An ordinary Thai's impression of us Westerners.

i claudius

It is not much effort or expense to wear clean shorts, an ironed collared shirt and a squirt

of cologne when I head out. 90% of those who wear a wife beater or a base ball hat turned backward

are fooling themselves if they think they can pull it off. Best left to those under 23 years old.

As long as your clothes are clean, don't stink, and not wobbly drunk and belligerent, your OK.

I try not to judge on appearance alone. wink.png

Seriously? Only a 23 year old can pull off wearing a tank top? (I consider the term "wife beater" insane and won't use it).... I live in them. Why? The answer is simple - climate. I look quite ok in one too thank you very much. I don't bust my guts in the gym for nothing.... there's plenty of us older folk who look just fine in them.

I can understand that if you're shy to expose your body you'll be getting around in (ironed) collared shirts. I save them for special occasions such as visiting the Immigration office or embassy.

Apart from that, all the gay boys really appreciate me in a tank top. The girls are mainly looking at wallets, so they don't notice.biggrin.png

• Like 1

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get a kick out of all the T V posters who for some reason think they have to dress fancy for the Thais

Indeed. It's a symptom of the delusions many suffer here, that no sooner are they popping a lass some years their junior, they suddenly become an 'ambassador'' for expats nationwide...

• Like 1

Thailand seems like a magnet for low-lives of the world.

Whenever I feel mistreated by Thais, I think of Pattaya farangs and I can almost see why they see us as walking ATMs only.

The only reason they tolerate us is money as there is nothing else we can offer to them. I would certainly ask for much more money to tolerate such guests in my country.

You agree that locals tolerate us only because we pay.

And knowing this, we somehow should respect them, and we should care what they think of us? What kind of sense does that make?

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm not in "Thais can do no wrong" camp. Of course the only reason we are allowed to stay here is money. We have to pay even to breathe air here.

Having said that, I have to admit that I can see why many Thais would feel negatively about farangs. It's not so much how people dress (I wear nothing but flip-flops, t-shirt and shorts) but their attitudes, behavior, manners or lack thereof. Even though I have nothing in common with those people (other than being same race), I can't help feeling embarrassed by their behavior and I would develop negative attitude towards foreigners too if they were to do things inappropriate in the local culture.

But is this really that different from how Germans feel about Turks, how Americans feel about Mexicans, how Brits feel about Indians? They tolerate them only because they do the work that local population won't do. Same, same, but different...

No doubt! Foreigners are often never liked in any country.

But there one nuance that makes Thailand very different..

Germans do not like Turks, who live and work in Germany. But most Germans are honest, and up front about. Same deal with Mexicans who live and work in US.

I feel sorry for newcomers, who have yet to learn the truth, and they often learn the lesson the hard way.

The phoney charade of fake smiles is what is uniquely Thai trait. It's the dishonest way they put up the show for us.

Id much rather be told, or let in to the fact, that most barely tolerate us. But they are not capable of being honest, that is another uniquely Thai trait.

So that is what makes me not care at all, what they think of me. I know what they think of me, but I dont let it bother me.

There is no snow here in winter time, and it is very cheap to live here, compared to Europe. But that is all.

Edited by valgehiir

I get a kick out of all the T V posters who for some reason think they have to dress fancy for the Thais

Indeed. It's a symptom of the delusions many suffer here, that no sooner are they popping a lass some years their junior, they suddenly become an 'ambassador'' for expats nationwide...

I'll go further - the phenomenon you describe seems to be limited to British and American expats. No excuse for the socks-and-sandals brigade (socks with crocs is even more unforgivable), but I dont waste my valuable time in Thailand obsessing over what others are wearing. How many Thais have you seen with a long-sleeved shirt, slacks and a pair of flip-flops or sandals ? It's as though they got dressed, went to the door to get their shoes only to find someone had stolen them. The only people who dress like that in Australia are either mentally ill or homeless, but I dont treat said Thais I encounter any differently simply because they arent wearing patent leather Italian shoes and a Fedora with a feather in the band. Its typical of this board that we have so many threads centred on our willingness to judge others for everything from their wardrobe to their sexual proclivities - might be time to loosen up a little.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

Was this pressed trousers and pressed shirt?

