insurgents in the south (at least 150-200kms farther north). It's a lovely place to live according to some friends. I used to work there and commute over. I do regret not living there though.

I'm not sure about houses near the sea but there's plenty of choices for rentals in the town centre and nearby.

It's quite close to the area affected by Islamic insurgents, so does that impact on your life in any way? Do you put in place any safeguards or strategies to stay safe.....if it fact you think it's dangerous.

Not in the slightest, it's far away and I've never heard of any trouble in Trang in this regard. So no, no special safeguards taken - though we do live in a secured village, so our guard is perhaps more down than most.

The town doesn't feel like a dangerous place to me at all, generally a very friendly place.

Actually, as far as the town goes, its more Chinese than Muslim. Its famous for its pork and cakes in addition to the Dungons.

It's a pretty boring life down there unless you have real plans. There is a vogue dept store, Tesco, not much in the way of entertainment.

I used to live halfway between Trang & Krabi, I found Krabi and Trang to be lacking anything slightly outside the Thai universe so you might need to travel to Hat Yai or Phuket once a month for supplies, which becomes a chore after a while.

Just a suggestion, but have you thought of the other coast, somewhere on the coast between Pattalung and Songkhla ? I have been running around on the bike down there recently, seems quite nice, some nice beaches, your pretty much going to be the only westerner around but still close enough to enjoy the western comforts provided in Songkhla and Hat Yai.

Edited by recom273

Actually, as far as the town goes, its more Chinese than Muslim. Its famous for its pork and cakes in addition to the Dungons.

It's a pretty boring life down there unless you have real plans. There is a vogue dept store, Tesco, not much in the way of entertainment.

I used to live halfway between Trang & Krabi, I found Krabi and Trang to be lacking anything slightly outside the Thai universe so you might need to travel to Hat Yai or Phuket once a month for supplies, which becomes a chore after a while.

Just a suggestion, but have you thought of the other coast, somewhere on the coast between Pattalung and Songkhla ? I have been running around on the bike down there recently, seems quite nice, some nice beaches, your pretty much going to be the only westerner around but still close enough to enjoy the western comforts provided in Songkhla and Hat Yai.

Have to agree, it's a nice place, but there isn't the balance of Western and Thai that I would personally prefer. There is a Tops which has staple western stuff, but nowhere to get good cheeses and cooked meats, for example. There is a Makro here but it is missing loads of lines that are stocked in Phuket, Samui and even Krabi.

Unfortunately it seems even there loads of the western lines went on extreme sale recently, I bought ten bags of Lavazza beans for 50 baht a pop, boxes of PG Tips for similar, I stocked up on loads of stuff however I say unfortunate since it appears to be an end of line sale.

There are a few small independent western restaurants, and a couple of bars that foreigners frequent, but the town is much more Thai oriented than other destinations. Perhaps because the town is inland.

This may not bother the OP but it is worth mentioning. It's the only real downside for me, and part of the reason why we will move away next year.

Sorry, I didnt want to mislead anyone there, glad to hear things have kicked up a bit. Thinking back I think there was always a Tops there.

Yeah, 'balance' that sums it up quite nicely ..

The restaurants / bars you are talking about are the ones just outside the railway station or are there others in town.

If you need regular fixes of exotic cheeses then you're best to stay in Bangkok.

I live in Hat Yai and my cheese options are pretty much limited to NZ Cheddar, Gouda and Edam. Tops often has some brie, Camembert and Danish blue but they're usually over-ripe and over-over-priced. If I want something different I have to pick it up in Bangkok.

Trang is quite safe. You might die of boredom though. If you can live a Thai life, you could be happy. There is a lot to do nature wise, great place to be based. Loads of waterfalls and short trips to a number of Thailsnds best islands. The pace is slow, that is good if you have a motorbike. The town is both charming and charmless. The market has great pork and seafood. Trang also has a huge fruit market ascwell as a train station. I can't comment on dental or hospital services. The night market tends to be touristy and overpriced. It is a bit too far inland for me. Oh, new bus station and minibus into town is frequent and cheap.

I enjoy the city when I am there. It is a great jumping off point to the islands.

I'm unaware of any farang bar scene such has in HH. Plenty of st hotels and nonsense. With lack of farang, imagine your visits to immigration less hassled.