Radically altering chanot boundaries

We have found a very nice piece of land half of which is for sale.

Here's the thing.

It is in the form of two very long narrow strips side by side.....each too narrow....about 25m....to be attractive to us.

One strip is for sale, and the other the owner is thinking of just keeping growing lumyay.

Here is what I'm thinking.

My wife and I would only be interested in a wider piece and at one particular end near the road (which passes a narrow end of the long rectangle)

We're considering asking the non-selling owner if he like us would prefer a less narrow lot.

In other words instead of two lots about 25m by 240m we would cut the total across ways instead of longways and each have a lot about 50m by 120m.

As he already has what he wants ie lumyay trees producing fruit I have to make this attractive for him....also bearing in mind we want the "better" end and we would need a little road down the said of the "front" lot for his entry.

A couple of things spring straight to mind, example if my wife develops the one piece to a high quality it will certainly change the nature of the area and raise prices considerably on what he will own.

Another is we might offer for him to end up with a little more land more than 50%.

Any ideas or input on this negotiation very welcome, but I am also particularly interested about the logistics of such a redelineation of chanot, and whether the land office would be asking for transfer fees/taxes over and above the fees normally asked on the sale of the half. In other words if you radically alter a chanot of two lots each with different owners meaning essentially the owner of some of the sq wah changes, are fees more than normal surveying fees etc charged?

All input welcome!

Edited by cheeryble

Yes, chainot bundaries can be modified; when creating a road; splitting a ground betwen differents heirs..... My MIL bought few years ago a ground that was originaly on 7 differents paper. She asked if a reunification could be done. The land department said yes....but i am unsure she finally did it. Your problem is about the 2 differents owner .... I advice you and your wife to sort it out all by yourself with the land department before talk to to the second owner; especially about the financial conditions. They aren't very high so if you consider to take them all on your charge; the second owner might be well interested ith your idea as he will "win" something.

Thankyou Rv

Yes agree.....most modifications of chanot are simply several pieces of land (often mixed titles and shapes) owned by one person being made into one cohesive lot, or one large lot being cut into sellable parcels, but it must be less common to have two or more owners wishing to re-arrange their ownerships.

Paying for surveying is one thing, perhaps a few thousand baht and fair enough, but paying sales transfer on land that is not REALLY being sold might be a little too much pain.

Again thanks and all experiences welcome!

I suspect you have to acquire the whole lot at least on paper and then get the Land office to re-divide it and transfer paart back to the other owner. There is usually a long queue just to get land resurveyed, unless you pay a bribe to jump it and this should require new surveys. In the process of doing all this you might find that the deeds are inaccurate. My mother-in-law had a 35 rai plot increased by about half a rai with a new survey, much to the irritation of the next door neighbour who lost out.

I suspect you have to acquire the whole lot at least on paper and then get the Land office to re-divide it and transfer paart back to the other owner. There is usually a long queue just to get land resurveyed, unless you pay a bribe to jump it and this should require new surveys. In the process of doing all this you might find that the deeds are inaccurate. My mother-in-law had a 35 rai plot increased by about half a rai with a new survey, much to the irritation of the next door neighbour who lost out.

Hmmm I'm not one to jump queues but I believe it's possible to get a "private survey" done by an LO officer out of hours.

The legal part is fairly straightforward, the hurdle will be convincing the neighbour that it's to his benefit and not some complicated falang scheme to rip him off.

I think that's right Johnny

I was there taking a peek last week and the guy turned up.

I said I was looking at the birds (which was partly true).

However I came clean, we had a chat, and I liked him a pleasant individual he seemd guileless.

I misunderstood that he was owning both pieces and selling one and ran my little idea past him with a favourable response.

It then turned out later I had got it wrong when his son was sick he had sold half to a BKK lady some time ago who was now selling it and he wasn't thinking of selling his piece.......so whether the favourable response to re-delineation was for after we bought the lot from BKK lady or he was just nodding to anything who knows.

It later turned out he is an old friend of Mum, a very much liked lady (including by me) and lives close and wifey says he knows of me.

So I guess that may help, though yes I agree Thais can think quite simple schemes are headache-producers.

I think this will go into the category of "jump in 6 times and you'll come out smelling of roses sooner or later"!

ps would still like to know about logistics and experiences tho yes of course wife can go to LO.

Edited by cheeryble