Thai Democrats resolve to boycott February 2 election

webfact

As far as I can tell, "political reform" means disenfranchising everyone who would probably vote against you. (So reminiscent of the Republican Party in the U.S.) Suthep reminds me of the childhood bully who keeps trying to steal the ball and won't play unless he can legally cheat.

• Like 2

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the USA, we frequently have uncontested elections. It doesn't even make the news; and life goes on.

I say move forward with the elections and WHEN the PTP win by an unassailable majority, anyway, they will still be seen as a legitimate albeit uncontested government. PTP's job now is to get turnout so high that it legitimizes the results. Ergo, even if contested, the yellows (how appropriate) would not have won, anyway.

But they've already done that - They won 265 seats out of 500 available. If you add up all the seats left and call them all yellow for the sake of it they still would have only 235.

How many seats more than the other parties do you need to get in this system of yours to be legit? 300, 400?

• Like 1

"Democrats resolve to boycott election"

Oh <deleted>, what is going on? The dems cannot be buying into suthep's fascist BS. What choice does the country now have? A criminal PT who will continue to drive the country into bankruptcy through greed and idiotic schemes or the nationalistic, fascist BS Suthep is pushing. The poisoned chalace or the hangman's noose. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

What they can do if they don't have the funds for vote buying?

To make a reform panel against corruption and vote buying isn't fascist....can't recall Hitler or Mussolini fought for clean Democracy....

The Democrats have more cash then any other political parties. Look at CP Group, Bangkok Bank etc to give you an idea. The Democrats are backed by Chinese Thai's in Bangkok. When Thaksin came to power he left the Chinese Thai's out of Bangkok and burned money in the North and Northeast. Bangkok Chinese didn't like that. Not to mention Thaksin was a Chinese Thai from Chiang Mai.

All the Chinese Thai's from Bangkok supported him in the beginning, but Thaksin only gave them bones. The Chinese Thai's in Bangkok have to be a bid careful as they are crossing lately often the red lines.

If 15 million people from Isaan, North Thailand and Central Thailand are starting to boycott CP Group, Bangkok Bank, Chang Beer etc because those guys back the Democrat Party they will loose a lot of money on the long-term.

• Like 1

Every 5 years the Dem Party would find the village and say "vote for us it will be better next time" so the village people did and nothing changed. Off they went to Bangkok never to be seen for another 5 years. Along came Thaksin "Vote for me it will be different next time" so in 2001 they give the new guy a try. The guy delivered his 30 baht health care and ever since he has been the messiah of the millions. Its not that Thaksin gave them alot its just that the DEms gave them nothing for 60 years. The treatment by the so called elites of poor people in Thailand will never be forgotten and it is inconceivable to think that the fact they are totally unelectable will ever change.

These few people cannot just dismiss 15,000,000 voters like it was the 1950's. If they remove the government of choice there can be only bloodshed but if civil war is the way forward we cannot stop it. Only hope the right people cop the bullets and not the foot soldiers on both sides. A little bit of Nicolae Causcescu...round the back for certain individuals

Nice little red shirt bed time story. Do you realise that the Democrats have only been in power for 9 years in total?

For some its not a story its a nightmare

A bit like a ghost story right? Complete BS?

Thailand doesn't have any real credible politicians on either side, well not enough to run a government anyway!

Whoever wins the day will rule the trough, greed & corruption is rampant in all parties, all businesses & all institutions.

It has kept Thailand where it has been for years & will keep it their for many more to come.

The education non-system will actually make sure that it will not improve with time either, as the un-educated will stay that way & the privileged will always win.

In fact any nation that thinks Thailand is a country worth investing in, other than a quick buck to be made then they need to look elsewhere.

Thailand has been on the slide for sometime & is now at an all time low, brought about by one corrupt family/government after another.

On a sure path to self destruction.. I for one am looking for another country to reside in..

Khun Abhisit Vejjajiva has just committed treason, for the first time he has publicly stalemated the Thai constitution on his own malevolence. In so doing he has prevented an election being run due to his own malfeasance. At the very least he should be disqualified for life and for that matter his co-conspirator (Suthep) should be banned for life again but this time also banned from being an MP, Minister or leader.