She may have had a different perception had she known the real you and your spelling abilities.

Whits wrong with my spooling ,i tipe fast .

No just an ordinary shirt and cheap trousers and horror of horror flip flops.

Maybe the woman was being sarcastic.

Do you know a Thai that understands how to be "sarcastic" my wife lived in the west 7 years ,even now she sometimes does not realise when i am being sarcastic.

So your wife doesn't understand sarcasm.

The woman was being sarcastic, your wife obviously did not pick up on that, and here you are, with your story of people complimenting you on wearing regular shorts and horror of horror flip flops.

By the way, I know a lot of Thais that can be pretty sarcastic and they're are not even that super well educated nor financially that well off, like your wife.

So maybe, if you did not need your wife to translate for you, you would pick up on some sarcasm among the Thais as well.

External appearance is very important to most Thais--especially the elderly. They do not really like or appreciate shorts and t-shirts, prefering to dress in what most of us consider to be extremely uncomfortable clothing. Thais, in general, are extemely conservative, which probably seems to be an odd statement for farangs who have never lived in the countryside. There are way too many disgusting, revolting, violence-loving, sick-in-the-head farangs in Pattaya-Jomtien that are giving the rest of us a bad reputation--many have shaved heads and loads of tatooes that make them look like they just escaped from prison. At best, I think most Thais see us as "strange outsiders" w/ "money." The girls tend to see us as walking ATM machines.

I keep my hair close to shaved and have a lot of tattoos - I also hold down a 340k p.a. job and am a law abiding , mainly quiet and content individual and far from sick in the head .

Beware of judging people by their appearance and jumping to ill conceived conclusions my friend.......by the way I agree with you about the behaviour of certain sections of faring society 100%.

Who gives a toss.

Well I certainly do, as would anyone else with the slightest pride in their appearance.

I cannot understand how anyone can go to a restaurant in a singlet, what is the harm of throwing on a comfortable dress shirt?

Its a sad fact that the worst dressed people in Bangkok and Pattaya are foreigners.

Old Blue Eyes would spin in his grave if he could see some of the scruffs (tramps) that pound the street of Thailand (and I am not talking about Thais).

Women wear sleevless blouses to a restuarant and i were a singlet,can you tell me the difference.My life,i choose.

Yes I can tell the difference between a woman dressing to go to a restaurant and a low life with no pride in his appearance or respect for other patrons of the restaurant.

External appearance is very important to most Thais--especially the elderly. They do not really like or appreciate shorts and t-shirts, prefering to dress in what most of us consider to be extremely uncomfortable clothing. Thais, in general, are extemely conservative, which probably seems to be an odd statement for farangs who have never lived in the countryside. There are way too many disgusting, revolting, violence-loving, sick-in-the-head farangs in Pattaya-Jomtien that are giving the rest of us a bad reputation--many have shaved heads and loads of tatooes that make them look like they just escaped from prison. At best, I think most Thais see us as "strange outsiders" w/ "money." The girls tend to see us as walking ATM machines.

I keep my hair close to shaved and have a lot of tattoos - I also hold down a 340k p.a. job and am a law abiding , mainly quiet and content individual and far from sick in the head .

Beware of judging people by their appearance and jumping to ill conceived conclusions my friend.......by the way I agree with you about the behaviour of certain sections of faring society 100%.

"faring" added as #17 to Naam's collections of "farang spelling" smile.png

• Like 1

It is not much effort or expense to wear clean shorts, an ironed collared shirt and a squirt

of cologne when I head out. 90% of those who wear a wife beater or a base ball hat turned backward

are fooling themselves if they think they can pull it off. Best left to those under 23 years old.

As long as your clothes are clean, don't stink, and not wobbly drunk and belligerent, your OK.

