Expats' view on political chaos in Thailand

webfact

Obviously it would have been dificult for foreigners to voice their real opinion of Thai politics! But I wonder if this comment may be the closest to the possible outcome of events?

"In terms of democracy, Thailand has had its Constitution for only 81 years. If you look at my country, America, we got the constitution in 1787 - 81 years later we were facing civil war. That gives you some idea of an advancement."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farang don't even have the right to vote.

They don't need it. The foreign investors can fire all of their Thai employees, close down their business and take their money elsewhere. They have that right at least

Elsewhere? Like Bangladesh? More than welcome.

Good that they point out all the damage to the economy from the protests!

Weird that "educated Thai people" following Sutheep are OK with all this damage done to the economy,

which mainly will hurt poorer parts of the population working in factories and in tourism,

in return for vague plans of a non-elected council of "wise men" to run the country.

Have not heard a single make-sense or concrete plan for reducing corruption so far.

You would think people in both political parties know a lot about the nitty-gritty details of corruption and abuse of power here, or not?

Perhaps I need to be enlightened. OK, the reds are corrupt power-abusers, I agree, but where's the "clean" alternative?

No wonder embassies and experts can't really support the goals of the demonstrators.

Edited by blokker
  • Like 2

The view from outside should be taken seriously ,the trouble with Thailand is that it always tends to look inward, when something is commented on they all come out of the wood work, you want to be a member of the world , well start listening , learning , you call yourself a democracy , want to bet on that., you are so far off the mark its funny , but I admit entertaining.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

All comes back to face, doesn't it, and the education of Thais as a supreme society. If they listened to anybody else it would be like challenging the accepted notion of their superiority. Over what? Ooops, not allowed to ask questions. They are so special that even their electricity is different and doesn'r require earth. Just look at the expert wiring along street poles and flyovers in BKK. But, you are right, it is entertaining.

• Like 1

Why is the president of the Thai-Finnish Chamber of Commerce from the United States?

I always wonder that too...every time I see this guy quoted in the news lately, and he seems to go out of his way talking about the U.S. And I say that as an American...

Shouldn't he be talking a bit more about Finland???

• Like 1

Obviously it would have been dificult for foreigners to voice their real opinion of Thai politics! But I wonder if this comment may be the closest to the possible outcome of events?

"In terms of democracy, Thailand has had its Constitution for only 81 years. If you look at my country, America, we got the constitution in 1787 - 81 years later we were facing civil war. That gives you some idea of an advancement."

North vs. the South all over again??? 150 years later in Asia???

Motto will be..."Free the MONEY!!!!" tongue.png

• Like 2

North vs. the South all over again??? 150 years later in Asia???

Motto will be..."Free the MONEY!!!!" tongue.png

"One Nation Under Baht."

• Like 2

Weird that "educated Thai people" following Sutheep are OK with all this damage done to the economy,

which mainly will hurt poorer parts of the population working in factories and in tourism,

in return for vague plans of a non-elected council of "wise men" to run the country.

Have not heard a single make-sense or concrete plan for reducing corruption so far.

You would think people in both political parties know a lot about the nitty-gritty details of corruption and abuse of power here, or not?

Perhaps I need to be enlightened. OK, the reds are corrupt power-abusers, I agree, but where's the "clean" alternative?

No wonder embassies and experts can't really support the goals of the demonstrators.

The protests are said to have coat the economy 70 billion baht. The rice scheme alone has already cost 500 billion baht.

That's one reason "educated people" are following Suthep.

Sent from my phone ...

• Like 2

They have the right to vote with their feet though and with their investment capital.

If the Japanese really start to relocate manufacturing elsewhere, that's the big warning signal.

• Like 1

Nice observation.

So for all those who think civil war is unlikely, think again.

The country is already totally split between north and south.

Also after the civil was the Americans entered a period of corruption that would make Thailand look honest.

The protests are said to have coat the economy 70 billion baht. The rice scheme alone has already cost 500 billion baht.