These too incompetents, Abhisit and Suthep, have damaged Thailand beyond reason. If the Thai Army coups as a result of their traitorous deeds one hopes that the Army will bring the conspirators to justice since this time they have actually defeated Thailand's Army in its primary duty in defending The Monarchy, it's Lands and Charter.

• Like 1

Khun Abhisit Vejjajiva has just committed treason, for the first time he has publicly stalemated the Thai constitution on his own malevolence. In so doing he has prevented an election being run due to his own malfeasance. At the very least he should be disqualified for life and for that matter his co-conspirator (Suthep) should be banned for life again but this time also banned from being an MP, Minister or leader.

These too incompetents, Abhisit and Suthep, have damaged Thailand beyond reason. If the Thai Army coups as a result of their traitorous deeds one hopes that the Army will bring the conspirators to justice since this time they have actually defeated Thailand's Army in its primary duty in defending The Monarchy, it's Lands and Charter.

Treason? For not standing in an election? rolleyes.gif

Has the election been cancelled? If not, then what has Abhisit prevented?

• Like 1

Every 5 years the Dem Party would find the village and say "vote for us it will be better next time" so the village people did and nothing changed. Off they went to Bangkok never to be seen for another 5 years. Along came Thaksin "Vote for me it will be different next time" so in 2001 they give the new guy a try. The guy delivered his 30 baht health care and ever since he has been the messiah of the millions. Its not that Thaksin gave them alot its just that the DEms gave them nothing for 60 years. The treatment by the so called elites of poor people in Thailand will never be forgotten and it is inconceivable to think that the fact they are totally unelectable will ever change.

These few people cannot just dismiss 15,000,000 voters like it was the 1950's. If they remove the government of choice there can be only bloodshed but if civil war is the way forward we cannot stop it. Only hope the right people cop the bullets and not the foot soldiers on both sides. A little bit of Nicolae Causcescu...round the back for certain individuals

Nice little red shirt bed time story. Do you realise that the Democrats have only been in power for 9 years in total?

For some its not a story its a nightmare

A bit like a ghost story right? Complete BS?

No it's why Thaksin kees winning elections.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Since they will only get 25% of the vote anyway , who cares if they boycott it or not.

Suthep is not interested in Democracy or the electorate, only in his own personal gain.

Il Duce of Bangkok - he makes less sense that Oswald Mosely did back in the 40s, rants and gesticulates more than Mussolini and makes as much sense as a chocolate ashtray.

The other side are no better but at least Yingluck is easy on the eye...........

I'm curious about the source for your figure of "only 25% of the vote" ?

Wikipedia gives the Dems 35.15% in 2011 and 39.63% in December-2007.

• Like 1

Everyone rattles on here about the Democrats not upholding democracy and the law in Thailand. Do most people here believe Thailand is a democracy, and if so do the current government work in a democratic way? Its a Shinawatra dictatorship, who now have also bought some of the military. The ordinary people of Thailand deserve a better government who work for the people. Something needs to be done.

Who are you to talk about Shinawatra dictatorship maybe you do not known but they work for the people. Did you ever meet any Shinawatra's? Where do you get your ideas about them do you known anyone except me that has meet them?

No it's why Thaksin kees winning elections.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm just wondering how the Democrats were supposed to have done anything for the people up North, when they have only been in power for a total of 9 years since 1932.

It's just a red shirt/Thaksin fairy tale being used to keep the people in the north and north east voting for Thaksin's proxy parties.

• Like 2

I am willing to take bets the democrats will do a back flip with pike between now and nomination day.

They will be there in the election, as there is too much to lose for the members. They want their snouts at the trough, albeit at a smaller trough than the government, they will still feel the need to have some power.

Everyone rattles on here about the Democrats not upholding democracy and the law in Thailand. Do most people here believe Thailand is a democracy, and if so do the current government work in a democratic way? Its a Shinawatra dictatorship, who now have also bought some of the military. The ordinary people of Thailand deserve a better government who work for the people. Something needs to be done.

Who are you to talk about Shinawatra dictatorship maybe you do not known but they work for the people. Did you ever meet any Shinawatra's? Where do you get your ideas about them do you known anyone except me that has meet them?