Seriously? Only a 23 year old can pull off wearing a tank top? (I consider the term "wife beater" insane and won't use it).... I live in them. Why? The answer is simple - climate. I look quite ok in one too thank you very much. I don't bust my guts in the gym for nothing.... there's plenty of us older folk who look just fine in them.

I can understand that if you're shy to expose your body you'll be getting around in (ironed) collared shirts. I save them for special occasions such as visiting the Immigration office or embassy.

Apart from that, all the gay boys really appreciate me in a tank top. The girls are mainly looking at wallets, so they don't notice.biggrin.png

Hate to burst the bubble,but i think the gay boys might just be looking at your wallet as wellbiggrin.png

• Like 1

I'll go further - the phenomenon you describe seems to be limited to British and American expats. No excuse for the socks-and-sandals brigade (socks with crocs is even more unforgivable), but I dont waste my valuable time in Thailand obsessing over what others are wearing. How many Thais have you seen with a long-sleeved shirt, slacks and a pair of flip-flops or sandals ? It's as though they got dressed, went to the door to get their shoes only to find someone had stolen them. The only people who dress like that in Australia are either mentally ill or homeless, but I dont treat said Thais I encounter any differently simply because they arent wearing patent leather Italian shoes and a Fedora with a feather in the band. Its typical of this board that we have so many threads centred on our willingness to judge others for everything from their wardrobe to their sexual proclivities - might be time to loosen up a little.

Thais are not required to wear a Fedora but i wouldn't dare to leave my home for a foot massage without a selection of pheasant feathers in my Fedora's band. on important holidays, such as "Billy the Kid Shot the Sheriff" or my wedding anniversary i wear peacock feathers.

She's judging only by superficial appearances. Any fool can wash up and put on some long pants. I judge this vendor to be not a deep thinker.

Oh come on Jingthing, i am sure you if not a deep thinker are at least an intelligent person ,judging by your posts ,even you must admit that half the dross that hangs around Pattaya look as if they were just released from a prison . doesnt it make you a little ashamed that even a poor working class Thai woman who has very little looks down on a large percentage of westerners here?

I could not agree more with you, i am always ashamed when i see western slobs, with their tats etc, usually half boozed hanging off a little lady of the street, and i wonder what the average thai thinks, even when they are used to seeing these people must feel some resentment to westerners coming here and behaving like this - i feel that i hope i am not looked on in the same way - so i always dress neatly when i go out - not hard to freshen up look presentable - but seems some dont give a damm - maybe that the way they act and behave back home and i wonder if they would be tolerated back home- dont think so. if thailand had a big cleanup of all the scum farang here and send them back home then perhaps this country might have a better reputation, dont see thais acting low class back in the villages - just being themselves

• Like 1

While waiting to order food at Au Bon Pain I witnessed an example why some American travelers aren't too fond of their fellow countrymen. I remember meeting a lot of backpackers in Europe from the US with Canadian flags sewn to their packs.

This guy was well-dressed, wore a (low-end) gold Tag Heuer watch but was a real a**hole.

He made no effort to say hi to the cashier, not even in English yelled his order at him, got upset when the cashier didn't understand something he hadn't even said yet ( cut in half, on a plate, eat in ) then while they were making his chicken wrap, he talked loudly in the phone and before they served it, he leaned in agressively and made chopping motions with his hand and yelled "Cut, cut cut!"

I hope his next interaction today is with an end-of-his-rope, samurai-carrying Thai taxi driver. What a dick.

She's judging only by superficial appearances. Any fool can wash up and put on some long pants. I judge this vendor to be not a deep thinker.

Oh come on Jingthing, i am sure you if not a deep thinker are at least an intelligent person ,judging by your posts ,even you must admit that half the dross that hangs around Pattaya look as if they were just released from a prison . doesnt it make you a little ashamed that even a poor working class Thai woman who has very little looks down on a large percentage of westerners here?

