Military must choose 'the side of righteousness' say retired officers

Lite Beer

Thai politics are in stalemate. If something must change it can only come from the army. How, I don't know. But with the present course Thai national debt is building up rapidly. And if the shina-plans of borrowing trillions go ahead, each Thai will be paying extra for decades

• Like 2

Unfortunately, because Thai politicians insist on behaving like school kids, and while most look apon coups as the wrong way to go. It is a sad reality that a coup seems the only way to bring the brats to the table to talk.

Thailand can only hope, should that happen, that this time they get the constitution reforms right, and put an end to corrupt politicians and their lackies, puppets and puppet masters!

well school kids....considering the 3000 people Thaksins "war against drugs" from which half had nothing to do with drugs (according to the police, so it might be even more).....

That's not kids stuff....

Thanks, you sort of proved my point. While everyone is blaming the other for past wrongs and accusations of miss deeds, there is no resolving the current issues. All the blame game does is perpetuate what went before, That could be what the politicians want? but it will not solve the problems the country faces.

I am not saying they should be let off without paying for their miss deeds. But then they shouldn't be allowed to be politicians in the first place. Whence my view is they are like a bunch of school kids because they can't even behave in a mature way. The fact that they make statements without actually knowing what the law is shows just how pathetic they are. I refer to the comments made by yingluck about whether the election can be put off or not.

In any other country the PM would make sure they knew the answer before even making a comment, they wouldn't say " I have to ask academics and lawyers".

In any other country the PM would make sure they knew the answer before even making a comment, they wouldn't say " I have to ask academics and lawyers".

In the US, the President would say "That is up to the Supreme Court", or "You would have to ask the US Attorney General about that". You are not correct that in any other country the leader would have the answers to every question, nor would you want them to think so.

The nilitary (collectively) should not be choosing a side.

Of course the military individuals can choose.

The beauty (or not) of democracy is that the vote of the Private is equal to the vote of the General. :)

I see Alwyn basically just beat me to this.

Unfortunately, because Thai politicians insist on behaving like school kids, and while most look apon coups as the wrong way to go. It is a sad reality that a coup seems the only way to bring the brats to the table to talk.

Thailand can only hope, should that happen, that this time they get the constitution reforms right, and put an end to corrupt politicians and their lackies, puppets and puppet masters!

well school kids....considering the 3000 people Thaksins "war against drugs" from which half had nothing to do with drugs (according to the police, so it might be even more).....

That's not kids stuff....

Thanks, you sort of proved my point. While everyone is blaming the other for past wrongs and accusations of miss deeds, there is no resolving the current issues. All the blame game does is perpetuate what went before, That could be what the politicians want? but it will not solve the problems the country faces.

I am not saying they should be let off without paying for their miss deeds. But then they shouldn't be allowed to be politicians in the first place. Whence my view is they are like a bunch of school kids because they can't even behave in a mature way. The fact that they make statements without actually knowing what the law is shows just how pathetic they are. I refer to the comments made by yingluck about whether the election can be put off or not.

In the US, the President would say "That is up to the Supreme Court", or "You would have to ask the US Attorney General about that". You are not correct that in any other country the leader would have the answers to every question, nor would you want them to think so.

Well they have a habit of electing idiots as well! Reagan, Bush, etc so hardly a fair comparison!

"Righteousness"...open to interpretation:

“More evil gets done in the name of righteousness than any other way.”
Glen Cook, Dreams of Steel

“Angels have very nasty tempers. Especially when they’re feeling righteous.”
Clive Barker, Mister B. Gone

“Condemning others as bad or sinful is a way to feel righteous. Such a feeling is a powerful mood alteration and can become highly addictive.”
John Bradshaw, Healing the Shame that Binds You

“Watch the too indignantly righteous. Before long you will find them committing or condoning the very offence which they have so fiercely censured.”
Śrī Aurobindo

“Despotism despises nothing so much as righteousness in its victims”
Gregory David Roberts, Shantaram

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"

- King James Bible (Romans 3:10)

I am often filled with wrongeous indignation.

Would someone please explain to these armchair warriors (retired or not) that the military has no place in political opinion nor should they be allowed to spend special budgets without oversight so that the public can have some confidence that the things they buy just might work.

Would someone please explain to these armchair warriors (retired or not) that the military has no place in political opinion nor should they be allowed to spend special budgets without oversight so that the public can have some confidence that the things they buy just might work.

am afraid this will NEVER happen..... T i T whistling.gif

• 2 months later...

Well the military have chosen the side of righteousness today.

Democracy intertwined with reform or an accused terrorist forming the largest armed street gang in history to disrespect the rule of law.

Easy chose really.

well righteousness is keeping out of politics, supporting democracy and against Suthep's evil fascist dream

The PTP are 1/15th democratic. They adhere to "elections" and even that is only observed because it was proven through the 2.2 trillion baht infrastructure bill that voting can be manipulated. Through their actions they abhor all the other principles of democracy. This is fact. It is proven. It cannot be denied.

Now staying on this train of thought, I am 1/15th Irish. I know nothing about Ireland's history, culture or heritage. I know a few Irish jokes, but that's where my understanding of Ireland ceases.

Because I am 1/15th Irish does not make me an expert on Ireland. Because the PTP are 1/15th democratic does not mean they are an expert on democracy.

If you reply, I thank you in advance for not belittling me, demonizing me or following a default PTP supporters trademark of swapping "facts" with "beliefs" to argue a case.

Happy St Patrick's day to you then Jamie ;)

Would it then be fair to say that you're 0% Thai and therefore know 0% about Thai culture or Thai ways of thinking? tongue.png

The PTP are morons, there needs to be a change, it's how the other parties go about convincing the PTP followers that's going to be a challenge and a half when they've spent half their time insulting them and calling them stupid, ignorant and have done enough to belittle them at every given opportunity.

Is there really anyone out there that has the Balls to go to the North East and Issan, and get these red "buffaloes" to change their train of thought mate and convince them that voting against the PTP IS the only step forwards??

3 months after those former brasses spoke against democracy, many yellows turned back on protesting. Those remaining at Lumpini are minute, many of them paid as armed goons or protest staff. They are training as militia, drills, uniforms, structure. Lumpini now is a no no for public.

that's why army is stepping in, with 168 bunkers around the town centre, with thousands soldiers not armed now, but ready for action.