Sent from my phone ...

If I might add my two baht worth here.

They are educated meaning they are not mindless they are looking to make a better future.

Such is not the case with the PTP or their allies the red shirts. They live in a grab all you can today and damn the future attitude.

I have heard of this so called

"vague plans of a non-elected council of "wise men" to run the country."

But what I am under the understanding of is they are to continue the running of the country but their real purpose is to make reasonably plans for reform in the country and then hold an election.

To find the people to do this will be the big problem. In my opinion leaders in business should also be a part of it. Also there are some academics who have there feet on the ground unlike many of their colleagues who have there head in the sky.

Politicians who tell lies and claim it is OK and the people who support them should be kept for away from the council except to testify.

There are honest men in politics and I believe there is one man in a position to not only know some of them but respected enough that his recommendations would be taken very seriously by all Thais.

Now we are just waiting for Benito Sutheppi's sheeps to gather outside the Swiss Embassy, to protest against Mr von der Luehe's support of a general election! whistling.gif

Actually, Nandor said that he supported the decision to dissolve parliament.

Sent from my phone ...

You forgot the end of his statement, unsuprisingly. What he said was " It's the right step in the right direction for the prime minister to dissolve the House for a new general election."

As Soi41 said, Mr von der Luehe's support of a general election.

And "Sutheps sheep" have already shown themselves as not fond supporters of the democratic parliamentary election process.

Sorry, you were saying..........?

• Like 1

Kasit said "Foreigners shut up"......Suthep said "I don't respect the foreigners".... Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is this long tradition of Asian authoritarianism that has been a major cultural stumbling block to democracy where everyone's voice gets to be heard....

Edited by arend
  • Like 2

Sent from my phone ...

Thanks. Good point!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/11/12/uk-imf-thailand-idUKBRE9AB02B20131112

But how will the red shirt voters ever learn that the Thaksin populist policies don't work in the long run,

if the red governments are always prematurely janked out by the courts, the army and/or some mob?

Both Thaksin's power hunger, and these yellow mob protesters who call North-East voters "buffalos" are splitting the country at the regional seams ...

Thailand is now a country where the prime minister has to hide in a military base from the mobs (both Yingluck and Abhisit had to do so),

and cannot visit parts of the country. Imagine Abhisit protesting on the streets of Chiang Mai or Ubon,

or Yingluck visiting the hometown of Sutheep in the south....

Less confrontation and more rule of law seems the only way out, but Sutheep seems to be doing the exact opposite. ???

• Like 1

Its alot worse then you think... Many western companies have commenced bailing out over the last year. Effects of this are already seen and the people at BOI are very aware of it. Investment in Thailand is dropping faster then they can count it. Add to this currency is over valued and the bubble is about to bust. A single run on a Thai Bank will cause the whole system to fall and not in a small way. Can you imagine the look on the faces when they close a Bank and stop refilling the ATM's? If you know anybody at Bangkok Bank then ask them about it as they have plans in place ready to close first sign of a run on the Bank. If the Mob all went to the Bank and took out cash it would not have enough cash on hand to keep up with more then 2 days of that before it would have to close its doors. Add to this the Government is not paying its own bills and yet still telling its Tax collectors to chase money from anybody that has some. How can people in Issan who have not been paid for the rice for over 6 month be then told they still have to pay tax reguardless?

If you cant see whats coming you are blind! Businesses are already closing down in what should be the high seasion.

• Like 1

Its alot worse then you think... Many western companies have commenced bailing out over the last year. Effects of this are already seen and the people at BOI are very aware of it. Investment in Thailand is dropping faster then they can count it. Add to this currency is over valued and the bubble is about to bust. A single run on a Thai Bank will cause the whole system to fall and not in a small way. Can you imagine the look on the faces when they close a Bank and stop refilling the ATM's? If you know anybody at Bangkok Bank then ask them about it as they have plans in place ready to close first sign of a run on the Bank. If the Mob all went to the Bank and took out cash it would not have enough cash on hand to keep up with more then 2 days of that before it would have to close its doors. Add to this the Government is not paying its own bills and yet still telling its Tax collectors to chase money from anybody that has some. How can people in Issan who have not been paid for the rice for over 6 month be then told they still have to pay tax reguardless?