I could not agree more with you, i am always ashamed when i see western slobs, with their tats etc, usually half boozed hanging off a little lady of the street, and i wonder what the average thai thinks, even when they are used to seeing these people must feel some resentment to westerners coming here and behaving like this - i feel that i hope i am not looked on in the same way - so i always dress neatly when i go out - not hard to freshen up look presentable - but seems some dont give a damm - maybe that the way they act and behave back home and i wonder if they would be tolerated back home- dont think so. if thailand had a big cleanup of all the scum farang here and send them back home then perhaps this country might have a better reputation, dont see thais acting low class back in the villages - just being themselves

I am always ashamed as a Westerner seeing geriatric farangs walking around Thailand in their polo shirts, walking shorts and sensible shoes with a Thai lady a third of their age on their arms

Who are they kidding ?

The fact is clothes do not make the man dear boy...mutton dressed as lamb etc...if you are a low class person wearing polo shirts, walking shorts and sensible shoes will not give you respectability as much as you think it will

• Like 1

Threads like these are a chance for the grossly insecure to justify themselves via some sort of Confirmation Bias...

Frankly no one really cares what you wear, nor how any of you think you appear in the eyes of a nation of 6 million people...

DH....think discussing confimation bias on the Pattaya forum is a tad too intellectual for the vast majority of TV finest Pattaya residents......they would think its to do with double pricing or something

You can manage on 340,000 baht a year?

• Like 2

Threads like these are a chance for the grossly insecure to justify themselves via some sort of Confirmation Bias...

Frankly no one really cares what you wear, nor how any of you think you appear in the eyes of a nation of 6 million people...

Which nation are you referring to?

There's sixty million plus in the Thai nation...

DH....think discussing confimation bias on the Pattaya forum is a tad too intellectual for the vast majority of TV finest Pattaya residents......they would think its to do with double pricing or something

cheesy.gif

Hate to burst the bubble,but i think the gay boys might just be looking at your wallet as wellbiggrin.png

Sure, but they appreciate a good physique too.....biggrin.png... and they're not shy about it at all.

• Like 2

Just to point out,

A huge percentage of male Thais are covered in tattoos, including many monks.

If they are going to send anyone home, let it be the old foreigners who bought a house under false pretences.

Not forgetting to get rid of the foreigners who don't take care of their bodies (the fat and lazy).

Too many Colonel Blimps with their arrogant colonial attitudes floating around.

You know who you are, go home!

• Like 1

It would be interesting to have a thread on what Thai's think about foreigners.

Not just the one's in Patttaya.

But in there defense I was in Starbucks on the beach road and there was a couple selling orange juice out side the shop. When I left I asked how much they said 20 baht the same price I was paying here. I said I will take 5 he put 5 in the bag smiled at me and put another one in.

Being as I live in Thailand I care what they think about us. People who don't care are just giving them selves a license to do what ever they want. That is why they come here because they can't do it back home.

Didn't care there either biggrin.png

I said do it back home. Not think it.

Big difference.biggrin.png

"That is why they come here because they can't do it back home."

Pretty general statement there northernjohn. I dressed the way I wanted to dress where I

came from without giving a damn what anyone thought and I came here because a friend

asked me for help. Here, there, makes no difference to me and I try to mind my own business

wherever I am. You might give that a go.

And there is the voice of "common sense"...........good reply

<snip>

If they are going to send anyone home, let it be the old foreigners who bought a house under false pretences.

Not forgetting to get rid of the foreigners who don't take care of their bodies (the fat and lazy).

Maybe the fashion police and the physique police could join forces, save money and provide an essential social sevice of ridding Thailand of those too chubby to fit in or tourists who don't follow the strict dress code for foreigners here?

</sarcasm>

• Like 1

<snip>

Maybe the fashion police and the physique police could join forces, save money and provide an essential social sevice of ridding Thailand of those too chubby to fit in or tourists who don't follow the strict dress code for foreigners here?

</sarcasm>

Problem with the fashion police, we all think different fashions are the right one.

I spend a fortune on hoodies, wicking sports clothing and running shoes.

Anyone who ain't wearing $100+ running shoes or $100+ hoodies, arrest and deportation IMHO.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1