They 'work for the people'! Damn, all along I thought they were working for their own benefit and enriching themselves! Thank you for correcting us and telling us that. We've been wrong about them. Thaksin should be allowed back because we were wrong. They're not corrupt and they're working for our benefit. I wish I could meet the Shinwatras in person and apologize!

• Like 1

I am willing to take bets the democrats will do a back flip with pike between now and nomination day.

They will be there in the election, as there is too much to lose for the members. They want their snouts at the trough, albeit at a smaller trough than the government, they will still feel the need to have some power.

Todays announcement is at the request of their backers , who unsuprisingly are Sutheps backers. Just a vane attempt to get a few more on the street tomorrow. If the firework is not lit tomorrow I tend to agree they will be back in the election. March with Suthep, Disown Suthep, back Suthep, it fails tomorrow disown Suthep. Remind me why these honorable Democrats are unelectable

• Like 1

Suthep has played his hand.

The Dems don't want an election because they know they can't win it.

Therefore he wants chaos.

The people pulling his strings are willing to risk all (read my earlier posts) because the prize is so big.

A totalitarian state run paying lip service to monarchy, the establishment back in control.

Big business won't care, tourists don't care as long as there is some signs of stability.

But of course there are the people, who won't stand for this.

So we need to have a revolution and sort out these elites once and for all.

As I stated earlier, we are witnessing the death rattle of the establishment, who won't go down without a fight but it's too late, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The military needs to be careful, the USA won't accept any more coups which put these bastards back into power.

So just as the establishment yielded power to the people in most western democracies, so they will yield here too.

No, if there's a death rattle, it's the death rattle of a corrupt government that wants so much to continue stealing. The smart thing for them to do was to compromise and to work together with the opposition and impliment some reforms. Now, look at what has happened. It's going to be 2006 all over again. You think the USA cares if there's a coup. They'll do their usual doublespeak about supporting democracy blah blah blah then it's business as usual. 2006 is the perfect example. Any sanctions by the Americans or anyone else for that better?

Ah, Gerry, there you are.

before Thaksin there was no credible opposition.

The pigs spent 12 months a year at the trough and thought it could never change.

the bonanza of natural resources plus the booming tourism economy was all theirs, and rightfully theirs from family rights and blood ties to the ancient establishment.

this upstart, Thaksin, not even from Bangkok came along and played the game to his advantage, and ever since they've been crying foul.

Thaksin was smart, he unleased the power of the people.

The yellows are just Bangkok public servants and are all brainwashed, hence the significance of their yellow colour. Forelock tuggers every one.

They are absolutely snookered.

They know they can't win an election.

So the only choice left is to bring on another coup.

yes the USA does care, or didn't you listen to the US ambassadore's comments?

These greedy corrupt families who control the Democrats and have controlled Thailand for the past 200 years are just about to have it all taken away from them.

Of course, they'll fight to the death, and they have no concience about what damage they cause.

But, you can't stop the tide, and the tide has turned.

Watch and learn.

Ooooh 'they' the mysterious amart, the Bangkok elite that somehow mystically syphon money from Thailand without actually being i power. A mysterious set of unnamed people that are the cause of all Isaan ills.

Do you know who these people are?

I have an office on Silom, have been there since 2001. We get a taste of all colors of protests there. There really is no big difference between the people on the pro and anti govt crowds.

Your anti amart rhetoric is nothing more than regurgitating hate speech. Hate speech that is designed to have people hate the other side so

Much that they will overlook many sins that their own side are guilty of.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

yeah...ahm...pedro actually there are some very good pieces of journalism out there...only they are not available in Thailand or at least difficult (and not without risk) to get and to possess.

But of course, it is people like you, who are Thai'er than Thai, who swallow all the c-r-a-p that gets fed to all Thailand for decades.

Yes- there are very rich and very connected people...VERY connected, who have a great interest in what is going on right now.

The pawns are being lined up now and this special chess- game will begin, when a normal chess game would end.

Don't worry- you will maybe never "see" the amart...but they are there.