If you cant see whats coming you are blind! Businesses are already closing down in what should be the high seasion.

Some excellent points many expats should take note of. Bank runs. Don't think your money will be protected by some central bank/government guarantee scheme.

I've fitted a safe in the house and without getting all 'prepper'ish' I do think that keeping a big wedge available is a good idea. If you can keep paws off it that is.

Safes' are actually quite cheap here. Probably because they're very popular.

• Like 2

Sent from my phone ...

If I might add my two baht worth here.

They are educated meaning they are not mindless they are looking to make a better future.

Such is not the case with the PTP or their allies the red shirts. They live in a grab all you can today and dam_n the future attitude.

I have heard of this so called

"vague plans of a non-elected council of "wise men" to run the country."

But what I am under the understanding of is they are to continue the running of the country but their real purpose is to make reasonably plans for reform in the country and then hold an election.

To find the people to do this will be the big problem. In my opinion leaders in business should also be a part of it. Also there are some academics who have there feet on the ground unlike many of their colleagues who have there head in the sky.

Politicians who tell lies and claim it is OK and the people who support them should be kept for away from the council except to testify.

There are honest men in politics and I believe there is one man in a position to not only know some of them but respected enough that his recommendations would be taken very seriously by all Thais.

Thanks! That would be great, if they could find those "good men" to reform the country.

But, as a counter-argument: didn't the army and their government of wise men already had a chance to do that in 2006,

and then Abhisit & Sutheep themselves in 2008-2011?

What will make the attempt of reform better, or more successful this time?

Perhaps that's the reason the army is on the sidelines now; because they messed it up before.

PS: No insult intended. Just raising some questions for debate.

I think everyone is missing the point here. These political problems that are bringing the country to it,s knees have nothing to do with who can or cannot vote. It is all about one man,s insatiable greed for money and power, and the fact that more and more people are beginning to realise this.

I think everyone is missing the point here. These political problems that are bringing the country to it,s knees have nothing to do with who can or cannot vote. It is all about one man,s insatiable greed for money and power, and the fact that more and more people are beginning to realise this.

For my two-pennarth, I think that quite a few Thais "realised" this, but never had a voice loud enough to shout about it!

The ignorance of people like Suthep is why the country is slowly declining. Maybe its about time some of these people took advice from farangs who come from prosperous democratic countries. Unlike Thai politics, which is basically a joke. Ever heard of a Thai winning a Nobel prize for anything. Very few. Could be seen as a measure of this countries brain power.

I sympathise with expats who find much of Thai culture alarmingly surreal but we do ourselves no favours expecting Thailand to function like a 'western democracy'.

The 'Asian collective', is a hugely diverse people with a long history and unrelated heritage to that of 'The West'. Applying the principles of western culture, democracy, intellectualism etc to Asia, is a fundamental mistake which can only serve to prolong frustration and incomprehension between us.

The Nobel prize may indeed be a worthy one, even if Alfred Nobel was the inventor of dynamite and armaments manufacturer. We should remember that when slapping ourselves on the back.

Thailand isn't looking to assimilate to the known world order and doesn't appear particularly interested to 'throw its weight around' internationally. Perhaps it need only 'embrace' foreign ideas a little more to 'fit in' better and avoid aggravating 'bar room politicians' in Pattaya.

But they are stakeholders in the Thai economy, so do have a right to have an opinion.

Sent from my phone ...

The right to have an opinion. Yes, of course.

But does anybody really believe these men will speak openly and frankly?

Of course not, they will just make fluffy comments, and the bottom line, they represent businessmen, many of whom couldn't care less about Thai politics, their only concern is revenue, market share and growth numbers.