Foreign confidence remains despite protests: Tourism Council of Thailand

webfact

TOURISM
Foreign confidence remains despite protests: TCT

The Nation

30222571-01_big.jpg
Tourism Council of Thailand president Piyaman Tejapaibul

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Council of Thailand president Piyaman Tejapaibul foresees the continued increase in tourist arrivals and tourism revenue in 2014 despite political chaos.

The council estimates the Kingdom would welcome 29.92 million foreign visitors in 2014.

The number shows an increase of 12.1 per cent from this year, when Thailand should welcome a total of 26.69 million visitor arrivals.

Tourism revenue should rise by 18 per cent from Bt1.16 trillion to Bt1.35 trillion.

"This reflects the continued growth in the Thai tourism industry, despite continued protests. It showed sustained confidence among foreign travellers," she said.

In the first 11 months of this year, Thailand showed an 11 per cent increase in visitor arrivals.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-20

Pick a number.... yeah any number.

it's dead here in Phuket; still a few Chinese wondering all over the roads but apart from that it's like a ghost town. I wonder if they'll ever wake up to the realities of why tourists are avoiding Thailand?

Nothing draws foriegners better than threatening to seize embassies, just ask anyone from Beirut....

cheesy.gif

On a serious note (insert f# in the key of g).

• Like 1

As is typical, believe everything negative, put down everything positive. Not really sure what the numbers

are. Should be easy to come up with them from immigration. Everyone passes through the gates. Often

plenty of complaints about the lineups. However governments do lie. Just look at the Greek/ Iceland numbers

before the crisis. American government about surveillance programs. Believe or don't believe it will not change

things. Some places are very busy on my visits about town, others are less busy. I have not seen any

that were dead as I see in the off season.

It is definitely a lot less busy here in Chiang Mai than it was last year. It's been quite ever since Loy Krathong wrapped up. Local vendors I talk to say the same...sales are down. And one of my friends who is coming to visit next week had apprehensions (mostly due to their parents saying they shouldn't go to Thailand). But no.... all is well and good...nothing to see here.