And they are not very mysterious: they just hide very well and protect themselves with laws, that make them untouchable.

Edited by DocN
  • Like 1

Thai opposition announces election boycott

BANGKOK, December 21, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's main opposition Democrat Party on Saturday announced it would boycott snap elections in the crisis-gripped kingdom, as protesters prepare to ramp up rallies aimed at toppling the government.

Party members -- who resigned as MPs en masse to join the demonstrations that have rocked Bangkok for weeks -- voted against participating, according to Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

"The meeting of party executives and former party lawmakers resolved that the Democrat Party will not send candidates to contest in the February 2, 2014 general election," he said in a press conference following the meeting.

Embattled premier Yingluck Shinawatra, who called the elections in an effort to cool tensions, has insisted the polls will go ahead regardless of the Democrat decision.

But the move throws Democrat backing firmly behind protesters who are calling for democracy to be suspended for an unelected "people's council" to be installed to enact reforms before a future vote.

Demonstrators want to rid the country of Yingluck and the influence of her Dubai-based brother Thaksin -- an ousted billionaire ex-premier who is despised by a coalition of the southern Thai poor, Bangkok middle classes and elite.

Politically-turbulent Thailand has seen several bouts of political turmoil since Thaksin was ousted in a military coup in 2006, with rival protests sometimes resulting in bloody unrest.

"The Democrats think the elections will not solve the country's problems, lead to reform, or regain people's faith in political parties," Abhisit said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-21

Todays announcement is at the request of their backers , who unsuprisingly are Sutheps backers. Just a vane attempt to get a few more on the street tomorrow. If the firework is not lit tomorrow I tend to agree they will be back in the election. March with Suthep, Disown Suthep, back Suthep, it fails tomorrow disown Suthep. Remind me why these honorable Democrats are unelectable

Haha no they won't. They'll stick to their boycott and it will be 2006 all over again!

• Like 1

Suthep has played his hand.

The Dems don't want an election because they know they can't win it.

Therefore he wants chaos.

The people pulling his strings are willing to risk all (read my earlier posts) because the prize is so big.

A totalitarian state run paying lip service to monarchy, the establishment back in control.

Big business won't care, tourists don't care as long as there is some signs of stability.

But of course there are the people, who won't stand for this.

So we need to have a revolution and sort out these elites once and for all.

As I stated earlier, we are witnessing the death rattle of the establishment, who won't go down without a fight but it's too late, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The military needs to be careful, the USA won't accept any more coups which put these bastards back into power.

So just as the establishment yielded power to the people in most western democracies, so they will yield here too.

No, if there's a death rattle, it's the death rattle of a corrupt government that wants so much to continue stealing. The smart thing for them to do was to compromise and to work together with the opposition and impliment some reforms. Now, look at what has happened. It's going to be 2006 all over again. You think the USA cares if there's a coup. They'll do their usual doublespeak about supporting democracy blah blah blah then it's business as usual. 2006 is the perfect example. Any sanctions by the Americans or anyone else for that better?

Ah, Gerry, there you are.

before Thaksin there was no credible opposition.

The pigs spent 12 months a year at the trough and thought it could never change.

the bonanza of natural resources plus the booming tourism economy was all theirs, and rightfully theirs from family rights and blood ties to the ancient establishment.

this upstart, Thaksin, not even from Bangkok came along and played the game to his advantage, and ever since they've been crying foul.

Thaksin was smart, he unleased the power of the people.

The yellows are just Bangkok public servants and are all brainwashed, hence the significance of their yellow colour. Forelock tuggers every one.

They are absolutely snookered.

They know they can't win an election.

So the only choice left is to bring on another coup.

yes the USA does care, or didn't you listen to the US ambassadore's comments?

These greedy corrupt families who control the Democrats and have controlled Thailand for the past 200 years are just about to have it all taken away from them.

Of course, they'll fight to the death, and they have no concience about what damage they cause.

But, you can't stop the tide, and the tide has turned.

Watch and learn.

OMG!

This guy is delusional.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

bizarre post... IF i understand what you are trying to say i'm not really sure how you conclude it was abhisit's decision for all the democrat party members not to stand in the election, nor how it would be "treason" if he had done so